Jump to content

Boarders writing a novel


Derfel Cadarn
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • 1 month later...

My daughter just finished the cover art for my book and my brother wrote the synopsis/blurb for the back cover. My Dad was a critic and editor for my book. 

While I wrote the book, my family helped me get it ready for publishing.

Anyway, the pieces are all assembled, and now I can publish it (as soon as I learn how to convert the file into an ebook).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Ordos said:

My daughter just finished the cover art for my book and my brother wrote the synopsis/blurb for the back cover. My Dad was a critic and editor for my book. 

While I wrote the book, my family helped me get it ready for publishing.

Anyway, the pieces are all assembled, and now I can publish it (as soon as I learn how to convert the file into an ebook).

I'm sure you must be excited! Congrats!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

I've been feeling creatively bankrupt recently and thought I might try my hand at writing something. I've never really done creative writing, except a couple short things in school way back when. But a novel is way too much for me to bite off, I know that. I thought I might try my hand at getting a short story (sub 5k words) published in a magazine. If I can manage that, maybe I'd do something more. Just as something fun to do on the side.

I've got a magazine picked out and their next open submission period is in 38 days. Time to see if I can come up with something.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Fez said:

I've been feeling creatively bankrupt recently and thought I might try my hand at writing something. I've never really done creative writing, except a couple short things in school way back when. But a novel is way too much for me to bite off, I know that. I thought I might try my hand at getting a short story (sub 5k words) published in a magazine. If I can manage that, maybe I'd do something more. Just as something fun to do on the side.

I've got a magazine picked out and their next open submission period is in 38 days. Time to see if I can come up with something.

Best of luck!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, guess I was feeling inspired. I focused on writing instead of playing video games last night, and did some more today during some quiet moments and have ended up with a complete 3,900 word short story.

Now comes the hard part, editing. I hate doing it in my professional, research writing, and I'm sure I'll hate it just as much in fiction writing. And I know I need a lot of editing. Too many repeated phrases, overly similar sentence structures, and bland descriptions. But at least the bones of it all are in place. Also, I need to make sure I haven't subconsciously plagiarized anyone. I don't think I have, but that the trouble with a subconscious.

Lastly, no idea if the story is any good at all. But at minimum I already feel proud for at least having done this much.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's awesome! It's exciting to start a new hobby and you should definitely feel proud of yourself. And go forth and submit to this magazine!

But word to the wise, short stories do not get accepted often. It's likely you'll have to submit it many times to many places if you want to see it published, that's totally normal and doesn't mean it's a bad story!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Starkess said:

That's awesome! It's exciting to start a new hobby and you should definitely feel proud of yourself. And go forth and submit to this magazine!

But word to the wise, short stories do not get accepted often. It's likely you'll have to submit it many times to many places if you want to see it published, that's totally normal and doesn't mean it's a bad story!

Oh for sure. Definitely not trying to get my head past my skis here. And I am trying to keep my aims appropriately modest. Not like I'm shooting for The New Yorker or anything (also, I don't want to write the kind of thing they'd accept). But I'm sure there's still a ton of competition (the magazine I'm looking at does a quarterly call for open submissions of short stories that fit a theme—which I've tried to hit), and that's even assuming what I've got is any good in the first place.

Which, after an appropriate amount of editing, I'm hoping will be.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

My fifth book, The Blood Hour is being edited my agent :)

Still no word from most of the publishers Diabolic Immunity was sent to last year, though Orbit UK and Orbit US have so far rejected it.

Due to Brexit red tape and rising print costs, the publisher of my three books are now using Ingram Spark for the paperbacks, which makes them available cheaply(ish) internationally.

A picture of my three books from the new printer:

 

Edited by Derfel Cadarn
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We have a strong release out the gate with 7# out of Humorous Science Fiction for Space Academy Dropouts. I wonder if we'll reach 1# before the day ends. As usual, I attribute my success to Jeffrey Kafer the narrator covering for my awful writing. https://www.audible.com/pd/Space-Academy-Dropouts-Audiobook/B09VWJZ7SY

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...