Boarders writing a novel

Derfel Cadarn

Just heard back from Matt. I knew it was a long shot, but I had to try. And though he enjoyed the manuscript, since his wife died he's no longer looking to expand his client list. Especially since basically everyone of them has written a new novel during the pandemic, which is why it took him so long to get to mine. Unless it's a sure bestseller, he passes on pretty much everything.

He had some nice things to say about the plot and the characters, and he thinks I'm not wasting my time trying to get this manuscript published. He encourages me to submit it to agents actively seeking new clients, which is what I'm going to do.

So the good news is that the story is good. Bad news is that I now have to go through the process of querying potential agents and keeping my fingers crossed.

Back on the grind! No rest for the wicked, I guess. . .

On 5/5/2021 at 3:34 PM, Lord Patrek said:

Just heard back from Matt. I knew it was a long shot, but I had to try. And though he enjoyed the manuscript, since his wife died he's no longer looking to expand his client list. Especially since basically everyone of them has written a new novel during the pandemic, which is why it took him so long to get to mine. Unless it's a sure bestseller, he passes on pretty much everything.

He had some nice things to say about the plot and the characters, and he thinks I'm not wasting my time trying to get this manuscript published. He encourages me to submit it to agents actively seeking new clients, which is what I'm going to do.

So the good news is that the story is good. Bad news is that I now have to go through the process of querying potential agents and keeping my fingers crossed.

Back on the grind! No rest for the wicked, I guess. . .

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully you’ll find a new agent.

40 minutes ago, Lord Patrek said:

Thanks. :) Gotta write a cover letter for the first time in over a decade and I find the process even harder than writing a novel!

Yeah definitely. Plus trying to condense a novel with multiple subplots and characters to 500 words

I thought about introducing a second plot thread in my book. This first takes place in my hometown in Indonesia from the perspective of my main character. The second would take place in my place of birth which is a university town in The Netherlands called Wageningen from the perspective of another character. 

Doing this would expand the view of the alternate world I'm building.

The trouble is my place of birth probably would not look all that different than it did in the real 1953 and possibilities for a profound story are limited.

Maybe there is some material here for another future book.

• 2 weeks later...