Reassign the Great Houses

Canon Claude

Let's assume that by the end of the story, all the members of Houses Stark, Hightower, Baratheon, Tyrell, Greyjoy, Lannister, Arryn, Tully, Martell, and Targaryen are wiped out. You're whoever sits on the Iron Throne by the end of the story and you need to appoint new lords paramount of the Riverlands, North, Reach, Vale, Iron Islands, Stormlands, Westerlands, and Dorne. Which houses do you choose? Keep in mind that you have to work with the current and legitimate members of each house. You also can't cherry pick which member of the houses becomes the ruler; assume that whoever's alive at the end of ADWD  (excluding the current great houses) is still alive at the end of the story.

Interesting scenario. I'll give it a try.

North

This is a really tough call. House Manderly are Andals, so they can't rule the North. The Reeds, Glovers, and Mormonts wouldn't command enough respect. House Umber are not exactly leadership material. House Flint, Tallhart, Dustin, Cerwyn, and Hornwood have women or children for leaders, so they won't be accepted. By default, I have to go with Rodrik Ryswell, even though he was the first guy to swear fealty to House Bolton... 

Reach

Since you're ruling out House Tyrell AND House Hightower, we need a really powerful house in charge, not someone like House Florent, which was clinging to blood rights for lack of actual support. Far as I can tell, the Oakhearts would make for the best candidates to rule the Reach.

Stormlands

This one's difficult, but overall I'd go with House Swann. Assuming that "Clifford" is actually a typo, Gulian Swann sounds like a good fit to rule the Stormlands. He's been a ruler during peace and war alike, and he's not too quick to run into conflicts if he can avoid it. Given that he's one of the few lords of the Stormlands who's still alive and in power, I'm assuming that he's got a good head on his shoulders.

Vale

Let's give the Vale back to House Royce. Yohn Royce in charge of the Vale is only an improvement from the mess that House Arryn has become. Plus House Royce makes sense given how powerful they are. They're basically the Hightowers in the Vale in terms of strength relative to their region. 

Westerlands

House Marbrand. They're the only noble house which comes to mind as being powerful and responsible enough to be in charge of the Westerlands.

Iron Islands

House Harlaw by far. Everything's been screwed up on those islands, and it's really hard to find anyone among them that I'd ever trust with leadership. Let's put Rodrik Harlaw in charge with Harras Harlaw to keep everyone else in check.

Riverlands

If I was a selfish man, I'd pick the Blackwoods and let them rule, but I can't trust a house that produces Bloodraven and can't get over a feud after who knows how many years. So I'm going with my other favourite Riverlands house: House Piper. I like the character of Marq Piper, he's kind of like the Beric Dondarrion of the Riverlands. I hope he survives the events in the books.

Dorne

House Dayne of Starfall, no question. Edric Dayne is well on his way to becoming the new Sword of the Morning, and I have a feeling that he'll be involved in the defence of Westeros from the Others. Even if he isn't the next Sword of the Morning, though, he's still proven his worth in extreme situations. He's loyal, level-headed, honourable, and brave.

5 hours ago, Canon Claude said:

Let's assume that by the end of the story, all the members of Houses Stark, Hightower, Baratheon, Tyrell, Greyjoy, Lannister, Arryn, Tully, Martell, and Targaryen are wiped out. You're whoever sits on the Iron Throne by the end of the story and you need to appoint new lords paramount of the Riverlands, North, Reach, Vale, Iron Islands, Stormlands, Westerlands, and Dorne. Which houses do you choose? Keep in mind that you have to work with the current and legitimate members of each house. You also can't cherry pick which member of the houses becomes the ruler; assume that whoever's alive at the end of ADWD  (excluding the current great houses) is still alive at the end of the story.

Me, I would search for the Targaryen descendants and give them back the Iron Throne.  But not before I made sure the trouble makers among those who supported Robert Baratheon and Ned Stark are all dead.  I would make sure to pave the way for an easy Targaryen rule. 

8 hours ago, Canon Claude said:

Riverlands - This was the hardest one to decide, I even contemplated House Baelish and House Frey but I’m going with House Mallister.

North - House Thenn 

Reach - House Peake

Vale - House Grafton

Iron Islands - House Harlaw(Ten Towers) 

Stormlands - House Connington

Westerlands - House Westerling

Dorne - House Yronwood

16 hours ago, Floki of the Ironborn said:

This is a really tough call. House Manderly are Andals, so they can't rule the North.

The Manderlys are FM who worship the new gods. I would still give it to them, though. They are powerful and rich. The men will probably have to go on a salad diet.

