Boarders writing a novel

Derfel Cadarn

Given my unemployment status and the fact that I've had a couple short stories picked up in the past couple years, it felt like a good time to apply to Clarion again. I knew it was a longshot, but I did think I might actually be competitive. Apparently not...

1 hour ago, Starkess said:

Given my unemployment status and the fact that I've had a couple short stories picked up in the past couple years, it felt like a good time to apply to Clarion again. I knew it was a longshot, but I did think I might actually be competitive. Apparently not...

I wonder if Clarion has evolved past it's Milford style yet?

https://www.tor.com/2022/08/17/the-ghost-of-workshops-past-how-communism-conservatism-and-the-cold-war-still-mold-our-paths-into-sff-writing/

By the way @Starkess off topic but have you ever tried applying for the International Space University?  Seems that would be up your alley.  I was accepted for the 2004 summer program (southern hemisphere winter) during i time I couldn't accept it, because I was doing Mars analog research in Australia, and they only offered me a half-scholarship for the Adelaide session, and notified me way too late to change plans.  Never bothered applying after that.  Seems to me the only reasons to do ISU (and Clarion, for that matter) is for the social connections that could help with career.   (Though the Masters programs offers work placements at least.)

Edited by SpaceChampion

1 hour ago, Starkess said:

I'm considering applying to http://www.taostoolbox.com/ for this summer.

It's only two weeks, so easier for me to step away from work/life. It's still pricey, though.

Just completed the first draft of Lucifer & Son! 125k words. Now to edit. Plan is to have the whole thing finished by end of June and then sent off to publisher, with it hopefully out by end of year.

5 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

I wonder if Clarion has evolved past it's Milford style yet?

https://www.tor.com/2022/08/17/the-ghost-of-workshops-past-how-communism-conservatism-and-the-cold-war-still-mold-our-paths-into-sff-writing/

By the way @Starkess off topic but have you ever tried applying for the International Space University?  Seems that would be up your alley.  I was accepted for the 2004 summer program (southern hemisphere winter) during i time I couldn't accept it, because I was doing Mars analog research in Australia, and they only offered me a half-scholarship for the Adelaide session, and notified me way too late to change plans.  Never bothered applying after that.  Seems to me the only reasons to do ISU (and Clarion, for that matter) is for the social connections that could help with career.   (Though the Masters programs offers work placements at least.)

Yes, I know a lot of people are down on that workshop model, but it's clearly been very helpful for a lot of people and I am still interested in the program.

I've not heard of ISU, sounds interesting! Not sure I'm looking for more education at the moment after getting my PhD, but I'll take a look!

4 hours ago, Myrddin said:

I'm considering applying to http://www.taostoolbox.com/ for this summer.

It's only two weeks, so easier for me to step away from work/life. It's still pricey, though.

I was going to apply for that as well, but after paying application fees for both Clarion workshops I balked a bit at doing another. Also the hassle of having to physically print and mail the application AND pay for the privilege of being rejected again...yeah I didn't do it. FYI applications are due tomorrow so I think you may be too late unless you can overnight it.

Got another review on Amazon and Goodreads recently. Also resumed work on my next short story, another piece of Arthuriana set in the modern day. (Oh, to be consistently productive!) Still waiting on that print file sadly. (In the meantime, more artwork!)

Edited by The Grey Wolf Strikes Back

23 hours ago, Starkess said:

FYI applications are due tomorrow so I think you may be too late unless you can overnight it.

I was thinking May 1st in my head. Glad I was leaning toward "not this year". :blink:

For me, going to one of these was always a way to be able to put aside all distractions and focus on writing for a few weeks. Reviewing and having work reviewed/critiqued is very valuable too. Also, I haven't been a part of a writing community for a long time. I was part of several when I was actively writing, both online (Forward Motion and some people formerly active here) and physical (Rocky Mountain Fiction Writers). Going to a retreat is a chance to connect with people of like interests and hopefully build some relationships or at least some engaging conversation.

Obviously it's a huge networking opportunity as well. If your work is solid/shows massive potential, the teachers and guest lecturers can open doors with introductions.

• 3 weeks later...

In one of those strange (and sad) examples of costs increasing, I have been notified by my publisher that copies of Wise Phuul generate a negative royalty (at current prices) when purchased via bookshops in Australia. They have sent off an email to the printer about this (several other books are in a similar predicament, generally worse), and I'm waiting on further updates, but it's definitely a sign that Times are Tough for small presses. The redeeming feature is that the publisher sells the vast majority of their books online.

23 hours ago, The Marquis de Leech said:

In one of those strange (and sad) examples of costs increasing, I have been notified by my publisher that copies of Wise Phuul generate a negative royalty (at current prices) when purchased via bookshops in Australia. They have sent off an email to the printer about this (several other books are in a similar predicament, generally worse), and I'm waiting on further updates, but it's definitely a sign that Times are Tough for small presses. The redeeming feature is that the publisher sells the vast majority of their books online.

My publisher (also small press) has had similar issues, coupled with being unable to send books to Europe from UK due to Brexit costs. They switched printer to Ingram Spark (Amazon). 
Possibly still issues. I think your publisher uses Ingram Spark? Certainly looked like ot on looking at jy copy of Wise Phuul

Edited by Derfel Cadarn

3 hours ago, Lin Meili said:

Update: I have now signed up with a publisher. This is for ebook, print, and audiobook.

Just got my advance and spent it to pay for my recently deceased father's medical debt.

congrats on the deal.

i'm very sorry about your father. 

• 4 weeks later...