Maester Cressen

CassDarry

Good questions!

I'm guessing that, in the case of Cat, she was generalizing, because we know Rob was born in Riverrun, and probably the RR maester was in attendance. I don't see Maester Luwin leaving his post in Winterfell to travel "a thousand leagues" in the midst of a war. But he was present for Sansa, Arya, Bran and Rickon, so 4 out of 5 ain't bad.

As for Cressen and Stannis, maybe Stannis requested Cressen to accompany him, and as a stickler for  protocol, asked permission from the Citadel. Robert would have maesters out the wazoo in the Red Keep, plus the Traitor (to Aerys! another plus) Pycelle. Renly was still just a kid and would have had little voice in the matter. We actually don't know who (correct me if I'm wrong!) the Dragonstone maester was at the time, but he might have fled with the remaining Targaryens and loyalists. I'm assuming someone was present to aid in Dany's birth. Or maybe not, considering that her mother Rhaella died.

I think Maester Cressen just opted to follow Stannis, he saw Stannis as his own son, you can see all that during the prologue, he knew Stannis was the one who needed him the most, since he was the unloved one of the three siblings.

I think Maester Vyman was the one who helped Catelyn with Robb, since he was born in Riverrun. Maester Luwin surely was in Winterfell and helped Cat with Sansa, Arya, Bran and Rickon.

Maesters are loyal to the castles they are assigned to serve at, you can see that even Maester Luwin is fond of the Starks, he knew he was forced to serve Theon when he took Winterfell, he even gave him good advices.

Maester Cressen just chose to follow Stannis, it was an unlikely choice for a maester, but he did it, out of love for Stannis.

On 6/1/2020 at 6:00 PM, zandru said:

I'm guessing that, in the case of Cat, she was generalizing, because we know Rob was born in Riverrun, and probably the RR maester was in attendance. I don't see Maester Luwin leaving his post in Winterfell to travel "a thousand leagues" in the midst of a war. But he was present for Sansa, Arya, Bran and Rickon, so 4 out of 5 ain't bad.

Actually we do not know when Luwin came to Winterfell or where he he was b4 that. But we know that when lord Rickard was alive maester of WF was Walys.

So I assume that Luwin was not there until maester Walys became incapable to carry out his duties. Naturally assuming that there can be only one active maester in WF. Alas we do not know what happened to m Walys. So it is possible that maester of RR during the rebellion was Luwin and he became new maester of WF when previous maester died.

On 6/1/2020 at 11:00 AM, zandru said:

Good questions!

As for Cressen and Stannis, maybe Stannis requested Cressen to accompany him, and as a stickler for  protocol, asked permission from the Citadel. Robert would have maesters out the wazoo in the Red Keep, plus the Traitor (to Aerys! another plus) Pycelle. Renly was still just a kid and would have had little voice in the matter. We actually don't know who (correct me if I'm wrong!) the Dragonstone maester was at the time, but he might have fled with the remaining Targaryens and loyalists. I'm assuming someone was present to aid in Dany's birth. Or maybe not, considering that her mother Rhaella died.

My guess only.  I have no proof.  The maester at Dragonstone during Dany's birth was Archmaester Marwyn.  

Maester Cressen isn't the first one to serve at two different castles. Maester Aemon served at some lordling's castle before he became maester at Dragonstone. 

On 6/2/2020 at 1:15 PM, Loose Bolt said:

So I assume that Luwin was not there until maester Walys became incapable to carry out his duties. Naturally assuming that there can be only one active maester in WF. Alas we do not know what happened to m Walys. So it is possible that maester of RR during the rebellion was Luwin and he became new maester of WF when previous maester died.

I don't think you introduce something called "southrom ambitions" and a character who would presumably have known all about it to never bring him up again. The precedent for maesters serving at different castles exists. He could have gone elsewhere or returned to Oldtown. I wouldn't be remotely surprised if he turned out to be Leyton Hightower's maester, or just one of the maesters of the Citadel that we will encounter through Sam's POV. At this point, Maester Walys is the only person who can answer questions about what Rickard Stark was up to given the accusation Barbrey Dustin leveled at both men.

Archived