Boarders writing a novel

Derfel Cadarn

23 hours ago, Lord Patrek said:

An extra 30,000 words is a pretty big edit!

If it's total trash, why put more effort into trying to find an agent to rep it? Maybe just be happy that your manuscript is complete and begin something new?

Why not? Might as well send some queries as I start the next project. Doesn't cost me anything but some time.

Fair enough. :)

But a query letter requires that you pimp yourself and your work in the hope of enticing potential agents to check out your ms. It's a process that I find quite difficult and believe I kind of suck at.

Imagine trying to put a positive spin on something you consider total trash! If you manage, please let me know and I might copy your query letter for future submissions! Either way, best of luck to you! :)

19 hours ago, Lord Patrek said:

Fair enough. :)

But a query letter requires that you pimp yourself and your work in the hope of enticing potential agents to check out your ms. It's a process that I find quite difficult and believe I kind of suck at.

Imagine trying to put a positive spin on something you consider total trash! If you manage, please let me know and I might copy your query letter for future submissions! Either way, best of luck to you! :)

Yeah, well, that's the hard part isn't it! :bawl: Could be why I haven't had any luck with any of my previous querying projects. But while querying is a frustrating and demoralizing process, I'd rather give it a shot than stuff something back into a drawer.

I keep telling myself with every project that if it doesn't get picked up, then next time I'll try self publishing, but I still keep plugging away at trad pub. I just know how hard it is to self pub and I figure if I'm gonna fail, at least this way I fail quietly and no one but a few agents have to know how bad it is.

On 10/27/2021 at 5:30 AM, Lord Patrek said:

After working so long on this, the process should be straightforward, no? Just go with what you think is best.

Not sure it's important, in any case.

It's very important! Discoverability will be greatly affected if you were to, for example, accidentally put a romance book in the nonfiction-history category.

On 10/27/2021 at 5:49 AM, The Grey Wolf Strikes Back said:

@Lord Patrek

All the stories being so very different from each other is what's making me scratch my head. Worst case, I'll go with my instincts. (Apparently, the categories and keywords determine how people find your book while browsing.)

Look at similar books and check what categories they are under. The important thing is to be as specific as possible since it's easier to rank higher in search the more niche your category is. Do not, under any circumstances, chose something like "Fiction - General."

For example:

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Horror-Year-Ellen-Datlow-ebook/dp/B08JH56KVR/

This book is under 

Horror Anthologies (Kindle Store)
Science Fiction Short Stories
Horror Anthologies (Books)

You can also use https://www.bklnk.com/categories5.php to check a book's categories.

@Gigei

I might need to change one of my categories in that case so thanks. (Think I went with "Fiction > Fantasy > Collections & Anthologies" and "Fiction > Fantasy > General" because I wasn't sure if "Fiction > Short Stories" was fitting and didn't see a "Fiction > Fantasy > Short Stories" option. As for keywords, I decided to go with "bittersweet", "political intrigue", "family drama", "romance", "superpowers", "trust", and "forgiveness".)

Realized this morning that most of the stories are not written in the "default paragraph" style so now I need to reformat almost everything. Ugh.

Anyone want to read it and give me a review in advance?

@Lord Patrek

Do you know if there is a limit for word/character count per post? The story my editor and one co-author liked the most is 4 pages. (My personal favorite is 9 pages though I am also very proud of the one I co-wrote, which is a whooping 36 pages.) Also, are we allowed to make threads about our own stuff? I thought that was what the self-promotion thread was for?

11 minutes ago, The Grey Wolf Strikes Back said:

@Lord Patrek

Do you know if there is a limit for word/character count per post? The story my editor and one co-author liked the most is 4 pages. (My personal favorite is 9 pages though I am also very proud of the one I co-wrote, which is a whooping 36 pages.) Also, are we allowed to make threads about our own stuff? I thought that was what the self-promotion thread was for?

Check with the mods, if you want to be sure.

And yes, post the story in the self-promotion thread if you must. :)

50 minutes ago, Lord Patrek said:

Check with the mods, if you want to be sure.

And yes, post the story in the self-promotion thread if you must. :)

Maybe /spoiler it sonit doesnt require lots of scrilling to get past for those whove read it/dont want to?

4 hours ago, Lord Patrek said:

Since most of the pieces are rather short, if I were you I'd start a thread here in the Literature forum where I'd post what you consider the best story. You could then get feedback from a larger audience and maybe/hopefully held generate interest in your anthology.

No. If you do that, the Amazon bot will pick it up and you'll have problems publishing on KDP since it's already been published online for free.

I did the same thing and got an email from KDP content review team:

During our review, we found that the following book(s) contains content for which you may not hold the necessary rights. Some or all of the content within your book(s) is freely available on the web. We need you to confirm your publishing rights before the book is made available on Amazon.

Then you will need to spend days going back and forth with what is probably another bot until you finally get through to a real human.