The riverlandss, either Blackwood or Mallister. House Vance would be an interesting one as well.

The Reach, to House Rowan. I think Mathis Rowan has the qualities for a good leader, but I'm looking forward if the "loyal" holds up.

The Iron Islands to Rodrik Harlaw. If House Blacktyde is anything like Baelor was, then they'd be a good candidate too.

Dorne. I've wondered for a long time if House Dayne of Starfall is also descended from Nymeria's marriage to Davos Dayne. If they are, I think they would be the logical choice to succeed the Martells. Then there's House Yronwood.

The westerlands. I'd go with House Marbrand. Tywin's mother was a Marbrand, Tygett had a Marbrand wife. They just seem like a reasonable choice.

The Vale goes back to House Royce.

The stormlands. We really don't know all that much about the storm lords, do we. Even while Catelyn was with Renly's host, it was the lords from the Reach we saw, not the ones from the stormlands. I'll go with House Mertyns, because Mary Mertyns is a total badass little lady.

But let's face it. If the proposed scenario were to happen, we will either be looking down family trees in which case Winterfell, for instance, would end up with someone from the Vale, or we will have an all out war.

The North- Gotta be Manderly, in spite of them worshipping the seven. They've long since assimilated into the Northern culture so it shouldn't be too much of an issue. Given their financial and military power in the North (and potential naval too), they're the natural choice.

The Riverlands- On personal preference I'd go Blackwood but that would just lead to trouble from Bracken and vice-versa. Mallister, either Vance house and Piper are the sensible choices and on the basis of current Lord I'd have to go with Mallister. But truth be told it'd be maybe easier to give Riverrun and the LP to a Mudd or Strong from the GC.

The Vale- House Royce. Without a shadow of a doubt. No one else even comes close.

The Iron Islands- Like everyone else, Harlaw is the only logical choice. Blacktyde would have been in for a shout if Baelor hadn't been drowned but...what can you do?

The Westerlands- House Marbrand. Off the top of my head I recall three marriages between them and House Lannister just in the three generations alive during the Wo5K. Don't know much about Lord Damon but Ser Addam seems talented as a commander and well respected. Every time Tywin needs something done that requires more than 'kill some villages' Addam is one of his preferred choices. That says a lot.

The Stormlands- We don't really know much about the Stormlords, so I'd have to say Swann almost by default.

The Reach- Well if we're ruling out Hightower too, then it'd have to be Rowan. I don't think Tarly would make a good lord, Redwyne is too far removed in terms of geography and none of the other houses seem to be particularly strong.

Dorne- Yronwood. Much like Manderly and Royce they're the number 2 house in their region which makes them the natural choice. Honourable mention for Dayne though.

1 hour ago, Floki of the Ironborn said:

Interesting scenario. I'll give it a try.

North

This is a really tough call. House Manderly are Andals, so they can't rule the North.

Manderlys are First Men. 

Well, my controversial choices would be...

The North: House Westerling/Maegyr of Essos, via the right of marriage. ;)
The Reach: House Tarly, with Samwell as their leader
The Westerlands: House Turnberry, randomly picked
The Riverlands: House Whent
The Iron Isles: House Goodbrother
The Stormlands: House Florent
Dorne: House Dayne
Vale: House Redfort

North: House Glover. Bit of a jump in power, I admit, but they deserve it. They’ve had the Starks’ backs for a long time, and they’re certainly competent. Catelyn even points out that Robb could have given command to Robert Glover. That means a lot to me: why would she recommend Robett, who’s not even the head of his own house? He must have earned a hell of a reputation for himself. And even if you argue that Galbart would be the new ruler, he’s clearly trusted enough by Robb to make an important journey into the Neck. Either way, the North benefits with one of them in command.

Westerlands: House Brax. They’ve done enough dying for the Lannisters. 

Dorne: House Manwoody. For that name alone.

Vale: Call me unoriginal, but there can only be House Royce. 

Stormlands: House Morrigan. One of the only houses that remained loyal to the real branch of House Baratheon after the Battle of Blackwater.

Reach: House Rowan. The Redwynes are on an island, almost everyone else is too weak, and the Tarlys are soldiers, not rulers.

Riverlands: House Piper. They’re among the more underrated houses in that region.

The Iron Islands get a taste of Carthaginian peace, and long overdue too. Let the birds and beasts live peacefully on those cursed islands. Maybe plant some trees, too. Let nature replace the Ironborn once and for all. 

