Police #2: Burning down the house

Fragile Bird

30 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

If we hadn't won the Revolutionary War, we'd be forced to serve steaks to redcoats in our own homes. Much like happens to the Canadians.

Do the people have to provide a freshly slaughtered moose, or do they just use the one the Mountie rode in on?

Kay - how are things looking tonight? I had to turn my phone off just to get away from Twitter. I am afraid to turn it back on...

2 hours ago, Lightning Lord said:

Do the people have to provide a freshly slaughtered moose, or do they just use the one the Mountie rode in on?

Kay - how are things looking tonight? I had to turn my phone off just to get away from Twitter. I am afraid to turn it back on...

I’m patrolling with the block watch, got one suspicious vehicle so far from the sweep but curfew only started 45 min ago. Blackhawks all over. Since joining the nights watch (and similarly filled with soft types), I don’t really get to watch the streams overnight. I honestly felt safer with the burning and looting than with the national guard and FBI out

6 hours ago, Frey family reunion said:

I'm confused.  If the police are the devils, why are we so comfortable in letting them be the only ones who are armed?

The advent of a widespread police force makes the second and third amendments both arcane and irrelevant - unless you got plutonium there's not much point in trying to fight them through force.  That has nothing to do with the conduct of such a police force, which is by definition in the public's interest to oversee and, ya know, ensure they're not killing more people than they are stopping people from killing people.

6 hours ago, OldGimletEye said:

Don't discount the possibility that redcoats will come into your home, and then seize the remote control, forcing you to watch hours of Downtown Abbey, causing you to miss reruns of the Dukes of Hazzard.

Us third amendment rights activist are making sure that never happens. Don't discount the third amendment!

I watched The Crown, multiple times.  Is that sufficient?  If I have to watch Downton Abbey that's just as good of a cause to organize a convention as the colonists had.  Better, perhaps.

8 hours ago, S John said:

Yea, it’s a good way to get shot like 72 times.  Being in the right won’t help you much if that happens.

Just standing up could get you killed during a no-knock situation.  Actually shooting at the police is a near guarantee. 

Hopefully I'm not veering too far into paranoia, but I think it's a good idea for everyone to have cameras in their home and installed in their vehicles.  Information, visual information particularly, is the weapon of the people now. 

It's not like there's a shortage of videos of police brutality at the moment, but this one of Seattle PD stealing an umbrella so they could use pepper spray into the crack and then carpet the protest area with flash bangs and tear gas manages to stun me all the same. There's absolutely no attempt to even justify the violence they're doling out now, they just decide the revoke free speech and the right to protest

I'm fine in St Paul and I've just been watching it all play out on YouTube.  Yesterday the helicopters were incessant but I don't even know whether they were police or news helicopters. 

When the 3rd precinct burned, I was largely supportive.  There was no need to torch the businesses surrounding it but the police station itself?  Go ahead and let it burn.  That's the point, "Fuck the police."  There was that line from V for Vendetta, "people should not fear the government, the government should fear the people."  I agree with that and enjoyed the catharsis of hearing audio from the 3rd precinct, hearing the fear in his voice as he explained that they couldn't hold the building.

But because this played out in territory that was very familiar to me I had to assess the ways I've changed in 20+ years.

In the mid-90's I delivered pizza in that neighborhood.  I had trust and faith in the police from the 3rd precinct.  They got 50% off when they came into the restaurant, they responded professionally when we sounded the silent alarm.  Once I believe a man was about to jack me when the police cruiser came by and the guy backed off.  I appreciated them and looked to them to keep me safe.  I had naive confidence that they were the good guys.

It's hard to let go of that confidence.  For years I watched innocent people get killed by the police and thought, 'that's a damn shame but it was a mistake.'  I also thought 'that wouldn't happen in Minnesota.  Minnesota cops are better than that.'

Then I saw the execution of Philando Castile.  Later it was Justine Ruszczyk.  Last week it was George Floyd.

