Boarders writing a novel

Derfel Cadarn

Got 2 heartbreakingly close rejections from some pro markets in the past couple weeks. On the one hand, I'm thrilled I made it through to the final rounds of consideration, but on the other...gah being so close and then failing is so frustrating! These stories have also been submitted a lot of places so it's not like I can fool myself the next submission will go any better. Ah well. Onwards!

I also am back into querying for manuscript #7. We'll see how that goes.

54 minutes ago, Starkess said:

Got 2 heartbreakingly close rejections from some pro markets in the past couple weeks. On the one hand, I'm thrilled I made it through to the final rounds of consideration, but on the other...gah being so close and then failing is so frustrating! These stories have also been submitted a lot of places so it's not like I can fool myself the next submission will go any better. Ah well. Onwards!

I also am back into querying for manuscript #7. We'll see how that goes.

I know the feeling and how frustrating it can be. But it seems to be a step in the right direction.

Good luck with the query letters!

November 15th means that I've now been working on The Evil That Men Do for 8 months. Which amounts to 554 manuscript pages and about 155,000 words.

Only two scenes left to write in this final chapter plus the short epilogue, which means that I should complete this novel before December 15th. My objective was to finish it before the Holidays, so it appears that, barring unexpected problems, it's going to happen. :)

Can't quite believe it!

A nice review on Risingshadow.net of my third novel, Lord of the Hunt (they liked my first two too).

He's one of the best new fantasy authors I've come across.”

https://www.risingshadow.net/articles/reviews/1044-review-lord-of-the-hunt-by-david-craig

Edited by Derfel Cadarn

Not been too bad a month so far. Going by Amazon rankings, I've sold a copy of Resurrection Men and Lord of the Hunt in Amazon Uk Kindle, and a copy of Lord of the Hunt and Thorns of a Black Rose in Amazon US kindle. Plus an indie bookshop in Edinburgh has bought at least one copy of Lord of the Hunt for their shelves.

Also, got a really good review for Lord of the Hunt per my previous post.

Making good progress with the redrafting of Diabolic Immunity.  

also, here’s a link to a page (with video) of an urban explorer visiting the ghost station beneath Glasgow’s Botanic Gardens. It’s in Diabolic Immunity, and this website’s pictures and video have been invaluable, as I’ve been unable (so far) to effect entry to this place.

https://www.gcat.org.uk/urbex/?p=457

Edited by Derfel Cadarn

• 2 weeks later...

Well, fuck me!

Just put the finishing touches to the first draft of The Evil That Men Do and the manuscript is done! :) Wrote the words THE END for the third time in my life and it sure feels good!

Took a little less than 9 months to write, which is the fastest I ever wrote a novel. The final ms weighs in at 577 manuscript pages and about 161, 500 words.

Will let it lie there for a couple of weeks and I'll return to it during the Holidays to streamline everything by joining the different chapters of the two timelines. I'll then go through the entire manuscript another time and see if my agent wants to give it a shot.

Man, I wish I could celebrate, but we're in lockdown and everything is closed. Take-out appears to be my only option. :(

Finishing a novel that you're proud of. Nothing beats that feeling!!

So keep at it, folks! :)

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/10/2020 at 2:38 AM, The Grey Wolf said:

Congrats @Lord Patrek!

Thanks, my friend!

As planned, I started working on the second draft during the Holidays. Incorporating scenes from both timelines and putting together a cohesive and well-balanced whole was tricky at times, but overall I believe I did a good job. Finished putting the second draft together on Tuesday and now I'm going through another rewrite to make sure that everything works well.

I wanted to wait till the 3rd draft was done before querying my agent to see if he wanted to take a look at the manuscript, but I caved in. It's been a decade since he made any money with me, so I wasn't sure if he'd be willing to give the ms a shot. But while he waits for the new Tad Williams and Patrick Rothfuss, why not, right?

Well, I'm pleased to report that he's delighted to discover that I've written a new novel and he wants to read it! :) You guys know how hard it is to find an agent, so I wasn't looking forward to going through the process once again. I'll be forwarding him the manuscript as soon as I'm done with the 3rd draft.

I know it doesn't mean anything, but I'm excited! ;)

Keep at it and don't give up, you guys!

Hello all.

I'm a long time lurker, but I'm slowly getting around to becoming more active.

I'm currently hard at work on an epic fantasy trilogy entitled "Empire of Skulls." I'm halfway through the 4th draft of the first book, with 1st drafts completed of the next two books. After all is said and done, it will probably be around 500-600k words. It concerns a revolution against a tyrannical empire and involves a convergence of mythical gods and heroes. Off the top of my head, I would say my style is a mashup of GRR Martin, Steven Erikson, Glen Cook and R. Scott Bakker. It's a mix of gritty and high fantasy, with a huge cast of characters, and a very well developed setting. I hope to have the first two books ready for beta readers by the end of the year. I'm hoping to eventually find an agent and go the traditional publishing route. 

Also, congrats Patrek!

Do y'all know anyone who would be willing to serve as a beta-reader for my upcoming anthology?

I'm a random stranger, who has never done any beta reading  before, but what exactly would that entail?

Hey thanks!

And good luck with your own series! :)

A beta reader "test-drives" a story and provides feedback on everything that works and, especially, on what doesn't. Based on that feedback, the author can then make adjustments prior to submitting to agents/editors. As a matter of course, there can be additional drafts for beta readers to review before submissions can be sent out.