Police #2: Burning down the house

Fragile Bird

@Tywin et al.

I think you’ve been away from this hood too long. It is not remotely the neighborhood it was ten years ago. It’s largely a target corporate employee hive now. TONS of cute little homes and businesses have been lost to “luxury micro apartments” and luxury apartments on the greenway where you can pay $3k a month for a 1br in a building with a concierge and a saltwater pool (and I mean that literally- this exactly what my brother does). And it IS very segregated in actual Uptown. I have lived here for about 7 years, was gone for the 5 before, and was here since 2001 before that. As a person of color living in Uptown I can tell you for sure it is very white and whiter all the time. And it’s the highest property taxes in the city, which raises rents higher and higher except for a few gems like my rental. It’s extremely gentrified. I know you’ve got great memories of Uptown and I do too. But 99.99999% of fellow natives I’ve ever seen in this neighborhood were homeless people busking. The welcoming experience you’ve had here isn’t the experience I’ve had and I have lived here for more than half my life. And a big part of that Is. Because. I’m. Not. White.

3 minutes ago, Fury Resurrected said:

@Tywin et al.

I think you’ve been away from this hood too long. It is not remotely the neighborhood it was ten years ago. It’s largely a target corporate employee hive now. TONS of cute little homes and businesses have been lost to “luxury micro apartments” and luxury apartments on the greenway where you can pay $3k a month for a 1br in a building with a concierge and a saltwater pool (and I mean that literally- this exactly what my brother does). And it IS very segregated in actual Uptown. I have lived here for about 7 years, was gone for the 5 before, and was here since 2001 before that. As a person of color living in Uptown I can tell you for sure it is very white and whiter all the time. And it’s the highest property taxes in the city, which raises rents higher and higher except for a few gems like my rental. It’s extremely gentrified. I know you’ve got great memories of Uptown and I do too. But 99.99999% of fellow natives I’ve ever seen in this neighborhood were homeless people busking. The welcoming experience you’ve had here isn’t the experience I’ve had and I have lived here for more than half my life. And a big part of that Is. Because. I’m. Not. White.

Yeah, the Gentrification got strong in that area of town.

5 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Trump appears to be calling his MAGAs to DC to start the race war.

Meanwhile, he peaces out to Florida for the second time in a week for a launch that has a 50/50 chance of happening. 

1 minute ago, Week said:

Meanwhile, he peaces out to Florida for the second time in a week for a launch that has a 50/50 chance of happening. 

Yep. Real master class in presidenting.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/05/29/how-western-media-would-cover-minneapolis-if-it-happened-another-country/

In recent years, the international community has sounded the alarm on the deteriorating political and human rights situation in the United States under the regime of Donald Trump. Now, as the country marks 100,000 deaths from the coronavirus pandemic [ Z here: which many health experts believe is in reality far higher], the former British colony finds itself in a downward spiral of ethnic violence. The fatigue and paralysis of the international community are evident in its silence, America experts say. [....]

Around the world, grass-roots organizations, celebrities, human rights activists and even students are doing what they can to raise money and awareness about the dire situation in America.

“It’s sad that the Americans don’t have a government that can get them coronavirus tests or even monthly checks to be able to feed their families,” said Charlotte Johnson, a 18-year-old Liberian student activist, who survived the Ebola pandemic. “100,000 people are dead, cities are burning, and the country hasn’t had a day of mourning? Lives don’t matter, especially not black lives. It’s like they’re living in a failing state.

Is it just me or are a lot of the protestors not wearing masks and not social distancing.  The lack of social distancing thing I kind of understand (but don't condone mind you), but I have a hard time with the not wearing masks.  I think I saw more masks worn in the protests prior to the pandemic than I'm seeing now. 

Feds are claiming this is "antifa like" violence, state and local claiming its white nationalists. Both claim it's out of towners and both sounds like bullshit attempts to delegitimize the protests and create and excuse using even more extreme violence on the protesters. (Not that it's not been incredibly extreme, one person covering it I saw on twitter has lost sight in one of their eyes from being shot with a tracer round)

Just now, Triskele said:

La stuff is only blocks from me.  Wild.  Seems like it could easily escalate.

It looks really ugly.

17 minutes ago, TrueMetis said:

Feds are claiming this is "antifa like" violence, state and local claiming its white nationalists. Both claim it's out of towners and both sounds like bullshit attempts to delegitimize the protests and create and excuse using even more extreme violence on the protesters. (Not that it's not been incredibly extreme, one person covering it I saw on twitter has lost sight in one of their eyes from being shot with a tracer round)

The reports I see from protesters disavow the violence. They say the people breaking windows and starting fires are mostly young white guys with backpacks, and some of this is happening in areas without protesters. Obviously there's something of a fog of war effect going on, but I don't trust the feds at all and it's easy to believe there are white supremacists agitators involved.

14 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

The reports I see from protesters disavow the violence. They say the people breaking windows and starting fires are mostly young white guys with backpacks, and some of this is happening in areas without protesters. Obviously there's something of a fog of war effect going on, but I don't trust the feds at all and it's easy to believe there are white supremacists agitators involved.

Oh sure there's definitely a couple, I follow people who've tracked and identified some. But the Governor claimed that 80% of those arrested were from out of town/state, something that is easily and verifiably a lie. Thing is, the white nationalists and cops hiding in plain clothes are not subtle, they are easily identified and they very clearly aren't a large number. So again, this is and clear attempt at delegitimizing the protesters, and it's not like it's a new line, except for the part about white nationalists this is exactly the line given during Ferguson.

As for disavowing violence, plenty of protesters, and even some of the local business owners who have been effected, have been like "this is the price you pay for trying to prevent justice." So let's not throw a bunch of people under the bus by trying to claim that none of the violence is legitimate.

ETA: Especially when so much of the violence comes in response to how the police escalate things.

16 hours ago, Fury Resurrected said:

@Tywin et al.

I've been going back and forth with how I wanted to respond to this. We'll set the last part aside for now, because I'm not exactly white either.

To me, Uptown represents freedom. Do as you please so long as you do no harm to others. A welcoming space, one in which you just leave people to be. 

But yes, it has changed a lot. Funny you cite "cute little homes." I miss the giant fixer uppers where eight people could live together and not know if there was anyone else in the house because there was so much space.

16 hours ago, Guy Kilmore said:

Yeah, the Gentrification got strong in that area of town.

It is everywhere. I have no idea how the students even live around Dinkytown. Much of the cheap living spaces have been torn down to build these empty expensive buildings. It's very different from when I went and lived there.

Just now, The Great Unwashed said:

Hmmm...I wonder why they're only vandalizing cop cars.

Maybe here they are, but everwhere else they are smashing all cars. I watched a bit this morning from San Jose where protestors stopped traffic on a highway and started smashing the windows of the cars in the front of the line.

Archived