Boarders writing a novel

Derfel Cadarn

23 hours ago, Lord Patrek said:

Can you track the number of preorders? If so, are you satisfied with those sales?

Yes, I have 16 sold as of today. I'm pretty satisfied because I'm self-published and I've spent $0 on promotion.:cheers:

I don't know if people still remember, but I did post that I've been posting my story on Royal Road and Scribblehub. I've also managed to set up a Patreon. It has 20 patrons right now, which is not bad for an unknown author's first book!

I did spend $80 on the anime/manga-style cover for my ebook. Looks like I can't post an image here, lol, but if you look at my Amazon page https://www.amazon.com/dp/B094CY14YW and scroll down to the "Customers who bought this item also bought," you can see that the books similar to mine have a similar style.

By the way, if anyone else is also interested in Royal Road or Scribblehub, I could post the basics and pros/cons of doing that.

Major update for my upcoming book!

1) Spoon and Felix's short stories are complete! Final results are as follows:
“Autumn Eternal” (1826 words, 5 pages)
“Thursday Off” (3100 words, 8 pages)
“The Hound of Ashmire” (1525 words, 5 pages)
“Scotland’s Heir” (11033 words, 36 pages)

Total page count: 146 pages
Number of complete short stories: 12/13

2) Decided how many poems to include as bonus content. They are as follows:
”A Tribute to Emily Dickinson” (by yours truly)
“Jobs” (by Spoon)
Total number of poems: 2

3) The additional artwork will consist of 5 headshot sketches and 2 symbols
Total number of artwork: 17 (including bonus content)

Tentative release date: June 2021  

5 minutes ago, The Grey Wolf Strikes Back said:

Does anyone know how to word the copyrights page for an anthology of self-published short stories when some of them are in a shared setting created by one person mainly?

Just checked GRRM's Wild Cards books and each writer gets the copyright acknowledgement for the story they wrote.

5 hours ago, Lord Patrek said:

Check this Amazon link and use the "Look inside" function: https://www.amazon.com/Joker-Moon-Wild-Cards-Book-ebook/dp/B08GJR6DQS/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=wild+cards&qid=1623073331&s=books&sr=1-3&asin=1250168015&revisionId=&format=4&depth=1

You don't need to scroll down far to get to the Copyright Acknowledgements page.

Thanks. I guess the book as a whole would be copywritten under my name and the individual stories under that of their respective authors even if they take place in Mistland? (There's no equivalent of the Wild Cards Trust what with this being my first attempt at self-publishing so I'm honestly paranoid about getting tripped up on legal minutiae.)

Ooh, congrats @The Marquis de Leech! Exciting :D And congrats on the sales, @Gigei! And congrats on the agent edits being done, @Derfel Cadarn! Such good news in here :)

Things are going steadily for me on my edit of my latest manuscript. Just finished a stretch where I had to write a bunch of new scenes from scratch, so that was painful at times, but I think it was good for the book. Given my current work/life/projects, I'm devoting only a single hour a week to writing, so I'm not expecting much progress, but it's amazing how much I can get done even with that little bit.

Unfortunately got a slew of short story rejections lately that left me a bit down about my newest stories, including one that seemed like it was in serious consideration only to have the magazine go under. Sigh. 

12 hours ago, Starkess said:

Ooh, congrats @The Marquis de Leech! Exciting :D And congrats on the sales, @Gigei! And congrats on the agent edits being done, @Derfel Cadarn! Such good news in here :)

Thank you! 

I'm devoting only a single hour a week to writing, so I'm not expecting much progress, but it's amazing how much I can get done even with that little bit.

*nods* One hour of productive/creative work is better than ten hours of writer's block! 

1) Kyle’s short story set in Mistland, Sun Tiger, is complete!
Word count: 3830.
Page count: 13.
Total page count: 159 pages (excluding artwork, title page, table of contents, etc.)
Number of complete short stories: 13/13

2) Received all 5 of the headshot sketches!

3) Tentative schedule is as follows:
June 10-20 (One last round of proofreading with my editor and deciding on the order of the stories) June 21-28 (Add the title page, table of contents, etc.)
June 29 (Upload a test run and fix any errors that show up)
June 30 (Publish!)

4) After talking with one of my co-authors I’ve decided to make “Tales from Mistland & Other Oddities” available for purchase digitally as well as print-on-demand. (Still need to work out the specifics though.)

17 hours ago, Starkess said:

Things are going steadily for me on my edit of my latest manuscript. Just finished a stretch where I had to write a bunch of new scenes from scratch, so that was painful at times, but I think it was good for the book. Given my current work/life/projects, I'm devoting only a single hour a week to writing, so I'm not expecting much progress, but it's amazing how much I can get done even with that little bit.

Unfortunately got a slew of short story rejections lately that left me a bit down about my newest stories, including one that seemed like it was in serious consideration only to have the magazine go under. Sigh. 

Don't give up and keep fighting the good fight!

Forwarded my submission to another agent on May 12th and still waiting to hear back from him.

Meanwhile, my Blademaster novella is up to 68 manuscript pages (over 18,000 words). I'm leaving on a 3-week roadtrip this Sunday and I'm hoping to finish the first draft before returning home.