Who would've been the best ruler for Westeros?

TyrionsFlagon

Someone with a stable temperament, who understands the nuances of soft power, aka how to get people to do what you want them to do without holding a machete to their neck, and someone who can read a fucking history book to not make the same mistakes of the past. Someone who eschews a cult of personality. Someone who provides food and dancing, less meathead war making. Ned would have been good for the North, but he underestimated folks in the South. Sam or Sansa fit my perfect rulers.

On 5/24/2020 at 5:58 PM, Roswell said:

Westeros badly indebted to the Iron Bank.  Political skills nor battle courage are not the most important qualities needed by then.  Robert and Jon Arryn needed to leave.  The better choice is a real Targaryen who will have goodwill from the east.  Viserys was a prick but with a capable small council would have been fine wearing the crown.  Time will pass and he would marry his little sister.  She can keep him in line.

Viserys would have been a nice temporary figure head while Princess Daenerys matures into the fine woman she will become. 

I couldn't make a final decision since everyone seems to lack some vital qualities. Here are few that might be at least decent kings/queens

Doran

The man obviously has intelligence and cunning. He seems understand political game and can predict long-term results of his actions. Doran also handled the whole Myrcella capture thing pretty well and got his family in check (Unlike Tywin). We can also see his love for the people when he hangs in the water gardens. Dorans health would cause some difficulties. Other lords might see this as weakness and be more prone to plot against him. His marriage with Norvosi wouldn't gain him any extra support in Westeros. If i remember correctly, Dorne can wield smallest army when compared to other regions and relations with Tyrells are bad.

Tywin

Tywin has the intelligence, experience and reputation to be great king. His reputation in itself would prevent many plans to rebel. Westeros prospered when he was the hand of the king. The Westerlands is the richest region in Westeros. Largest problem lies in the fact that Tywin is feared instead of loved. If any weakness occurred, other lords would probably try to exploit it. I thinks Tywin would make a better hand than king.

Aegon

I think Aegon as a dark horse in this competition. We know only a little about him but he seems alright. He's been teached about Westerosi history and religion. He has the best prestige from his house and is proving himself by conquering Stormlands. The kid seems to have courage and ambition. Although young, he's not some spoiled brat like Joffrey and doesn't act condescending. Of course it's too early be sure about all of this.

Daenerys 

Daenerys got her heart in the right place. Smallfolk would not need to worry about needless brutality if she was queen. She is not condescending like many other candidates and can uses advice on matters she doesn't know about. She can also use force when needed, which is needed quality to rule. Dragons and unsullied entirely devoted to her is massive advantage. Dany might just be the right person to possible rule best. The problem is that Westeros is mostly alien to her. She doesn't know any lords in Westeros and they don't know her. She seems to know only little about internal Westerosi politics, history and religion. This might cause some fatal mistakes and bad decision making. Not being able to have children might result in succession wars when she dies at least if Jon's or Aegon's indentity can't be fully proven. 

Since Westeros is a feudal society, who i want to be ruler is different than otherwise.

First, i am not really interested in changing monarchs because that leads to instabillity, and sometimes war. Which will affect the lives of everyone, mostly for the worse. 

That said changing a monarch or system can be morally good and in the longterm materially good for the people of Westeros. Examples are Magna Carta and the French revolution.

The potential candidates for king or ruler i would put in to camps. Those who do everything by the book they have been handed. Ofcourse the rules of Westeros is different than in a modern liberal democracy. Then, on the otherhand we have those who put selfish interest above those expectations. The actions of these rulers should be measured against the effect they will have on the common people. For example cheeting is bad, but cheeting while being the queen is criminal, when you take into account what kind of consequences it can have. 

Inside camp 1 (Does not rock the boats for the sake of it)

Tywin Lannister: While brutal, his actions has never been 

Eddard Stark: Only tried to hold individual accountable for the laws and norms that rule Westeros.

Robb Stark: Society expected him to take some action to the arrest of his kin in King's Landing. He did not have to march towards war, but it is understandable.

Jon Arryn:

Robert baratheon:

Inside camp 2

Rhaegar Targaryen: Kidnapping or eloping with a betrothed noblewoman is just irresponisble and unneccesary.

Cersei Lannister: Set the realm up for war by cheeting on her husband the king.

Joffrey baratheon: Megalomaniac whose selfish impulsive desires makes him unfit for kingship.

Petyr Baelish:

On 5/24/2020 at 12:49 PM, TyrionsFlagon said:

At the time of the first book, who do you think would've been the best king/queen for the realm?

I ask because my wife hates Ned and thinks every decision he made was a poor one. I asked her if she would like for Ned to be her boss/administrator. She said no. I told her Ned would've been a good king, which led to the discussion of which of the characters would've been the best monarch.

My choice would be Ned or Tywin. I think Cersei, LittleFinger, and Varys would be good options. Obviously Cersei was crazy by the time she was queen in Feast, but if she were Queen at the beginning of the first book- no Robert, no Tyrells, no threat from Stannis, she would've done well. 

Anyway, I'm interested to see what people think.

No to Varys, Cersei, and Littlefinger.  They don't have the leadership skills needed.  Stannis would have had the other houses in rebellion.  Littlefinger has too much personal interest in conflict with the common good.   

Ned is alright as long as he doesn't have Robb follow him on the throne.  Ditto for Tywin.  Do we really want Jaime or Tyrion on the throne?  Nope.  They can do well as long as it is a temporary stewardship.  Neither would make a good king though.  Ned's decision to arrest the Mountain was unsound.  Tywin is harsh and that can be a good thing.  However, he is like Littlefinger and much too invested in his own House to rule with balance.  

Randyll Tarly would be my choice as long as he does not get to pass the kingdom to his children.  He was willing to put the welfare of the people over his family.  Family should not be the most important concern for those in power.

Ned Stark and his children (particularly Robb, Jon, Sansa and Bran) would make for a great dynasty.

Catelyn would also make a great Queen and she'd be able to really reign in or outright circumvent Ned's dumber politics. Then I'd say Daenerys Targaryen would be the best ruler for Westeros.

Archived