What are some popular theories in the fandom that you can't see happening?

20 hours ago, BlackLightning said:

Just because YG is "the real shit" doesn't mean that YG will get the throne.

Stannis is the true heir to the Iron Throne in the Baratheon dynasty yet....he and his army are freezing and starving a couple miles outside of Winterfell facing a well-fed army instead of being nestled away nicely within King's Landing.

I know I just have my frustrations with the arrogance of Jon Snow fans (who I foresee disliking his own parents after he learns who they are because they were doing something dishonorable that destroyed House Targaryen, after all) and Dany fans. You are right though, don’t mean he will not, but it don’t mean that they will either.

6 hours ago, GoldenGail3 said:

I know I just have my frustrations with the arrogance of Jon Snow fans (who I foresee disliking his own parents after he learns who they are because they were doing something dishonorable that destroyed House Targaryen, after all) and Dany fans. You are right though, don’t mean he will not, but it don’t mean that they will either.

While it is possible that Jon will come to have an appreciation and respect for his real parents, I agree: Jon is not going to be relieved or happy. Nor will he be developing fuzzy feelings towards them.

As a matter of fact, there's a good chance that Jon himself will try to keep his parentage a secret and will make a point to silence anyone who figures it out or hears that.

And all that is assuming that Jon will even be in a normal headspace after the trauma of betrayal, death, living life as a direwolf and resurrection. If we assume that Jon will be more like Lady Stoneheart than Beric Dondarrion, then...well, we have a problem.

On 8/30/2020 at 5:48 AM, The Lord of the Crossing said:

Giving Weseros back to the Children and having the humans migrate back to Essos would be good things to happen.  I don't know if it will but it would be for the best. 

Having the great houses die out in the west is another good thing.  

I just don't see Jon Snow using his death and ressurection as an excuse to get out of his vows, assuming he's at all like the man we have known him to be. His ark so far seems to me to be all about figuring out what the honorable thing to do is. One of the things we learn right off the bat in these books is that the Starks are honorable, arguably to a fault. Jon has been no different from the rest of his family in this regard, so using the out offered by Bowen Marsh's folly to abandon the Nights Watch seems unlike Jon. He might still try to leave to save fArya, but that depends on how long he is out of commission. But I don't think he will leave for good.

Of course, this depends on Jon coming back as Jon, and not some weird revenge zombie like Catelyn. I do hope Jon Snow doesn't come back as a hollow shell being controlled by some darker force.

On 9/2/2020 at 8:23 AM, BlackLightning said:

That's actually a very nice ending.

Giving Westeros back to the Children and the Others and other old races and letting the Starks, the wildlings, the Northmen and other people of the First Men ethnicity stay to rule while everyone else leaves makes for a very nice ending. Especially if Bran Stark is made to stay to rule over a primordial Westeros as its king.

Makes sense given that Dany spent so much time and effort making Essos into a better, safer place.

No way! I would want the Northmen to go back to Essos too. They were the first to start butchering the indigenous peoples of Westeros. The Andals just finished the job.

1 hour ago, Hodor the Articulate said:

No way! I would want the Northmen to go back to Essos too. They were the first to start butchering the indigenous peoples of Westeros. The Andals just finished the job.

You mean the northerners and all those south of the neck who are descendants of the First Men, right? 

On 9/3/2020 at 5:58 AM, Nathan Stark said:

I just don't see Jon Snow using his death and ressurection as an excuse to get out of his vows, assuming he's at all like the man we have known him to be. His ark so far seems to me to be all about figuring out what the honorable thing to do is. One of the things we learn right off the bat in these books is that the Starks are honorable, arguably to a fault. Jon has been no different from the rest of his family in this regard, so using the out offered by Bowen Marsh's folly to abandon the Nights Watch seems unlike Jon. He might still try to leave to save fArya, but that depends on how long he is out of commission. But I don't think he will leave for good.

Of course, this depends on Jon coming back as Jon, and not some weird revenge zombie like Catelyn. I do hope Jon Snow doesn't come back as a hollow shell being controlled by some darker force.

I see him doing exactly that. I think he will be fed up with everyone in the NW, and he's gonna go and try to save fArya. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/30/2020 at 2:06 PM, RedDragon said:

Jon’s betrayal has more to do with a handful of highly placed black brothers that are both short sighted and so stuck in their misplaced notions that they can’t see the danger in leaving the others a bunch of possible fodder for their undead army. 

