What are some popular theories in the fandom that you can't see happening?

Westeros splitting back into petty kingdoms would not relay the message that "diplomacy and respect for other people's sovereignty is important" (which I don't see as a theme in this series, anyway). The petty kingdoms were constantly warring with each other, and banding together to fight the Others one time won't prevent this. What would embody the message is giving Westeros back to the COTF.

On 6/17/2020 at 10:57 PM, QhorinQuarterhand said:

I like your #3. None of the King Jon clues specifically hint at or require him to be King of Westeros. Considering his entire storyline has only ever been and felt like Winterfell/Stark/North/Ice, it is much more likely that Jon will be King of the North, King of Winter, King Beyond The Wall or a new Northern King title post Long Night 2.0.

Though I'm not convinced he will be King of anything. 

I think that's going to change in A Dream of Spring.

While Jon is a Stark, he is also a Targaryen.

On 6/17/2020 at 11:04 PM, QhorinQuarterhand said:

My #1 is: Any theory that only became popular because of the show. 

True. I can cosign this.

To answer the OP (not a response to any other post - that I can recall): the theory that of the Black Wedding.  Another poster posted in another thread that Jon Snow would be lured into a marriage to Meera Reed and tricked into letting the wights/White Walkers through the Black Gate.

It made no sense, to be honest. Creative thinking, obviously, but based on nothing but creative thinking.

On 7/26/2020 at 9:08 AM, BlackLightning said:

I think that she has learned enough to know that she can't leave Meereen like she left Astapor.

She has decided that Westeros is more important and rebuilding Meereen is not. Dragons plant no trees, meaning nothing good will grow.

On 7/27/2020 at 12:08 PM, R2D said:

The theory Euron raises a kraken.

Seems dumb.

I dont know how much he will be able to control one but there is a pattern of Tywin ignoring these fantastical threats of dragons - so I think krakens are included in that too. 

The eunuch drew a parchment from his sleeve. "A kraken has been seen off the Fingers." He giggled. "Not a Greyjoy, mind you, a true kraken. It attacked an Ibbenese whaler and pulled it under. There is fighting on the Stepstones, and a new war between Tyrosh and Lys seems likely. Both hope to win Myr as ally. Sailors back from the Jade Sea report that a three-headed dragon has hatched in Qarth, and is the wonder of that city—"
"Dragons and krakens do not interest me, regardless of the number of their heads," said Lord Tywin. "Have your whisperers perchance found some trace of my brother's son?"

Varys sighed. "They have surely earned death, Your Grace, none can deny it. And yet, perhaps we might be wiser to send them to the Night's Watch. We have had disturbing messages from the Wall of late. Of wildlings astir . . ."
"Wildlings, krakens, and dragons." Mace Tyrell chuckled. "Why, is there anyone not stirring?"
Lord Tywin ignored that. "The deserters serve us best as a lesson. Break their knees with hammers. They will not run again. Nor will any man who sees them begging in the streets." He glanced down the table to see if any of the other lords disagreed.

20 hours ago, Rose of Red Lake said:

She has decided that Westeros is more important and rebuilding Meereen is not. Dragons plant no trees, meaning nothing good will grow.

I dont know how much he will be able to control one but there is a pattern of Tywin ignoring these fantastical threats of dragons - so I think krakens are included in that too. 

Hmm you're right, that's some foreshadowing...

Everything about Mance Raydar basically. There are too many batshit crazy theories to say them all here, including ones that have a surprisingly large following despite the fact that if true, would mean GRRM became a different author entirely (based on the books I've read he's written). Hmmm, Tyrion being a secret Targaryen. I think he is Tywin's son...done. 

On 7/25/2020 at 7:47 AM, The Lord of the Crossing said:

The Targaryens brought needed stability to Westeros.  One only needs to see what happened less than 20 years after their departure to witness how Westeros has fallen back into squabbling little people

I've got to add my support for the Targaryens unifying the seven kingdoms. As has been said, the kingdoms (seven or more) were constantly at war with one another, for land and resources, for vengeance, probably just for fun sometimes. There had been thousands of years of this. It's almost inevitable when you have an area divided into separate kingdoms/nations that fights will be constantly breaking out; look at Old Europe.

For that matter, look at the early United States. The Federalist papers make the same point, and give several examples where border skirmishes involved the militias of neighboring states, disputing boundaries, trade, resources and the like, during the period that the US was under the Articles of Confederation. Hamilton presented this as a good argument for unifying all the states under strong federal, centralized control.

(Sorry; this conludes tonight's Boring History Summary.)

On 7/30/2020 at 4:29 PM, Rose of Red Lake said:

I agree with your summation of Euron raising krakens and other submarine beasts and using them to menace the people of Westeros.

