US Politics: Burning Down the Country

ThinkerX

15 hours ago, dbergkvist said:

But the question isn't why people are angry, but why this leads to violence and burning against non cops. And here you basically have two options:

1. The violence and looting is the result of cop/antifa/white supremacist infiltrators, or

2. The protestors are idiots who are unable to distinguish between police violence and a store selling stuff.

And of those two choices, I prefer it if people conclude that it's option 1. I would much rather that people get suspicious of "boogaloo boys" than of black people in general.

I'd go for 2 with slight modifications.

There's (almost) always some vandalism or opportunistic looting happening in the wake of large protests. I'd go with young (adolescent) males seizing the opportunity.  The destruction of Star Bucks shops (or Mac Donalds for that matter) at G20 protests, or police stations on this occasion on the other hand, those I can see more directly linked to the issue at hand. Anyway, before we get sidetracked into which businesses deserve to be burnt to the ground, the point was/is, I wouldn't see the looting of stores as part of the protests itself.

Looks like the Chinese government is seeing a pattern and they do like it 

“Mr President, don’t go hide behind the secret service,” said Hu. “Go to talk to the demonstrators seriously. Negotiate with them, just like you urged Beijing to talk to Hong Kong rioters.”

Guardian link

For the casual eye there really is no difference. Except maybe that the Chinese know what they are doing...unfortunately.

I don't think that DT has the self-awareness to eat his own words. But maybe it wouldn't be too bad to listen to them for once.

10 hours ago, larrytheimp said:

I'm honestly shocked that it took this long into Trump's term for this all to happen. 

All the rhetoric coming from all the Dem mayor's and Governor's offices is still status quo supporting, equivocating bullshit, hoping that this will all settle down.  This keeps happening because of 1) racism 2) there are have been no real reforms to the role of police in this country.  

That's the entire point of blaming "outside agitators"; the hope is that once this burns out the police can say that they trimmed out the losers and that it wasn't their community that resisted them, so everything is back to normal.  Everyone can "save face" in a "return to normalcy".  It's all kicking down the road for the next asshole to deal with.

We need massive policing reforms.  Massive disarmament of the police.  Not sure how any of this really happens. I like the idea of the defunding movements, in our system municipal departments live and die by $, kick them in the nads, kick them in the bank accounts. 

I remember advocating for 50% reduction in forces (layoffs, attrition) several "Police" threads ago.

Every other mature industry is subject to downsizing, it's high time we make big cuts to the men and woman in blue. There are too damn many of them that should have never been issued a badge.

Trump also being called out for his previous comments to Iran.

Reminder: https://www.politico.com/news/2020/01/11/trump-iran-protesters-tweets-097554

“To the leaders of Iran - DO NOT KILL YOUR PROTESTERS. Thousands have already been killed or imprisoned by you, and the World is watching. More importantly, the USA is watching. Turn your internet back on and let reporters roam free! Stop the killing of your great Iranian people!“

What a fuckboi.

55 minutes ago, Week said:

Trump also being called out for his previous comments to Iran.

Reminder: https://www.politico.com/news/2020/01/11/trump-iran-protesters-tweets-097554

What a fuckboi.

He's being trolled by the Chinese too, over the hypocrisy in his support for Hong Kong protesters.

China’s foreign ministry on Monday accused the U.S. of “double standards” in the way it dealt with protests at home and in Hong Kong.

“Why does the U.S. beautify the so-called Hong Kong independence and violent elements as heroes and fighters while it calls its own people protesting against racial discrimination ‘rioters’?” another ministry spokesman, Zhao Lijian, told a daily news briefing in Beijing. “Why does the U.S. point fingers at the constrained law enforcement by Hong Kong police but turn a blind eye to what happens at home while using shooting and even the National Guard against the protesters?”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-06-01/china-trolls-u-s-over-riots-after-trump-criticized-hong-kong

I love how they stick to passive language when it's very clear the person was killed by police shots. I'm also going to want to see compelling evidence to support them actually being shot at because they get zero benefit of the doubt after shooting a woman in her own bed.

