What little piece of canon do you wish you could tweak/change?

Is there something small you would like to change that would have a larger impact? A fantasy you would like fulfilled, or a 'what if' scenario you would've like to see? Or maybe a tweak that would make an event within the books more personally satisfying?

Joff as the sole operator in Bran's attempted murder. But as GRRM himself undercuts this idea repeatedly and in different ways in the text, I can only think that Joff had help and it's too spoilery to give out the full story yet.

Not gonna say it. Not gonna say it. People will hate me for it...

*immediately, Robb in an angel costume and Roose in a devil costume appear*

Robb: Say it, say it, say it.
Roose: No, don't. My good name would be dragged through the mud.
Robb: You don't have a good name. In fact...You give love a bad name!
*a certain Bon Jovi song begins playing*
Robb: Now, this is my Rains of Castamere. And you just lost the Game *stabs Roose*
Roose: Help...
Robb: No one will help you.
Me: *waking up* That was a nice dream.

1 hour ago, Jay21 said:

A parallel writing where Joff and Arya's genders were switched would be interesting.  

Would like for Arya to stay a girl, but Joff as a girl would be really interesting somehow. There are not too many sadistic little 13 year old girls in fiction. But if female Joff were to be the next queen Westeros' whole society would be quite different as well. And would they accept same sex marriage? Otherwise Sansa and Marg had to be male as well. For some reason I really dig the idea.

I usually want more details in the story, and not changes. One big thing that comes to mind (and something I'd ask Martin if I had the opportunity, providing he could give me the answer) is the name of Doran, Elia, & Oberyn's mother. But that does not undo anything about the present continuity.

So I suppose it would be those little mistakes, you know, Jeyne's hips and such, that we've come to the conclusion as author discrepancies. Or Tyrion's acrobatics that Martin has regretted after learning more about dwarfism.

Or maybe details that amounted to nothing. Such as Robert making Jaime Warden of the East and Ned thinking he'd be Warden of the West one day - truly an instance of Early Installment Weirdness. 

6 minutes ago, Nagini's Neville said:

Would like for Arya to stay a girl, but Joff as a girl would be really interesting somehow. There are not too many sadistic little 13 year old girls in fiction. But if female Joff were to be the next queen Westeros' whole society would be quite different as well. And would they accept same sex marriage? Otherwise Sansa and Marg had to be male as well. For some reason I really dig the idea.

For a sadistic 14 year old queen, I recommend Elodie from Hanako Games' Long Live the Queen, and making the worst possible choices e.g. executing your maternal uncle and all of his children. ;)

10 hours ago, Rose of Red Lake said:

Cersei being a murderer at such a young age, by the implication that she pushed her friend down a well. She became less interesting to me. 

Came to say the same. Especially with Jaime being so normal. The whole good twin, bad twin is very one dimensional to me.

Stannis married someone other than Selyse Florent. I don’t know who else was available, maybe Lynesse Hightower? Maybe Jeyne Farman? Maybe if Stannis was married to someone other than Selyse friggin Florent, he could have had more kids, had a slightly happier marriage? 

I wish Barristan had specified which Stark he was talking about in ADWD. 

If I had unhorsed Rhaegar and crowned Ashara queen of love and beauty, might she have looked to me instead of Stark?

We have multiple references of Ned and Ashara together, but Ned's name specified here would make NAJ a more solid theory, IMO.

If it was Brandon, well then, we would have extremely interesting info to work with when trying to figure out what happened from the beginning of the Harrenhal Tourney to the lifting of the Siege of Storm's End.

12 hours ago, Lollygag said:

Joff as the sole operator in Bran's attempted murder. But as GRRM himself undercuts this idea repeatedly and in different ways in the text, I can only think that Joff had help and it's too spoilery to give out the full story yet.

I also hate that and find it implausible, but it seemed to me that's what GRRM was really going for there. How did he undercut it?

A similar thing for me is how Edmure gets upbraided (and doesn't really have a reply in his own defense) for his victory at the Stone Mill, with Robb and Brynden both expecting Edmure to somehow realize Gregor needed to be lured west after Robb's psychic connection to Greywind led to him discovering that goat path and wreaking havoc in the Westerlands. Basically, I agree with Sean Collins. I suppose it would also be nicer if the Lannisters faced more internal tension from the Westerlands being raided, just as Robb lost support after the Ironborn attacked the North.

I assume that most members of gold cloaks are hired among population of King's Landing or those people living very close of that city. So chances are very high that most of them had very strong reasons to hate Lannisters. So in my version they would kill commander Slynt and Littlefinger when they tries to make them support Joffrey. After that gc will hunt down and slaughter all red cloaks and members of royal family.

Archived