US Politics: Burning Down the Country

ThinkerX

4 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

I don’t think residents will effectively keep a block safe, unless your definition of safe is broken people instead of broken things. I would much rather you all stayed safe inside until the world figures it’s shit out and/or gets bored.

The cops sure aren't keeping anyone safe, members of the community looking out for each other is risky for the individuals but they're having concrete impacts all the same.

There was a video yesterday of a guy in NY I think that jumped into a burning cop car to move it down the street and away from an apartment building - there's a decent chance he saved multiple lives by doing so. Kelli's mentioned they took a gas bottle from some provocateur that was likely going to torch a petrol station that's next to an apartment block. 

Yeah it's shitty that the communities are needing to protect themselves like this, but sticking together is also the best hope to get through it. And as much as we all hope she stays safe, I don't think Kelli could sit this out more than she is, she's too fucking strong, brave and cares about her community too much, and the risk of real harm if no one does this is too high. 

I'm pretty sure she's not going to risk herself for property though, by keeping the block safe see means the people. If I'm wrong, then I'm with James - fuck the property and keep yourselves safe.

1 minute ago, karaddin said:

Not sure if you mean "what we really think of them" as the good things or the bad, was that in reply to me?

No, not at all, sorry, had not seen your reply before I posted; more the bickering with each other generally. I know we’ve done it before, but I am a parent now and so you all need to change.

1 minute ago, James Arryn said:

No, not at all, sorry, had not seen your reply before I posted; more the bickering with each other generally. I know we’ve done it before, but I am a parent now and so you all need to change.

All good. It could easily have read as a response to me letting my admiration for our resident Fury show through and saying "nope, things aren't bad enough we have to admit to that shit yet" lol.

21 minutes ago, karaddin said:

It's mostly when you're drunk rather than high though and it tends to come with being very... abrasive as well.

Heh, appreciate the tentative language.  Albeit high and drunk tend to go hand in hand.  I understand I can be very...abrasive at times.

7 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

Hey now, while I'm very happy for you and yours it does not deny me my godgiven right as an American to pointlessly bicker at people!  That's kinda the basis of message boards.

17 minutes ago, karaddin said:

All good. It could easily have read as a response to me letting my admiration for our resident Fury show through and saying "nope, things aren't bad enough we have to admit to that shit yet" lol.

Yeah, I could see myself saying it too, before I ascended to this plane above you all, from where I look down in smug judgment on your petty disputes and trivial concerns in between bouts of ‘these angels deserve a better parent, someone more...qualified.‘

11 minutes ago, DMC said:

Heh, appreciate the tentative language.  Albeit high and drunk tend to go hand in hand.  I understand I can be very...abrasive at times.

Hey now, while I'm very happy for you and yours it does not deny me my godgiven right as an American to pointlessly bicker at people!  That's kinda the basis of message boards.

Nope, sorry, everyone has to change. I don’t make the rules, I get them communicated to me via YouTube videos on how to swaddle and such. It turns out new parents are the only people who matter. 

edit: ANDOFCOURSETHECHILDREN. 

Fuck, I’m gonna lose major points for forgetting about the fucking children for 5 seconds.

2 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

It turns out new parents are the only people who matter. 

You are extraordinarily special and the rest of us not only owe you our admiration, but also our unquestioning obedience.

Getting back on topic, how many voters would Trump have to keep detained for ‘looting’ and/or ‘terrorism’ to secure the election? Is it wrong that it occurs to me that this may well have occurred to him, letting the dogs lose on a constituency probably 90-95% guaranteed to vote Biden?

5 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

Getting back on topic, how many voters would Trump have to keep detained for ‘looting’ and/or ‘terrorism’ to secure the election?

Well, covid disproportionately kills people he routinely dehumanizes.  So such a number will unfortunately change.  OTOH, if old people really have shifted as much as polling suggests, no amount of voter suppression or negligent homicide will save him.

3 hours ago, DMC said:

I have a hard time affording credit to anyone that says they "knew" this would happen.  Pretty sure, in fact I know, there were tons of people that's greatest worry about Trump the moment he was elected (as well as before) was "what happens if this guy hast to deal with an actual crisis?"  I don't think anyone anticipated a pandemic, and certainly not covid, but police killing black people was pretty predictable.  So...yay for being right?  Seems incredibly self-centered in my book.

Lol. This coming from you.

Regarding the Morning Consult poll that was linked, that was for all adults where it makes sense you would have a larger pool of undecideds (46/37/17). They also have the numbers for RVs, and there we have 51/39/10; in other words Biden +10 with 10% undecided. On the other hand, YouGov has 47/43 for Biden with LVs.

Its still early days, but there is a modest trend for RV --> LV resulting in smaller margins for Biden. Again, we have to wait and see.

41 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Its still early days, but there is a modest trend for RV --> LV resulting in smaller margins for Biden. Again, we have to wait and see.

Democratic candidates always lose ground when you switch from adults to registered voters to likely voters.  My concern is the size of the difference between the latter two.  It's something to keep an eye on in the coming months.

8 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

How long will it be before there’s a mid-air collision between Blackhawks?

I don't think the world is ready for a new Bruckheimer movie starring Josh Hartnett. I, for one, am not eager for a new Bruckheimer movie at all, but that's another story. Altho, part of me is curious how much he will rewrite history this time, and whether Chris Hemsworth would take the role as POTUS, but afterall I don't think it's worth it.

I think when people talk about Blackhawks down nowadays, they generally refer to Jonathan Toews (yes, that was there for you Canadians out there. You are welcome.).

6 hours ago, Kalbear said:

I think Sarah Kenzidor once said to keep track of how small things and small values change around you in authoritarian times, because day to day it's hard to see how it changes. But looking at how things are handled now compared to Ferguson is pretty telling. Or even in 2016 with Philando Castile. The violence is significantly worse, and the police brutality is absurdly worse. That was the sort of thing people told me I was freaking out about in 2017, overflowing things, and there were checks and balances. So much for that. 

I guess the real telling point if you want to sing my praises of predictions is seeing whether or not we have anything remotely like a fair election. That's the big one I've been harping for years now, and I still think that all the looking at polls, the study of demos, etc - none of that matters. It will be rigged, itll go to scotus, and scotus will allow it. 

We'll see. I tend to still be optimistic about the election, for three reasons. One, Trump has no legal authorities to interfere with it (beyond thr standard Republican stuff). Everything else he does, even last night, has been rooted in the excessive powers we've granted the president. Two, 2018 happened and was a big blow to him. Yes it was 18 months ago and he personally wasn't on the ballot, but there wasn't even an attempt by him. Three, elections are decentralized in a way that nothing else he's messed with, including policing, have been.

Gotta be vigilant of course. But I wouldn't despair over the election. OTOH, if something does happen; that's the end. We're in actual civil war territory.

Who do you expect to enforce the law if his actions overstep his legal authority with respect to attempting to interfere in the election? Because the police don't exactly seem too concerned about the legal limits of power right now.

3 minutes ago, karaddin said:

Who do you expect to enforce the law if his actions overstep his legal authority with respect to attempting to interfere in the election? Because the police don't exactly seem too concerned about the legal limits of power right now.

Or Republican Senators...or the Cabinet...most Republican governors...

Archived