However, I don't agree with your stance on Daenerys. Why? Daenerys has not actually decided that Westeros is more important than Meereen. There is no where in the text that states or suggests that. Daenerys has realized that she has made several big mistakes in rebuilding/ruling Meereen but she has not given up on Meereen. Although it's clear that her approach will change, Daenerys hasn't even changed her approach yet.

1 hour ago, BlackLightning said:

However, I don't agree with your stance on Daenerys. Why? Daenerys has not actually decided that Westeros is more important than Meereen. There is no where in the text that states or suggests that. Daenerys has realized that she has made several big mistakes in rebuilding/ruling Meereen but she has not given up on Meereen. Although it's clear that her approach will change, Daenerys hasn't even changed her approach yet.

I think she has, everything I'm bolding suggests that she has:

"Westeros. Home. But if she left, what would happen to her city?" "Meereen was never your city, her brother's voice seemed to whisper. Your cities are across the sea. Your Seven Kingdoms, where your enemies await you. You were born to serve them blood and fire.”

"The stream will take me to the river, and the river will take me home.” "Except it wouldn’t, not truly. Meereen was not her home, and never would be. It was a city of strange men with strange gods and stranger hair, of slavers wrapped in fringed tokars, where grace was earned through whoring, butchery was art, and dog was a delicacy. Meereen would always be the Harpy’s city, and Daenerys could not be a harpy.” 

"Never, said the grass, in the gruff tones of Jorah Mormont. You were warned, Your Grace. Let this city be, I said. Your war is in Westeros, I told you." “It is such a long way,” she complained. “I was tired, Jorah. I was weary of war. I wanted to rest, to laugh, to plant trees and see them grow. I am only a young girl.” "No. You are the blood of the dragon. The whispering was growing fainter, as if Ser Jorah were falling farther behind. Dragons plant no trees. Remember that. Remember who you are, what you were made to be. Remember your words."

Her brother's voice and Jorah's voice merges with her own in the end, and she sided with "them"

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/26/2020 at 6:08 PM, BlackLightning said:

I think that she has learned enough to know that she can't leave Meereen like she left Astapor.

I agree with that. But the world knows only slavery, from the Free Cities to Ashai, from the beginning of time until now. Braavos is the exception. But despite its economic power, in all its history, the model has propagated nowhere. How a 16 year old girl, nearly alone, can change that in a few months? Besides, the Red Priests, maybe Euron, maybe fAegon may force her to leave Essos soon. Before everything is safe and stable (supposing it's still possible).

I can't see the books not getting a happy ending, everyone is like "Dude, can't you see how George deals with his characters, how realistically kills them off, etc.", and I'm like "Have you ever watched a GRRM interview?" People talking about how his characters can't get a happy nor at least a bittersweet ending, but hey, these books are especially bulid up on character arcs, aren't you paying attention? Some people say that "Azor Ahai isn't even part of the story, Jon being a Targaryen means nothing, Sansa can't live a happy life in the end, nor anyone. Noone is worthy of the Iron Throne, but neither can the 7 Kingdoms split up again, and the dragons came back once again only to say afterwards that they went extinct TWICE!!! "Still, my favourites are the ones who criticise the feudalism system. Dude, in ASOIAF we're on the middle fucking age, it ain't perfect, noone said it is. Are you people even hear what the fucking hell are you speaking?

My question for the ones who think this way: Do you think GRRM made his characters suffer that much so in the end they can went into much more suffering or finally die? This is fantasy guys. These series are all about the game of the big boys and their union at the end for survival.

So, I personally think that characters like Jon, Dany, Arya, Sansa, Tyrion, Arianne, Jamie, Bran, Young Griff(bc being a Blackfyre doesn't mean you gotta die screaming), Asha or Theon can get a happy or a bittersweet ending, while the only reason for this not happening is that "but theyreeee main characters, they gotta dieaay". I know that not all of them will get happy ending, and I may say something new to you people: Plot armor always been a thing in ASOIAF, but we don't know who are the ones who wear it thanks to a genius named GRRM.

And especially, before making yourself an idiot in this forum, make sure you read every book at least twice and you watched at least a few interviews with Martin. 

On 7/26/2020 at 9:35 PM, Hodor the Articulate said:

Westeros splitting back into petty kingdoms would not relay the message that "diplomacy and respect for other people's sovereignty is important" (which I don't see as a theme in this series, anyway). The petty kingdoms were constantly warring with each other, and banding together to fight the Others one time won't prevent this. What would embody the message is giving Westeros back to the COTF.

Giving Weseros back to the Children and having the humans migrate back to Essos would be good things to happen.  I don't know if it will but it would be for the best. 