1 hour ago, James Steller said:

The Iron Islands get a taste of Carthaginian peace, and long overdue too. Let the birds and beasts live peacefully on those cursed islands. Maybe plant some trees, too. Let nature replace the Ironborn once and for all. 

You sure you're serving a Stormlander, Lord Steller? That's more of a Westerman's attitude.

3 minutes ago, Canon Claude said:

You sure you're serving a Stormlander, Lord Steller? That's more of a Westerman's attitude.

Heh, maybe that was overkill. The civilian population can live, but they’ll be relocated across the Seven Kingdoms’ coastlines (so pretty much all of them except the Riverlands). A diaspora of people who spent millennia raiding others for things they could have earned in better ways. The Iron price holds no value in my currency exchange building. The former Ironborn can learn to fish and trade wherever they’re placed. Their islands will be abandoned and forgotten.

The North - House Manderly, due to their wealth and power, however they are a southern house so they may not be accepted. My second choice would be House Thenn/Karstark since they have blood ties to the Starks.

The Riverlands - House Mallister, they are one of Riverrun’s most prominent bannermen. It can’t be the Blackwoods or Brackens because of their feud, and I wouldn’t want the Freys.

Iron Islands - House Harlaw, Rodrik is smart and not warmongering like the other Ironborn.

The Westerlands - House Crakehall, or Marbrand or Brax. A difficult decision since most of the Lannister bannermen are on relatively even footing and do not have many distinctions.

The Vale - House Royce, they ruled before and Yohn Royce is a good lord.

The Reach - House Rowan or Oakheart. Both are descended from the Gardeners and are very powerful bannermen.

The Stormlands - House Swann.

Dorne - House Dayne, they are ancient and well respected and wield Dawn. House Yronwood may be good but them supporting the Blackfyres during many of the Rebellions may cause division.

On 5/29/2020 at 2:02 PM, CassDarry said:

North - House Thenn 

43 minutes ago, McGuv19 said:

My second choice would be House Thenn/Karstark since they have blood ties to the Starks.

Harrion Karstark is still alive at the end of ADWD and he's the new lord of Karhold, you'd better chose him as the lord Paramount, instead of Sigorn and Alys, at least if you want the Karstark to lead the North. 

5 minutes ago, Willam Stark said:

Harrion Karstark is still alive at the end of ADWD and he's the new lord of Karhold, you'd better chose him as the lord Paramount, instead of Sigorn and Alys, at least if you want the Karstark to lead the North. 

Oof. I forgot about that. It’ll be so awkward if Harrion survives the war and finds his sister and Sigorn ruling the territory that technically belongs to him.

1 hour ago, James Steller said:

Oof. I forgot about that. It’ll be so awkward if Harrion survives the war and finds his sister and Sigorn ruling the territory that technically belongs to him.

If that happens, I'll be convinced that GRRM wants us to hate Jon Snow. Surely not ALL his decisions as Lord Commander should end in disaster?

22 hours ago, Willam Stark said:

Yeah you’re right, I forgot about him.

1. Wardens of the South, Lords of the Port: House Redwyne of the Arbor, the tasks are heavily dependent on them anyway, and they are arguably the most powerful. They have access to Highgarden from the Mander so well connected.

2. Defenders of Oldtown, Protectors of the Citadel: House Bulwer of Blackcrown, because otherwise that's a lot of responsibilities to put on the Redwynes.

3. Wardens of the North: House Blackwood of the Wolfswood, they need to be separated from the Brackens. House Bracken will be given Raventree and all of its lands. The Blackwoods will get their old place back, and Winterfell.

4. Lords of the Iron Islands and Lords Paramount of the Trident: House Harlaw of Harlaw. Reuniting these two might provide opportunities to improve the Ironborn culture. Riverlords south of the Red Fork are excluded.

Lords of the Seven Kingdoms: Vacant. Riverlords south of the Red Fork to be sworn to Darry, and so are those houses sworn to King's Landing that are north of the Blackwater Rush. King's Landing will be put under the protection of the Faith.

5. Wardens of the East: House Connington of Griffin's Roost. All the houses sworn to Dragonstone become stormlords, and so do those houses sworn to King's Landing that are south of the Blackwater Rush.

6. Wardens of the West, Sheild of Lannisport: House Lannister of Lannisport, presuming they were not wiped out. Failing that, House Swyft of Cornfield, for their good work ethic.

7. Defenders of the Vale: House Baelish of Littlefinger, because they really seem to know what they're doing over there.

8. Princes of Dorne: House Allyrion of Godsgrace former lieges of the Martells and sufficiently Rhoynish.

Archived