The Ravens Teeth

Hey everyone, this is my first post and I wanted to ask some questions I’m dying to have answered. We hear about this private company of men(The Ravens Teeth) that is loyal to Blood Raven. Supposedly it was around 200 men that took the black when BR joined the watch. So my questions are:

were those the only members of the Ravens Teeth?

are there any remaining Ravens Teeth at the  watch (Maybe Cotter Pyke)?

Are there any Lords or leaders who are Ravens Teeth (maybe Varys, Euron or Beric)?

Let me know what you guys think, I would love any feed back! 

That would be true if Blood Raven and those members didn’t keep recruiting. We know Blood Raven never stopped recruiting/manipulating, so it’s definitely possible he recruited/manipulated other members into joining after he joined the watch. Mance, Euron and Jeor Mormont are at the top of my list when I think about who BR could be using. 

18 minutes ago, DanielBasich said:

That would be true if Blood Raven and those members didn’t keep recruiting. We know Blood Raven never stopped recruiting/manipulating, so it’s definitely possible he recruited/manipulated other members into joining after he joined the watch. Mance, Euron and Jeor Mormont are at the top of my list when I think about who BR could be using.

You were asking about the Raven's Teeth, and the last man who joined the company could have done that 65 years ago in 233 AC. Given that such a new member would have been at least 15 years old, any living Raven's Tooth would be at least 80 years old now. Whether Bloodraven contacted or influenced this or that guy after becoming the three-eyed crow is an entirely different topic apart from your original post. ;-) 

16 hours ago, DanielBasich said:

Hey everyone, this is my first post and I wanted to ask some questions I’m dying to have answered. We hear about this private company of men(The Ravens Teeth) that is loyal to Blood Raven. Supposedly it was around 200 men that took the black when BR joined the watch. So my questions are:

were those the only members of the Ravens Teeth?

are there any remaining Ravens Teeth at the  watch (Maybe Cotter Pyke)?

Are there any Lords or leaders who are Ravens Teeth (maybe Varys, Euron or Beric)?

Let me know what you guys think, I would love any feed back! 

Maybe read it again 

not trying to be rude I just am confused because I listed current leaders as options so I feel it’s implied that I believe there are more recruits since he became the three eyed crow.

23 minutes ago, DanielBasich said:

Maybe read it again 

not trying to be rude I just am confused because I listed current leaders as options so I feel it’s implied that I believe there are more recruits since he became the three eyed crow.

The point is, if Bloodraven recruited anyone, by whichever means, after he disappeared while ranging beyond the Wall in 252 AC, these men wouldn’t be Raven’s Teeth, since the RT were his personal guard of longbowmen. 

ETA: So, no, Varys, Cotter Pyke, Beric, Euron are most certainly not Raven’s Teeth, they’re not BR’s personal guard, and as far as I can tell none of them is a longbowman.

2 minutes ago, DanielBasich said:

Okay so all the hedge knights and children he employs are not RT? If so what would we refer to the Blood Raven followers as? 

Which hedge knights and children?

Ok, I think the confusion was caused by the use of the term 'Raven's teeth'. That was the name of Bloodraven's personal guard - just like the guard of the king is called Kingsguard. So whomever BR might have influenced, that one would not be considered a Raven's Tooth, since the guard seems to have been disbanded when BR was sent to the Wall. 

1 minute ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

Ok, I think the confusion was caused by the use of the term 'Raven's teeth'. That was the name of Bloodraven's personal guard - just like the guard of the king is called Kingsguard. So whomever BR might have influenced, that one would not be considered a Raven's Tooth, since the guard seems to have been disbanded when BR was sent to the Wall. 

Sorta, since many of the 200 men that went w/ Bloodraven to the Wall were RT.

1 minute ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

Sure, and I guess they were some kind of BR's power base at the Wall and would assure his election in 239 AC, but officially they would no longer form that guard.

Okay, I’m with you guys so far. I was thinking it could have been a cult and not just a company of archers. Since these men took the black I thought they might’ve gone missing with BR and if so did they settle in with the wildlings? could there possibly be descendants (maybe Rattleshirt or Tormund)?

Okay, I’m with you guys so far. I was thinking it could have been a cult and not just a company of archers. Since these men took the black I thought they might’ve gone missing with BR and if so did they settle in with the wildlings? could there possibly be descendants (maybe Rattleshirt or Tormund)?

I don’t think they were a cult... But I do think they were extremely loyal to Bloodraven. And yes, I think it’s quite likely that some went on the ranging with him. My head canon has Coldhands as a former RT. As to your question, I suppose it’s possible that the RT have descendants among the Free Folk, despite the lack of clues pointing to that so far.

Just now, DanielBasich said:

I’m under the impression Dunk and Egg are being manipulated. 

By Bloodraven, I presume? I don’t know; I mean, the amount of people BR manipulates according to some fans... almost as many as all the secret identities. :D

That said, we do have Maynard Plumm...

2 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

By Bloodraven, I presume? I don’t know; I mean, the amount of people BR manipulates according to some fans... almost as many as all the secret identities. :D

That said, we do have Maynard Plumm...

I had a very very brief conversation with Preston Jacobs about this and I believe we both are under the impression that someone is in Dunk’s head. 

I had a very very brief conversation with Preston Jacobs about this and I believe we both are under the impression that someone is in Dunk’s head. 

Gotcha. I wholeheartedly disagree, but to each their own. :cheers:

8 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Gotcha. I wholeheartedly disagree, but to each their own. :cheers:

Okay, we’ll let’s play a little devils advocate. Dunk consistently tastes blood in his mouth every single time he rises to the occasion. Dunk is not really a great knight yet he beats prince Aerion Brightflame(who later kills himself by drinking wildfire probably by the influence of BR) and a Castellan Ser Lucas whom he has no business beating. Metallic taste in the mouth is related to seizures. Dunk, Cat, Bran, Jon and Sam actually experience this before losing time or hallucinating. Of course this is all circumstantial, please let me know what you think.

6 minutes ago, DanielBasich said:

Okay, we’ll let’s play a little devils advocate. Dunk consistently tastes blood in his mouth every single time he rises to the occasion. Dunk is not really a great knight yet he beats prince Aerion Brightflame(who later kills himself by drinking wildfire probably by the influence of BR) and a Castellan Ser Lucas whom he has no business beating. Metallic taste in the mouth is related to seizures. Dunk, Cat, Bran, Jon and Sam actually experience this before losing time or hallucinating. Of course this is all circumstantial, please let me know what you think.

Maybe Dunk is no Arthur Dayne, but that doesn’t mean much. He’s much taller and stronger than Aerion, and even if he weren’t, he was quite enraged when he attacked Aerion. There’s no mystery there IMO. 

As to the metallic taste, it makes sense if your mouth is bloody, b/c of the iron. 

15 minutes ago, DanielBasich said:

Okay, we’ll let’s play a little devils advocate. Dunk consistently tastes blood in his mouth every single time he rises to the occasion.

Right, because Dunk is a tree hero in the story. Bran and Jon also experience this when they are warging their wolves. Iron in the blood:

A Dance with Dragons - Jon III

The Wall loomed on his right as he crossed the yard. Its high ice glimmered palely, but down below all was shadow. At the gate a dim orange glow shone through the bars where the guards had taken refuge from the wind. Jon could hear the creak of chains as the winch cage swung and scraped against the ice. Up top, the sentries would be huddling in the warming shed around a brazier, shouting to be heard above the wind. Or else they would have given up the effort, and each man would be sunk in his own pool of silence. I should be walking the ice. The Wall is mine.

He was walking beneath the shell of the Lord Commander's Tower, past the spot where Ygritte had died in his arms, when Ghost appeared beside him, his warm breath steaming in the cold. In the moonlight, his red eyes glowed like pools of fire. The taste of hot blood filled Jon's mouth, and he knew that Ghost had killed that night. No, he thought. I am a man, not a wolf. He rubbed his mouth with the back of a gloved hand and spat.

A Storm of Swords - Bran I

"Meera will be back soon with supper."

"I'm sick of frogs." Meera was a frogeater from the Neck, so Bran couldn't really blame her for catching so many frogs, he supposed, but even so . . . "I wanted to eat the deer." For a moment he remembered the taste of it, the blood and the raw rich meat, and his mouth watered. I won the fight for it. I won.

"Did you mark the trees?"

Dunk is not really a great knight yet he beats prince Aerion Brightflame(who later kills himself by drinking wildfire probably by the influence of BR) and a Castellan Ser Lucas whom he has no business beating. 

Exactly. The tree dude beats the fire dudes. The seed is strong.

Metallic taste in the mouth is related to seizures. Dunk, Cat, Bran, Jon and Sam actually experience this before losing time or hallucinating. Of course this is all circumstantial, please let me know what you think.

I'd say GRRM's world, GRRM's rules. This is also the taste that the "tree" element characters have when they are experiencing something that is like an out-of-body experience, also a type of seizure or seizing of the body. Dunk is a "tree" person who is there to seed the land, just as Jon and Bran will help do (in their own ways) after the long night/dragons dance.

As an opposite parallel example, Sweetrobin is also experiencing actual seizures (medical or spiritual?). He doesn't seem to taste blood or iron when they happen.

A Game of Thrones - Prologue

Ser Waymar looked him over with open disapproval. "I am not going back to Castle Black a failure on my first ranging. We will find these men." He glanced around. "Up the tree. Be quick about it. Look for a fire."

Will turned away, wordless. There was no use to argue. The wind was moving. It cut right through him. He went to the tree, a vaulting grey-green sentinel, and began to climb. Soon his hands were sticky with sap, and he was lost among the needles. Fear filled his gut like a meal he could not digest. He whispered a prayer to the nameless gods of the wood, and slipped his dirk free of its sheath. He put it between his teeth to keep both hands free for climbing. The taste of cold iron in his mouth gave him comfort.

Archived