On 6/27/2020 at 8:40 PM, Kierria said:

We have seen the inabilities of the leaders in Westeros to get things done.  Tommen is not of an age and his regent is not sound at all.  The Martells are hung up on vengeance even knowing it will lead to war.  The maesters have one finger plugging their anus with the other feeling for treasures in their nostrils.  Jon Snow, the lord commander, betrayed his job and triggered a fight with the warden of the north.  The people of Westeros will be sending messengers to Daenerys and begging for her help.  How the Lannisters and the Starks feel about a Targaryen restoration will not matter.  It is time of the direwolf and the lion to become extinct.

I agree

On 5/25/2020 at 9:32 AM, Texas Hold Em said:

What are some popular theories in the fandom that you can't see happening?

1. Arya will stop killing and become normal again.  I do not think Arya will ever become normal.  I do not think she can get away from what she has done, what she has become.  
  2. Jon Snow will become the king of Westeros.   He is not cut out for leadership as has been proven at the Nights Watch.  He is one of the worst possible choices.  That is, unless George Martin really wants to heap more misery and tragedy on what will be left of Westeros.  
  3. The Others will be permanently defeated and the wall will no longer be needed.
  4. Shiera is Quaithe.

Jon’s betrayal has more to do with a handful of highly placed black brothers that are both short sighted and so stuck in their misplaced notions that they can’t see the danger in leaving the others a bunch of possible fodder for their undead army. 

Jon’s mistake wasn’t political or a lack of good leadership it was that he loved his little sister too much and didn’t want her in the hands of a northerner that would threaten a high officer of the culturally revered nights watch. 

I guess the alternative is you believe that the steward that fell for Mances feints is a decent military leader. 

8 hours ago, The Lord of the Crossing said:

I agree

This is an unhealthy amount of targ or dany worship. 

the starks opinion matter probably because they lead the north for  thousands of years and have done a pretty good job of it. 

Jon didn’t pick of a fight with the lords of the north the letter if we’re assuming it’s real to begin with which is far from certain was Ramsey picking a fight with him to protect “arya” the legality of which does not matter at all cause the lords of the north are just chomping at the bit to kill every frey and Bolton they can get their hands on. 

It seems like people are perfectly okay with pointing out how young and thus inexperienced Jon is yet they apparently fail to remember dany is around the same age. While she is a decent leader the same as Jon a bunch of her success comes from having 3 flying nukes when no one else does and a group of highly skilled people coming to her more because of her name and the opportunity she presented. 

I guess this doesn’t mean much to anyone who thinks dany did a bang up job in Meereen which to that I have to say absolutely not. Meereen is figuratively on fire if not literally because of dany ineptitude and no her good intentions does not make her rule anymore of a garbage fire 

8 hours ago, RedDragon said:

This is an unhealthy amount of targ or dany worship. 

the starks opinion matter probably because they lead the north for  thousands of years and have done a pretty good job of it. 

Jon didn’t pick of a fight with the lords of the north the letter if we’re assuming it’s real to begin with which is far from certain was Ramsey picking a fight with him to protect “arya” the legality of which does not matter at all cause the lords of the north are just chomping at the bit to kill every frey and Bolton they can get their hands on. 

It seems like people are perfectly okay with pointing out how young and thus inexperienced Jon is yet they apparently fail to remember dany is around the same age. While she is a decent leader the same as Jon a bunch of her success comes from having 3 flying nukes when no one else does and a group of highly skilled people coming to her more because of her name and the opportunity she presented. 

I guess this doesn’t mean much to anyone who thinks dany did a bang up job in Meereen which to that I have to say absolutely not. Meereen is figuratively on fire if not literally because of dany ineptitude and no her good intentions does not make her rule anymore of a garbage fire 

Jon and Dany fans make me almost wish that YG was the real shit so I can laugh at their tears as neither of them get the IT..

On 8/30/2020 at 10:53 PM, GoldenGail3 said:

Jon and Dany fans make me almost wish that YG was the real shit so I can laugh at their tears as neither of them get the IT..

Just because YG is "the real shit" doesn't mean that YG will get the throne.

Stannis is the true heir to the Iron Throne in the Baratheon dynasty yet....he and his army are freezing and starving a couple miles outside of Winterfell facing a well-fed army instead of being nestled away nicely within King's Landing.

On 8/30/2020 at 5:48 AM, The Lord of the Crossing said:

Giving Weseros back to the Children and having the humans migrate back to Essos would be good things to happen.  I don't know if it will but it would be for the best. 

That's actually a very nice ending.

Giving Westeros back to the Children and the Others and other old races and letting the Starks, the wildlings, the Northmen and other people of the First Men ethnicity stay to rule while everyone else leaves makes for a very nice ending. Especially if Bran Stark is made to stay to rule over a primordial Westeros as its king.

Makes sense given that Dany spent so much time and effort making Essos into a better, safer place.

Archived