Favourite "comic book" movies

Which Tyler

I love how the MCU make their films in different genres: space fantasy, techno-thriller, heist, magic, high school, quest for macguffins etc etc.

I think it was deliberate to make Endgame a "comic book" film.  It brings everyone together from all the different genre films within the MCU and employs classic comic book tropes in time travel and crazy, all-in climatic battle.  Some of its shots and scenes look as though they have been ripped straight from the page of a comic book (this is true of a lot of the MCU, to be fair): my favourite shot in the whole of the MCU is Cap facing off against the whole of Thanos' army just before "On your left" - it's gorgeous, and it tells you everything you need to know about Cap.

Endgame does everything it needs to: it's huge, for the fans, and unashamedly comic book.  

Is it perhaps due to some amazing performances, or simply the characters themselves, but for me, TV is the best comic book place. And it simply boils down to Agent Carter and Daredevil (yeah, I have heard AoS has been amazing the past few seasons, but I stopped watching that a while ago). 

So... As for movies. I think the Portals scene in Endgame was this generation's Ride of Rohirrim at Pelennor fields.

I need to be sold on the idea. I need to believe the actors. I need to believe in their heroism. That is why Daredevil is one of my favorites. Charlie Cox did amazing work. Same for Hayley Atwell and her Agent Carter. I want to be sold on the ridiculous idea that they are saving the world. 

My favorites:

1. Captain America: Civil War - I remember how much I discussed this when it came out. I even wrote 6000 word essay on the various aspects of the movie - it was meant to be the review for a blog. It remains the only piece I wrote that wasn't published up to this date. I believed the conflict, not so much on Zemo's plan, but I was sold on why all of these characters would take different sides. It was also the movie that totally convinced me that Vision and Wanda are amazing couple that I want to see more.

2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier - This was before Russos got unlimited budget. This one was so amazing. In terms of Universe, I would have liked it to be more connected to Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D but I understand the issues. 

3. Thor: Ragnarok - It has Cate Blanchett's seal of approval, it was hilarious and honestly, that 1980s vibe was amazingly incorporated into the movie.

4. Joker/The Dark Knight - two incredible performances, one character. Joaquin Phoenix and Heath Ledger deserved the recognition.  

5. V for Vendetta - Nowadays I feel like this was Casa del Papel of 2000s. 

And of course that Batman movie with George Clooney :D If you haven't seen it, it is a MUST WATCH

Archived