This is as bullshit as the random violence. Arresting a guy for kneeling and calling for dialog and peace tells you all you need to fucking know about what these cops want

ETA: And also how much these enforcers of the law actually care about the law. Or freedom of speech.

22 minutes ago, karaddin said:

This is as bullshit as the random violence. Arresting a guy for kneeling and calling for dialog and peace tells you all you need to fucking know about what these cops want

It's no excuse for the stormtrooper demonstration there and all, but damn watching that clip I wanted to shut that guy up myself.  I don't believe "whining the establishment to death" is on the list of successful civil disobedience tactics.  That's not how you gain acceptance and support from a skeptical public, which is the entire point of protest movements.  

Reminds me of an anecdote from when I was living in DC when I was 18 or 19.  Late one night I was wandering with a group of friends right around the front of the Lincoln Memorial and (surprise, surprise) drunkenly flicking off cops.  This one car came up on me on the sidewalk then they cuffed and questioned me while taking my friends aside and telling them they should stay away from me (probably sage advice).  While cuffing me and running my record, I objected "I gotta plead ignorance on this being illegal."  One of the cops - the one who wasn't threatening to put me in a holding cell for the entire weekend - responded "I know where you got that from, George Costanza, right?"  It was pretty funny and defused the situation.  Not to say that has any relationship to any of this at all, of course - and I'm sure if I wasn't white they would have locked me up for the weekend.  Just reminded me.

I don't agree with his sentiment either, fuck them I don't cry for them. But he was very clearly doing nothing but speaking and they don't just get to arrest people for annoying them.

5 minutes ago, DMC said:

It's no excuse for the stormtrooper demonstration there and all, but damn watching that clip I wanted to shut that guy up myself.  I don't believe "whining the establishment to death" is on the list of successful civil disobedience tactics.  That's not how you gain acceptance and support from a skeptical public, which is the entire point of protest movements.  

I guess peacefully using your First Amendment rights to address authorities is also not an appropriate way to protest, either...

The fact that he was arrested because he was addressing them, while everyone else who was also kneeling there with him was left alone, is pretty clearly an abuse of power. He was causing no more disturbance than they were, but apparently because they were getting "annoyed" they decided to grab hold of him.

And, you know, protesters communicating with police as part of civil disobedience has its merits.

1 minute ago, Ran said:

And, you know, protesters communicating with police as part of civil disobedience has its merits.

My point was the entire strategy of successful protest movements is to demonstrate to the otherwise non-inclined public how and/or why there is an iniquity going on.  That did neither.  And I thought I was pretty clear obviously it was gross violation of rights and example of police abuse.  That's a given.

3 minutes ago, Ran said:

The fact that he was arrested because he was addressing them, while everyone else who was also kneeling there with him was left alone, is pretty clearly an abuse of power. He was causing no more disturbance than they were, but apparently because they were getting "annoyed" they decided to grab hold of him.

I hope he is able to section 1983 all their asses.

I feel like any hope that anyone will see justice from the hundreds of clearly illegal acts that police are engaging in is being hopelessly naive. This whole thing got started because they refuse to accept consequences for murdering people on camera in public, these abuses won't result in jack shit unless something major changes

56 minutes ago, karaddin said:

ETA: And also how much these enforcers of the law actually care about the law. Or freedom of speech.

It shouldn't be all that surprising that those that are entrusted to enforce the law, often are callous when it comes to people's rights, whether its the first amendment, the fourth, etc.

I remember once reading judicial opinion once about a fourth amendment case, where the appellate judge acted surprised by a particular police department trying to subvert fourth amendments rights. Evidently, the defense lawyer in the case was skillful enough to get witnesses for the police department to admit they routinely try to subvert fourth amendment rights, often going to some pretty shocking lengths. I was rolling my eyes the whole time at the judge that was just utterly shocked by this.

Part of the problem is prosecutors that too often willing to turn a blind eye to this sort of stuff.

Archived