U.S. Politics: Only Death Can Pay For Growth

Jace, Extat

1 hour ago, Ran said:

What did this corrupt administration think it was proving by releasing the Flynn-Kislyak transcript? This stuff is, if anything, worse than what had been reported. It's in black-and-white that Flynn talked sanctions (which he denied doing to the FBI and allegedly to the VP). Is this some kind of sleight of hand they're hoping to pull, like when the "perfect transcript" from the Ukraine call was anything but but they pretended otherwise?

Absurd.

Yeah, I checked a few of the right-wing sites and barely any of them are even talking about it, so just another info dump to hide something stupid on a Friday.

17 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

So they're now trying to say that Floyd died because he had underlying health issues, not because of strangulation. 

There's a curfew set to take place in a bit. We'll see how that holds.  

It's infuriating, but they'll get away with this line of reasoning.

4 minutes ago, Simon Steele said:

It's infuriating, but they'll get away with this line of reasoning.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Our little hidden piece of paradise has but a few rules, and the police broke all of them, and they broke them too obviously.

I find it interesting that the university is beginning to cut ties with the police. 

Van Jones went on CNN today and said that White, Liberal HRC voters are the biggest danger to black folks these days. Cue everyone missing the point of what he was saying, Republicans saying that this proves the left are the real racists and HRC stans freaking out talking about how Van Jones is a piece of shit (and kind of proving his point). He is not saying that the HRC voter type is more racist than a Klansman, he is saying that those are the one you actually have to look out for. You can see a man in a hood from a mile away, but the real danger is for the status quo of upper class white folks continuing to live their comfortable existence ignoring the plight of black people, up until in inconveniences them, at which point they vote Republican.

Here is the clip

It's basically the same thing that MLK said in The Letter from Birmingham Jail

"First, I must confess that over the last few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season."

Shallow understanding from people of goodwill is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection."

2 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Ah, it's well known though that underlying conditions can be exacerbated by a knee to the neck. Conditions such as being alive.

It's such an idiotic claim to make, it's like saying the reason why someone died was because they were a hemophiliac, not because I stabbed them.

6 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

Heard this once somewheres...  Gunshot wounds are fake news.  Deceased simply died of a bad cardiovascular system that kept pumping oxygenated blood through faulty plumbing.  

You're just mad because God didn't let you on Noah's dope ass yacht. 

3 hours ago, Ran said:

What did this corrupt administration think it was proving by releasing the Flynn-Kislyak transcript? This stuff is, if anything, worse than what had been reported. It's in black-and-white that Flynn talked sanctions (which he denied doing to the FBI and allegedly to the VP). Is this some kind of sleight of hand they're hoping to pull, like when the "perfect transcript" from the Ukraine call was anything but but they pretended otherwise?

Absurd.

I don't think logic has anything to do with this.  Remember, Trump actually fired Flynn for lying.  The re-writing of history here is extreme even by Republican standards.  

4 minutes ago, Triskele said:

There was an ark, it came screaming across the void, and threw up such a rift that it maddened animals and killed all plant life...

That was for larry, apologies all around

I think you're just lashing out because The Old Testament called your kind monkeys! 

42 minutes ago, Mystical said:

As a non-American hearing about all these nation wide riots, lock downs/curfews and the other problems in the US...is 2020 the year America destroys itself from the inside out?

No. This happens here from time to time and it's surprisingly well controlled. There is rioting and looting, yes, but it does not happen where people who are well off or people who determine policy live. It's possible that the policies of divide-and-conquer will eventually backfire, but this possibility is a long way off and very unlikely to happen this year (although... nobody expected the pandemic either).

5 minutes ago, Altherion said:

No. This happens here from time to time and it's surprisingly well controlled. There is rioting and looting, yes, but it does not happen where people who are well off or people who determine policy live.

Um, clearly you've never been here. Uptown is a blended area, where everyone is welcome, so long as you're not an asshole. And there are many powerful people who live here as are there very wealthy areas. Very wealthy. And there are also many dives. That's what's makes it fun. You can find anything here, and no one bothers you. Or at least that's how it's supposed to be. 

The city is boiling over because of a number of things. This was the straw that broke the camel's back. I'm sadden that it seems to be spreading around the country. 

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

Um, clearly you've never been here. Uptown is a blended area, where everyone is welcome, so long as you're not an asshole. And there are many powerful people who live here as are there very wealthy areas. Very wealthy. And there are also many dives. That's what's makes it fun. You can find anything here, and no one bothers you. Or at least that's how it's supposed to be. 

The city is boiling over because of a number of things. This was the straw that broke the camel's back. I'm sadden that it seems to be spreading around the country. 

I think he means America, which is still hilarious in it's, um, hmmm

naivety?

14 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

About half a decade ago, I briefly visited the University of Minnesota for a conference (it was a really nice place), but in the post you quoted, I meant the US as a whole (as that was what the post I quoted was about). That said, I have not heard about any politicians or billionaires in Minnesota being personally impacted. Do you know of any?

21 minutes ago, Altherion said:

About half a decade ago, I briefly visited the University of Minnesota for a conference (it was a really nice place), but in the post you quoted, I meant the US as a whole (as that was what the post I quoted was about). That said, I have not heard about any politicians or billionaires in Minnesota being personally impacted. Do you know of any?

Can't speak to billionaires, I don't know any here, but there are very wealthy areas in the lakes just outside of where this happened, in the Uptown area.

And many politicians live in the area, and yes, I do know some personally. But that's not important. My city is burning, as are others. And it doesn't matter if you're rich or poor. The country is burning. 

Archived