Acrophilia #22: I've Taken Your Castle

Eternally_Theirs

Besides, I am not falling for that. What if I add the rules and still no one signs-up?

I've been deceived in a similar manner once before. A game was supposed to be approved, and I kept adding clarifications according to suggestions of the person who was supposed to approve it. I added them dutifully, only to learn that they had no intention of approving in and were stringing me along the whole time. I am not falling for that sort of thing again.

If you want rules, then sign-up first. I am not going through the effort of putting them up only for you to bail out anyway. Not unless I have a written guarantee that people will sign-up instantly once I do.

On 7/22/2020 at 11:02 PM, Eternally_His said:

Nah, the two preceding threads didn't have rules in sign-ups. The rules were only written in actual game threads.

We didn't have sign-up threads. People need to know how it's going to work before signing up.

It's nice that you have taken it upon yourself to assume responsibility for the next game but you must foster trust in prospective players. You need to show that you know what you're doing even if you're winging it.

As of now, you continue to be off-putting to people. Nobody wants to play when the host cannot even explain how the game will work and acts like everyone else is being ridiculous just for asking for some clarity on how the game will work.

Sort your stroppy attitude out or the game won't happen.

10 hours ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

We didn't have sign-up threads. People need to know how it's going to work before signing up.

It's nice that you have taken it upon yourself to assume responsibility for the next game but you must foster trust in prospective players. You need to show that you know what you're doing even if you're winging it.

As of now, you continue to be off-putting to people. Nobody wants to play when the host cannot even explain how the game will work and acts like everyone else is being ridiculous just for asking for some clarity on how the game will work.

Sort your stroppy attitude out or the game won't happen.

What if they get the rules and everything else and then decide they just can't be bothered anyway? :angry:

Do I have everyone's guarantee that they will sign-up after I explained the rules and that they won't find an excuse not to play after the fact? Yes or no?

Because I won't bother doing all the work only to receive no results in the end. If you are okay with putting a large effort into making the game work only for no one to want to play regardless, that's your preference, but I am not.

Real life example: Imagine if you spent months studying, memorizing everything perfectly. Then you get there and learn that none of the teachers showed up. You sit there waiting for hours and none of them show up. How would that make you feel?

I am trying to prevent that from happening.

You're being vague. Are you compiling the rounds or are you trying to do that version where every player hosts a round? Some have suggested they'd like to play but don't want to host a round. Ask potential players if they are willing to host a round. If you only get 3 positive responses then that idea for the game probably isn't going to work, so then you have to decide whether or not you actually want to host a full game and provide all the rounds.

Or, let's say you get 4 players willing to host a round and 4 others who want to play but not host a round. You could have two separate competitions in the same game, one between the hosts and one between the players. It's a bit messy but I think that's probably the only way that version will work because I don't think you'll get enough people willing to create a round.

But the point is, you haven't checked with prospective players if they're willing to create and host a round. You need to tell them what they're getting themselves into. You can't just force them to sign up and then force them to create a round for the game. You created the thread, so take some responsibility.

So, let me get this straight. If it were you hosting and you spent days making the game work and then no one signed up, you wouldn't be the slightest bit upset? Go on, tell me you wouldn't be, so I can call you a liar. Go on.

But then, you wouldn't understand where I am coming from, so I won't talk to you anymore. Bye.

In fact, you make the next round, with all that entails, and I'll actively dissuade the players from signing up. Then, when you have zero players despite the efforts, maybe you'll understand my point of view.

Yeah, I know it's petty, but if you don't understand what I am saying, then maybe you'll understand it through a demonstration.

This doesn't have to be so difficult.

Just cut and paste the rules from Julia's last game into your first post.  All you have to do then is make some adjustments for the round-robin style hosting.  Like Gabe said, make some accommodation for the fact that players may not want to host.  It could be as simple as two different ways of scoring.   Regular scoring for the players, and maybe just an automatic 30-40 points for the host since they won't get the playing points in that round.  

Honestly, much more time has been spent in arguing about doing this than it would take to just do it.

$0.02

See, I told you. I've added the rules, so why the hell is no one signing up yet? Why didn't at least one or two people sign up yet?

You know, to hell with everything. You refuse to sign up even after I've added the rules.

So the game is cancelled. To those who wanted to play, shove it. You had your chance.

5 hours you gave it after copying and pasting Julia's set of rules. I bet nobody who was interested in playing even looked at this in those 5 hours.

If you want to get people's attention, you have to tag them. Even then many won't see it for a few days.

I never said I'd sign up. I'm not interested in playing at the moment, I was only trying to help you out.

2 hours ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

Also, you literally just copied and pasted Julia's rules. You didn't modify it for this game so still nobody knows how this game is going to work.

No, I did modify. Look more closely. If you compare her version to mine, you'll notice that I've added a sentence or two explaining how this works.

47 minutes ago, Eternally_His said:

No, I did modify. Look more closely. If you compare her version to mine, you'll notice that I've added a sentence or two explaining how this works.

Okay, now tag a bunch of past players and those who already expressed interest. It's been a while since the last acro games so they won't be logging in very often. Ask if they are interested in playing the game under those rules.

@Dolorous Gabe for example

• 4 weeks later...

Archived