Social Unrest

I want to personally thank the owners of this web site for creating a place where Martin's readers can gather to discuss the story we all love.  I know it is veering off the forum but it is nice to have a place of calm in the middle of the social storm our world is experiencing right now.  George Martin uses social unrest to show the power of the people.  It is unfathomable when you think about Cersei's humiliation.  This is the queen mother for god's sake.  The High Sparrow knows how to use the power of many people to push his will along.  The Harpy knows how to use terrorism to create fear and disorder.  The street people of Kings Landing are not organized but the numbers they had was enough to put fear in the hearts of King Joffrey and Sansa Stark.  The Eyrie will bring riot to Petyr's door teps if he isn't careful.  All that grain stored in place because he is speculating carries its own high risk from spoilage.

The North is not a place where large public demonstrations will work because it has no cities.  The next big riot will happen in places like KL and Oldtown.  What do you feel will contribute to the social unrest which could lead to a larger mass riot in the capital city?  I would think the spread of Greyscale will be worsened by something like a riot.  Will the fear of contracting the disease discourage public demonstrations?  

On 6/1/2020 at 8:25 AM, H Wadsey Longfellow said:

The North is not a place where large public demonstrations will work because it has no cities

Demonstration isnt the only form of protest

And I dont even know if Westeros has the concept of "public demonstrations" like we do here. All we've seen so far are mobs, riots, religious prophets of doom preaching on the streets, or desperate people running for their lives.

Dany. They'll hate her for about 20 reasons, here's a topic on it.

The High Septon will likely refuse to crown her and Sansa will be playing the people against her in the background. Hunger will play a part, Sansa will control the Vale and so the food source to KL.

Many a thing could be the spark that sets it off, the High Septon dying and Dany being blamed, her sentencing Jaime to the dragon pit after it becomes known why he killed Aerys. Whatever the final straw, Dany will be removed from power in KL by power of the people, and be forced to flee for her life.

That's why she ends up in the north and with Jon.

On 6/4/2020 at 8:16 PM, H Wadsey Longfellow said:

I guess this is a sensitive topic right now to those of us who live in the bigger U.S. cities.

There is a very robust conversation about current events in the general forum, if you are interested in discussing it.  

8 hours ago, Rose of Red Lake said:

I think the people will be fleeing from her rather than them running her out.

It doesn't end at Dany sacking KL, if she does indeed sack it.

The contrivances are apparent and the foreshadowing basic, Dany's fall is the culmination of her madness arc and the redemption of Jaime and Tyrion.

Dany kills beloved Aegon and with her foreign horde and gods takes KL, she is hated by Faith and common folk alike. The same Faith and common folk Tyrion saved once from the Red God. Jaime owes the dragon the truth about why he killed her father, when the truth comes out the city will know him their hero and when Dany sentences him to death in the dragon pit (GRRM gives us this one for free)

"I dreamed about the queen," he said. "I was on my knees before her, swearing my allegiance, but she mistook me for my brother, Jaime, and fed me to her dragons."

"Let us hope this dream was not prophetic.

the city will be set to erupt, again, as they did before against the only other dragon queen ever.

The city saves Jaime as Jaime once did the city. Tyrion saves Jaime, as Jaime did Tyrion. And Mad Queen Dany abandoned after all her treasons must flee for her life, and is given an example in Jon to reflect on her ways, and embrace again the saviour she was meant to be and discard the ruler she was not.

On 6/1/2020 at 11:25 AM, H Wadsey Longfellow said:

I want to personally thank the owners of this web site for creating a place where Martin's readers can gather to discuss the story we all love.  I know it is veering off the forum but it is nice to have a place of calm in the middle of the social storm our world is experiencing right now.  George Martin uses social unrest to show the power of the people.  It is unfathomable when you think about Cersei's humiliation.  This is the queen mother for god's sake.  The High Sparrow knows how to use the power of many people to push his will along.  The Harpy knows how to use terrorism to create fear and disorder.  The street people of Kings Landing are not organized but the numbers they had was enough to put fear in the hearts of King Joffrey and Sansa Stark.  The Eyrie will bring riot to Petyr's door teps if he isn't careful.  All that grain stored in place because he is speculating carries its own high risk from spoilage.

The North is not a place where large public demonstrations will work because it has no cities.  The next big riot will happen in places like KL and Oldtown.  What do you feel will contribute to the social unrest which could lead to a larger mass riot in the capital city?  I would think the spread of Greyscale will be worsened by something like a riot.  Will the fear of contracting the disease discourage public demonstrations?  

There already are pockets of unrest all over.  The Sparrow movement is a revolution more than a protest.  Quite effective enough to force Cersei into humiliation.  The people will only get stronger and make their voices heard.  Greyscale is not going to put the dampers on that.  Connington and Shireen will be blamed for the spread.  It will not go well for them. 

Dany's existence will become the news in Westeros and the people will call for a return to Targaryen rule.

Archived