Jon’s mistake wasn’t political or a lack of good leadership it was that he loved his little sister too much and didn’t want her in the hands of a northerner that would threaten a high officer of the culturally revered nights watch. 

I guess the alternative is you believe that the steward that fell for Mances feints is a decent military leader. 

The alternative, the one that serves the best interest of the N/W and the kingdom, was for Jon to forget about Arya and do his job at the wall.  Like every other men of the watch who have their own loved ones back home and yet still are expected to put all of that aside and do their jobs.  I would not trust Jon to lead.  

On 9/17/2020 at 8:24 PM, Texas Hold Em said:

The alternative, the one that serves the best interest of the N/W and the kingdom, was for Jon to forget about Arya and do his job at the wall.  Like every other men of the watch who have their own loved ones back home and yet still are expected to put all of that aside and do their jobs.  I would not trust Jon to lead.  

His announcement at the hall was the conspirators pretext to Assassinate Jon Snow BECAUSE he was doing his job. By that point you can argue that they already betrayed their vows to stay out of politics by giving ANYTHING to stannis.

theres also a bunch to be said for the fact that in context Jon decided to march because he, the lord commander and head of the nights watch was in all intent and purposes threatened. Once a commander on that level is treated like that it basically spells the end for any organization.

On 9/2/2020 at 11:58 PM, Nathan Stark said:

Jon is willing to break his oath for his family.  That has been established in the first novel.  He is not the honorable person that his defenders believe him to be.  Maybe Ned was honorable.  His boys were not. Robb and Jon are oath breakers. 

On 9/19/2020 at 9:00 PM, RedDragon said:

His announcement at the hall was the conspirators pretext to Assassinate Jon Snow BECAUSE he was doing his job. By that point you can argue that they already betrayed their vows to stay out of politics by giving ANYTHING to stannis.

theres also a bunch to be said for the fact that in context Jon decided to march because he, the lord commander and head of the nights watch was in all intent and purposes threatened. Once a commander on that level is treated like that it basically spells the end for any organization.

Jon was threatened because he started interfering with the Bolton's business.  To make matters worse, his man Mance and his accomplices sneaked inside Winterfell and started murdering Roose Bolton's men.  Jon was an idiot for messing with the Boltons.  What happens to Arya is no longer his concern.

2 hours ago, Texas Hold Em said:

Jon was threatened because he started interfering with the Bolton's business.  To make matters worse, his man Mance and his accomplices sneaked inside Winterfell and started murdering Roose Bolton's men.  Jon was an idiot for messing with the Boltons.  What happens to Arya is no longer his concern.

The word of a commander of the highly esteemed nights watch who holds a varyrian steel sword who has done great exploits like safe the previous lord commanders life, and heir to the legacy of the well loved eddard stark and brother to the young wolf versus the lords who help red wedding many of his own fellow vessels isn’t gonna go well for team Fillet people. 

men are not ruled by laws we’re ruled by men. It doesn’t matter half so much of what is or isn’t stupid or lawful all that really matters is what people think and we’ve been giving ample evidence that regardless of what you or I think the lords of the north are very predisposed to taking jons side over the Bolton’s 

On 9/21/2020 at 10:11 PM, The Lord of the Crossing said:

Jon is willing to break his oath for his family.  That has been established in the first novel.  He is not the honorable person that his defenders believe him to be.  Maybe Ned was honorable.  His boys were not. Robb and Jon are oath breakers. 

I hope this is role playing.

first off it could be argued ned was just as much of an oathbreaker as his children. Going with the rlj line of reasoning he decided to poison his relationship with his wife and lie about having a bastard to fullfill another oath to his sister or he just had a bastard breaking his marriage vows regardless. 

it’s kinda a reductionist view on the whole themes of honor to say they’re without honor, oath breakers sure but when you swear contradictory oaths that tends to happen. 

the stark family is willing to forswear oaths or their own personal honor for the honor of others, Jon did it for arya, Rob did it for Jayne, and Ned did it for lyanna. 

“A lie not without honor” ned said to arya about lying that her wolf ran away. 

It kinda shows that ned and by extension his children viewing the sacrifice of their own honor for others as noble even if it requires a normally un honorable act like lying or  oath breaking And I personally tend to agree with them 

15 hours ago, Texas Hold Em said:

That's similar to the logic of members of the Kingsguard turning a blind eye to Aerys's crimes.

History does not judge such men kindly.

Archived