"Someone Told. Someone Always Tells."

Canon Claude

Just now, Canon Claude said:

Or maybe Hotah was blowing smoke up Arianne's arse and nobody actually told? 

You must be proud to have put that mental image in all our heads. 

But to answer your question, I’m going with Darkstar. Otherwise his character is super random and unimportant and overhyped. It helps explain why Doran is so determined to have Darkstar killed; can’t have a conspirator on the run with damning information, can he?

I'm betting that it was Andrey Dalt. Dalt is one of the many people who is attracted to Arianne Martell, and she's busy sexually manipulating another man where Andrey can practically see it. Why shouldn't he be resentful of Arianne's sexually promiscuous behaviour? I know Dorne's supposed to be the hotbed for progressive attitudes, but people still have hurt feelings and unrequited desire. 

Also, Andrey's "punishment" is serving Doran Martell's ex-wife in Essos. I get that Doran and Mellario don't have a good relationship, but (A) why would Doran send a criminal to Mellario for her service, and (B) why would Mellario agree to take said criminal into her household? And furthermore, serving Mellario overseas is not a punishment, that's a paid vacation. Sylva Santagar is getting hitched to Eldon Estermont, a man old enough to be her grandfather. And she's the heir of her own house! Compared to that, Andrey got off light. I'm willing to bet that Andrey was Doran's eyes and ears, and when the trap was sprung, he gets a "punishment" which has him out of the way for a while.

14 hours ago, Floki of the Ironborn said:

Sylva Santagar is getting hitched to Eldon Estermont, a man old enough to be her grandfather. And she's the heir of her own house!

But her punishment came down from her own father if Doran is to be believed, while he was the one who punished both Garin and Drey. It always had the feel that her father was trying to get rid of her. 

I can buy that it's Drey. When Doran was leaving the Water Gardens in The Captain of the Guards, we were told that he took the time to say his good byes to the children who had become his favorites. And one of the children mentioned was a Dalt boy (he also names Lady Blackmont's brood, so she has more than two children who went to KL with her. And there was also an orphan girl mention as well).

We don't know who he is and what he is to Drey and his brother, but here we are. Doran has a young Dalt boy at the Water Gardens which could turn out to have some significance.

1 hour ago, Travis said:

Please forgive, but what is this OP about. I don't know what "Someone told. Someone always tells" refers to. It has been a long time since I read the books, and I could not make the connection from the OP or the responses.

The topic is about Arianne Martell’s POV in A Feast For Crows. She and a group of friends attempt to crown Myrcella as queen to start a succession war and incite the Dornish people. Myrcella had been sent to Dorne by Tyrion back in A Clash of Kings. Arianne argued that under Dornish law (younger male children do not inherit before older female children) Myrcella was queen. Arianne and her party tried to take Myrcella to Hellholt, where they hoped to get support from Lord Uller. However, they were intercepted en route by Areo Hotah, Prince Doran Martell’s captain of the guard. Areo captured Arianne and Co. and Ser Arys Oakheart (Kingsguard and Myrcella’s sworn shield who was coerced into helping by Arianne) was killed by him. Gerold Dayne, a member of the conspiracy, attenpted to kill Myrcella, but she survives, albeit disfigured.

Somehow Areo and Doran knew where the group were, with Areo remarking “Someone told. Someone always tells.”

The main suspects are those in Arianne’s conspiracy. Andrey Dalt, heir to Lemonwood. Garin, an orphan of the Greenblood from the Planky Town. Sylva Santagar, heir to Spottswood. Gerold Dayne, called Darkstar.

The punishments each member receives may provide clues to their possible betrayal. Dalt was sent to Norvos in Essos to serve Doran’s estranged wife Mellaria. Sylva was married off to Eldon Estermont, Lord of Greenstone, scion of an impoverished Stormlands house. Garin was first sent to the island prison of Ghaston Grey, but was later sent for two years to Tyrosh. Gerold Dayne escaped after his attempted murder of Myrcella and is being hunted by the Kingsguard Balon Swann.

Hope this helps!

4 minutes ago, McGuv19 said:

The topic is about Arianne Martell’s POV in A Feast For Crows. She and a group of friends attempt to crown Myrcella as queen to start a succession war and incite the Dornish people. Myrcella had been sent to Dorne by Tyrion back in A Clash of Kings. Arianne argued that under Dornish law (younger male children do not inherit before older female children) Myrcella was queen. Arianne and her party tried to take Myrcella to Hellholt, where they hoped to get support from Lord Uller. However, they were intercepted en route by Areo Hotah, Prince Doran Martell’s captain of the guard. Areo captured Arianne and Co. and Ser Arys Oakheart (Kingsguard and Myrcella’s sworn shield who was coerced into helping by Arianne) was killed by him. Gerold Dayne, a member of the conspiracy, attenpted to kill Myrcella, but she survives, albeit disfigured.

Somehow Areo and Doran knew where the group were, with Areo remarking “Someone told. Someone always tells.”

The main suspects are those in Arianne’s conspiracy. Andrey Dalt, heir to Lemonwood. Garin, an orphan of the Greenblood from the Planky Town. Sylva Santagar, heir to Spottswood. Gerold Dayne, called Darkstar.

The punishments each member receives may provide clues to their possible betrayal. Dalt was sent to Norvos in Essos to serve Doran’s estranged wife Mellaria. Sylva was married off to Eldon Estermont, Lord of Greenstone, scion of an impoverished Stormlands house. Garin was first sent to the island prison of Ghaston Grey, but was later sent for two years to Tyrosh. Gerold Dayne escaped after his attempted murder of Myrcella and is being hunted by the Kingsguard Balon Swann.

Hope this helps!

It does! Thank you. I remember all this, and I suspected this was what the post was about, but I didn't remember the quote in the title, and so it threw me off and I was confused.

• Gerold Dayne telling Doran would ruin his plans to mutilate Myrcella and start a war, so it could not be him.
  • Arys Oakheart hardly knew anything about the journey. And if he had informed Doran, he would have known about Arianne's misunderstanding about her disinheritance before they meet in "The Princess in the Tower."
  • Likewise, Garin telling Doran would have let him know that Arianne knew that Quentyn had gone east.
  • According to Arianne's thoughts, Drey "had wanted a larger party, but that might have attracted unwelcome attention, and every additional man doubled the risk of betrayal." Unless this is 4D chess, his proposal would have put Arianne's followers in a stronger position when Hotah found them. He also gains nothing by this betrayal; I really doubt that temporary exile is ideal for him.
  • There's no damning evidence against Sylva, but I really have to doubt that being wed to an octogenarian was a reward that she got for informing - it seems like a punishment to me. Actually, I would call her punishment the worst one compared to Garin and Drey, at least theirs has a time limit, while she has to be wed to old man Estermont until he croaks.

Whether Hotah actually knew or not, I don't think anyone told. Rather there were already enough pieces to work with for Doran to pick up on Arianne's plan without someone directly betraying her. 

Archived