The Police have used up all their benefit of the doubt, it's gone. 

It's still hard. When I see police working security at events my impulse is to be polite and gracious but intellectually I know that they should not be given that courtesy.  Now I feel bad about giving them the benefit of the doubt. 

It is passing curious that in my perception, as crime has gone down police violence has increased.  I don't know if that is true or just faulty perception based on the loss of innocence.

12 minutes ago, litechick said:

I don't know if that is true or just faulty perception based on the loss of innocence.

I think it's faulty perception based on the fact that nearly every person in America carries a video camere on their person at all times these days. The violence hasn't increased, it's just being exposed.

7 hours ago, karaddin said:

Stay safe. I know it's pretty meaningless words but they're heart felt. 

It’s not meaningless.  It’s important that people know they matter and are cared for.  Saying that you do is important.

In that vein I hope everyone here helps others while being as safe as they can, everybody make it home, speaking for myself you all matter.

Well, it looks like Trump ordered the break up of a peaceful protest outside the WH, leading to tear gas and rubber bullets being fired. In my book this blatant and gross violation of people's civil rights and free speech should be grounds for impeachment. Not even the president can over rule the first amendment by fiat.

And the police officials that obeyed and conveyed the order should lose their jobs. They obeyed a patently illegal order.

Are there states or cities in the US that have managed to reduce police brutality and hold the police more accountable over the last 10 years? You would think some states/ cities have been able to do this and could be used as a standard.

3 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

No more pulling punches Trump is starting his play to keep power permanently.

To me, this is a bigger deal than the whole Ukraine situation.

5 hours ago, litechick said:

I'm fine in St Paul and I've just been watching it all play out on YouTube.  Yesterday the helicopters were incessant but I don't even know whether they were police or news helicopters. 

When the 3rd precinct burned, I was largely supportive.  There was no need to torch the businesses surrounding it but the police station itself?  Go ahead and let it burn.  That's the point, "Fuck the police."  There was that line from V for Vendetta, "people should not fear the government, the government should fear the people."  I agree with that and enjoyed the catharsis of hearing audio from the 3rd precinct, hearing the fear in his voice as he explained that they couldn't hold the building.

But because this played out in territory that was very familiar to me I had to assess the ways I've changed in 20+ years.

In the mid-90's I delivered pizza in that neighborhood.  I had trust and faith in the police from the 3rd precinct.  They got 50% off when they came into the restaurant, they responded professionally when we sounded the silent alarm.  Once I believe a man was about to jack me when the police cruiser came by and the guy backed off.  I appreciated them and looked to them to keep me safe.  I had naive confidence that they were the good guys.

It's hard to let go of that confidence.  For years I watched innocent people get killed by the police and thought, 'that's a damn shame but it was a mistake.'  I also thought 'that wouldn't happen in Minnesota.  Minnesota cops are better than that.'

Then I saw the execution of Philando Castile.  Later it was Justine Ruszczyk.  Last week it was George Floyd.

The Police have used up all their benefit of the doubt, it's gone. 

It's still hard. When I see police working security at events my impulse is to be polite and gracious but intellectually I know that they should not be given that courtesy.  Now I feel bad about giving them the benefit of the doubt. 

It is passing curious that in my perception, as crime has gone down police violence has increased.  I don't know if that is true or just faulty perception based on the loss of innocence.

I am feeling much the same way.  When I did homeless outreach there were some wonderful police officers who would reach out to us when dealing with the vulnerable homeless population.  All of that is burned away.  This is one of the jobs you can't have a few bad apples and it be a-ok.  Everyone needs to be good at what they do and at this point the whole culture is protecting these "bad apples".

I am glad you are safe.

2 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Yes.  Sadly, I think most Senate Republicans will still refuse to remove Trump from office.

Yeah, it seems that the people that shout "law and order" the loudest are the very same people that have the least respect for it. When they say "law and order" the translation is "You do whatever we say and we do whatever in the hell we please."

Archived