Acrophilia #22: I've Taken Your Castle

Eternally_Theirs

Rules

To sign up, each player should send me (the host, Julia H.) a private message entitled Acrophilia #21 + <their board name>. All players will be assigned a character privately. The player’s task is to create a clue to the given character using one of three publicly provided acronyms. Each word in the clue must have a first letter that corresponds with the sequence of letters in the acronym. Words used must have definitions that are easily searchable. Proper nouns from the ASOIAF world or direct references to sigils are not allowed in the clues. Special care should be taken to produce a clue that fits the answer better than any other character in the ASOIAF world. The acceptability of the submitted clue will be determined by the host, who may ask for an explanation to the clue’s workings. You may be given a week or so to produce an acceptable clue.

Once the deadline has passed and all clues are ratified, the clues will be published on the thread. Players wil have to solve the clues (guess the characters), and there will also be some kind of puzzle to work out, a theme or link encompassing all of the answers. Working this out will make it easier to answer the harder clues. All guessing must take place via personal messaging to the host. Players must not reveal their guesses or their authorship of a clue on the board.  

There will be five rounds. Individual rounds may have differences for the sake of balancing difficulty levels if that's what the host wants. In general, however, players will have a preliminary round of guessing before the final round, where the host will tell them how many of their guesses are correct (but not which ones), as well as other moves (such as yes-no questions) - possibly varying from round to round. 

Finally, after the deadline passes and the answers are revealed, a short spell to finish off your clues for the next round will take place, during which you may vote for a favourite clue. The host will count up the points and then release the clues for the next round.

The winner of the game is the player with the most points at the end of the game. 

The twist in this game that the host could volunteer for every round. If no one volunteers for five days, the host will be decided randomly. The host  can make up specifics for that round concerning the round structure (e.g whether to give yes/no questions, open questions or any other form of help). The host will have maximum points for their round added to their score. In case the chosen host of a certain round cannot host it for any reason, the original creator will host that round instead. Each host has an option to pick an ASOIAF house, and the DMs for their round will be in this format: Round number - username of person sending the DM - name of house chosen by current host.

Guessing the clues: 2 points for each correct answer

Guessing the theme: 4 points for a correct answer (fewer points may be awarded for getting close to the theme)

Guessing the mini-theme: 1 point for each correct answer (not always applicable)

Favorite clue: 1 point for each vote (only for players who have also voted!)

Very well. The only twist is that the host could volunteer for every round. If no one volunteers for five days, the host will be decided randomly/ The host  can make up specifics for that round concerning help (e.g whether to give yes/no questions, open questions or any other form of help). The rest of the rules remains the same as in the usual games.

On 6/1/2020 at 2:50 PM, Eternally_His said:

Very well. The only twist is that the host could volunteer for every round. If no one volunteers for five days, the host will be decided randomly/ The host  can make up specifics for that round concerning help (e.g whether to give yes/no questions, open questions or any other form of help). The rest of the rules remains the same as in the usual games.

I'm sorry, could you clarify if that means that every player must host once, or any player can host as many times as they would like where others may not need to?  In case of the latter, there should probably be "hosting points" as the host would be giving up their guessing points for that round.

Thank you :) 

I feel I will not be able to come up with a round very quickly. Any original ideas that I have had turn to nothing on closer examination. I suppose I might be able to come up with a plain old round.

I'm in.

• 4 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Eternally_His said:

Okay, I give up. Since no one else is willing to sign up, someone else can host this round-robin game. Let's see if you can host it better.

People might just not realize that it's time to start.

Maybe edit your first post to include the rules.  These can be copy pasted from any other Philia game and adjusted to account for the round-robin structure and and other special twists you might like to add to the game :D Also, edit the thread title to add "Sign-ups open"

Then, just invite folks to join.

:) 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived