Boarders writing a novel

Derfel Cadarn

• 2 weeks later...

Took a while, but my poem accepted for publication back in February is now published in the June 2022 issue of Polar Starlight magazine.

Find it here: https://polarborealis.ca/currentback-issues/

Inspired by a NASA recording of the electromagnetic frequencies of the planets and moons of the solar system as transformed into audible sound waves, my poem is called "If Planets Could Dream, They Would Be Nightmares" due to how the sounds seemed to me like screams from an H.P. Lovecraft inspired eldritch horror movie. Listen here: https://youtu.be/FWq_sfQedmU?t=67
Edited by SpaceChampion

8 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

Took a while, but my poem accepted for publication back in February is now published in the June 2022 issue of Polar Starlight magazine.

Find it here: https://polarborealis.ca/currentback-issues/

Inspired by a NASA recording of the electromagnetic frequencies of the planets and moons of the solar system as transformed into audible sound waves, my poem is called "If Planets Could Dream, They Would Be Nightmares" due to how the sounds seemed to me like screams from an H.P. Lovecraft inspired eldritch horror movie. Listen here: https://youtu.be/FWq_sfQedmU?t=67

Congrats!

• 1 month later...

A friend of mine recently published an anthology of his short stories spanning the 25 years of his publishing career.  He did it through Springer.  Like most people I thought they only did textbooks, but they have a Science & Fiction series here:  https://www.springer.com/series/11657

They likely publish only Hard SF or science-heavy alternate history stories, but worth considering if that fits your work.

Edited by SpaceChampion

13 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

On chapter thirteen of Lucifer & Son. Seems to be going well.

Using Inkarnate to try and create a map for The Blood Hour, hopefully before its ready for my sgent to submit.

Really looking forward to the third instalment of the Sooty Feathers books. Glad it's going well!

Made a map for my fantasy novel. It’s north and west Araka (Africa tens/hundreds of thousands of years from now). It shows the part of the Kavari Caravan Route the protagonists follow on their quest.

the centre is largely desert, but i’ll get round to fleshing out the northern coast and addong more caravan routes. 

Edited by Derfel Cadarn

6 hours ago, The Grey Wolf Strikes Back said:

@Derfel Cadarn

Out of curiosity, how expensive and difficult to use is Inkarnate?

Hope you're avoiding the heat btw. One of my co-authors is British and according to him the weather up there is terrible rn.

Pretty easy to use with trial and error. Costs either $5 a month or $25 a year. You keep commercial rights to your maps even when no longer subbed.

It’s really hot for us, largely because we don’t know how to deal with extreme weather. Instead of staying in, cool and rehydrated, people will lie out in the sun and drink booze.

Also our houses were not built to keep the heat out. 

Same in winter; we don’t know how to drive in snow or have snow tyres, so our roads grind to a halt with a few inches of snow.

Climate change is really going to fuck us up.

12 hours ago, The Grey Wolf Strikes Back said:

@Derfel Cadarn

Out of curiosity, how expensive and difficult to use is Inkarnate?

Hope you're avoiding the heat btw. One of my co-authors is British and according to him the weather up there is terrible rn.

I had fun making a map last night, trying to think of where the continental plates would be to throw up mountains, and water drainage patterns to decide where the rivers and lakes go, and finally the wind patterns to determine where to put thick forests and climate effects.  Ended up with some interesting locales for fantasy kingdoms very different from each other.  Maybe I'll have to actually come up with a story now.

Edited by SpaceChampion

After a resurgence of progress the past few months, I'm back into the dulldrums of doubt that all the work ever merits even a stale fart in a mitten. It seems ludicrous I add enough detail and intrigue and quality to make a book worth reading. While consciously acknowledging that imposter syndrome is common, that does little to abate my own.

On 8/13/2022 at 4:04 AM, Lord Patrek said:

@Derfel Cadarn

I haven't been keeping up with the thread for the last couple of months. Did your agent ever sell the rights to that novel he decided to rep? Hopefully yes!

Not yet. Still to hear back from most of the publishers it was sent to , UK and US based. Industry moving very slowly at the moment.

Edited by Derfel Cadarn

Thanks for answering my question @Derfel Cadarn and @SpaceChampion!

Recently took a trip down memory lane in the form of my HS writing. Its as bad as I expected though the dialogue mostly holds up and every once in a while I did see a good turn of phrase. Best part was finding old story concepts I'd somehow forgotten about in the intervening years.

In other news, I got my third (US) review on Amazon this week. So far, with the exception of one person, everyone's favorite has been "The Dragonslayer". (Said person's favorite is "Sorrow's End" whereas mine is "Girl in Blue".)

Edited by The Grey Wolf Strikes Back

• 3 weeks later...

@TheLastWolf

Best of luck!

Writing a new short story for an October 1 deadline. Also hope to submit "The Twelfth Traitor" to a couple of magazines this month. After that, its back to "Where Our Lives Do Part" (AKA Scotland in the time of King Arthur if Camelot was like Westeros). Got another review but no new sales or readers sadly.

• 2 months later...

It's been a while since I've posted but I think I've decided to release one of my books on my own. I'm in the process of securing a cover artist. I'm only going to release it as an ebook and see how it does. It's my first "real" book and the one that got me not one but two agents over the course of its existence and got kind of spoiled by the second agent. That's a long story not worth telling. I think I'm only doing it to see what happens. I dunno, am I crazy?

Edited by Ebenstone
Wanted to add to the post.

10 hours ago, Ebenstone said:

It's been a while since I've posted but I think I've decided to release one of my books on my own. I'm in the process of securing a cover artist. I'm only going to release it as an ebook and see how it does. It's my first "real" book and the one that got me not one but two agents over the course of its existence and got kind of spoiled by the second agent. That's a long story not worth telling. I think I'm only doing it to see what happens. I dunno, am I crazy?

Considered a small press? Elsewhen Press, who published my first three novels are open for subs until end November (they take international authors). They publish speculative fiction (which is a broad unbrella).

They paid (and still do so far as I know) an advance of £500. They do the editing and proof-reading and cover.
Novel comes out first as ebook on amazon, Kobo, Apple, Nook etc, and then in paperback about 3 months later. They send the author about 5 free copies and offer 40% off for any additional copies you want to order. They now publish their paperbacks through Ingram Spark (Amazon basically) due to costs, and this means people can get free delivery if signed up for Prime.

Like most small press, most of the marketing would be down to you, and you’re unlikely to sell much unless you can establish a good online presence. But you’d face the same issue if you self-publish.

https://elsewhen.press/index.php/submit/

My author page on their site:

https://elsewhen.press/index.php/catalogue/author/david-craig/

Edited by Derfel Cadarn