Boarders writing a novel

Derfel Cadarn

On 9/21/2021 at 2:57 AM, The Grey Wolf Strikes Back said:

Can anyone give me advice regarding how to format artwork (maps, full-page illustrations, etc.)?

I haven't done it myself, but people normally add (insert) the images on their Word file.

https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/help/topic/G200645710

But one thing to keep in mind is that the size of your e-book is important. If the file size is big, Amazon adds a delivery fee for your e-book.So you have to keep your image file sizes small.

13 hours ago, Lin Meili said:

I haven't done it myself, but people normally add (insert) the images on their Word file.

https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/help/topic/G200645710

But one thing to keep in mind is that the size of your e-book is important. If the file size is big, Amazon adds a delivery fee for your e-book.So you have to keep your image file sizes small.

Thanks. I have 17 pieces of artwork to go along with roughly 164 pages of text so hopefully that won't be an issue.

Edited by The Grey Wolf Strikes Back

Just checked. Including everything is impossible. On the bright side, I can include the four pics I commissioned for "Sun Tiger" and "Anathema (Part I)", which add up to 1.2 megabytes after resizing. On the other hand, that still leaves me with a bunch of unusable artwork I'd like to share with fans and followers.

On 9/20/2021 at 12:57 PM, The Grey Wolf Strikes Back said:

Can anyone give me advice regarding how to format artwork (maps, full-page illustrations, etc.)?

I truly think that's something to worry about later, and, for now, I'd say just be consistent in how you do it. You could look at Chicago Style guidelines as I hear that's the most commonly used formatting style guide in fiction writing--at the very least, it could help give you a format that you remain consistent to.

:read: You would need to reduce the file size of the images by compressing them. Yeah, it won't be as pretty but, let's face it, most people will be reading the ebook on their devices where they wouldn't get the full effect anyway.

9 hours ago, The Grey Wolf Strikes Back said:

Just checked. Including everything is impossible. On the bright side, I can include the four pics I commissioned for "Sun Tiger" and "Anathema (Part I)", which add up to 1.2 megabytes after resizing. On the other hand, that still leaves me with a bunch of unusable artwork I'd like to share with fans and followers.

The delivery fee is 15 cents per megabyte (Mb) for US sales. You could just eat the expense and price it higher. 

Hmm, I tried to look at examples and I found this book - https://www.amazon.com/Night-Lonesome-October-Roger-Zelazny-ebook/dp/B0936MN3K6/

It has a lot of illustrations but they are small black and white ones. The file size is 3958 KB which doesn't seem too bad though the book is priced higher than most.

@Lin Meili

I'd be cutting it close even if I did raise the price that high and since this is going to be my first book I'd like to keep the price low to attract a wider audience. Therefore, I've decided to include at most the map as well as the four pics that go with "Sun Tiger" and "Anathema (Part I)", which would add up to roughly 2.3 megabytes. Since the text is less than 200 pages I assume the final size of the file will therefore clock in at around 3 megabytes. Of course, if I pick only the map or the four pics that'll go down to 2 megabytes. Decisions, decisions...

On 9/27/2021 at 7:57 PM, The Grey Wolf Strikes Back said:

@Lin Meili

I'd be cutting it close even if I did raise the price that high and since this is going to be my first book I'd like to keep the price low to attract a wider audience. Therefore, I've decided to include at most the map as well as the four pics that go with "Sun Tiger" and "Anathema (Part I)", which would add up to roughly 2.3 megabytes. Since the text is less than 200 pages I assume the final size of the file will therefore clock in at around 3 megabytes. Of course, if I pick only the map or the four pics that'll go down to 2 megabytes. Decisions, decisions...

I think if it's the paperback there is no delivery fee. You could uh maybe put all the images in the paperback version but not in the ebook one? Unless you print it color, it probably costs the same since Amazon only charged printing costs by the page, not by file size.

I'm pushing towards finishing my book, but I just realized how much more material I still have to write. Chapter 12 will be too long so I will have to finish with chapter 13. Chapter 12 describes life on a ship out at sea. Chapter 13 will include the climactic storm and reaching the island.

Edited by Ordos

10 hours ago, Lin Meili said:

I think if it's the paperback there is no delivery fee. You could uh maybe put all the images in the paperback version but not in the ebook one? Unless you print it color, it probably costs the same since Amazon only charged printing costs by the page, not by file size.

Is uploading a separate manuscript more difficult than converting one to the other?

On 9/30/2021 at 7:49 PM, The Grey Wolf Strikes Back said:

Is uploading a separate manuscript more difficult than converting one to the other?

My goodness! I have no idea. :cheers: I use a free service that does the manuscript formatting for me (Reedsy).

Of course, you have to upload a separate manuscript on Amazon's KDP publishing page because paperbacks are formatted differently. If you mean if it will be different on your formatting software/service (like if you use Vellum), no idea but I'm sure it's not that hard.

Wait, I have something to show you! If you have a lot of images you commissioned, then you can use it on your Amazon page so it doesn't go to waste. 

https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/help/topic/GCKLH8V7ULLD5EXY

You can also use it on your website. I assume you have one?

5 hours ago, Lin Meili said:

My goodness! I have no idea. :cheers: I use a free service that does the manuscript formatting for me (Reedsy).

Of course, you have to upload a separate manuscript on Amazon's KDP publishing page because paperbacks are formatted differently. If you mean if it will be different on your formatting software/service (like if you use Vellum), no idea but I'm sure it's not that hard.

Wait, I have something to show you! If you have a lot of images you commissioned, then you can use it on your Amazon page so it doesn't go to waste. 

https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/help/topic/GCKLH8V7ULLD5EXY

You can also use it on your website. I assume you have one?

Thanks. That could work. Sorry for asking so many questions of you. Finished editing the last story and wrote a fifth vignette titled "Vanitas".

I have a blog on Tumblr that I update from time to time. (Hardly use my Facebook account and refuse to use Twitter.)