Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Stannis th3 Mannis

Skagos mystery

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, LynnS said:

Yes, he's a pretty traumatized kid when last we saw him.  Basically running wild at Winterfell with nobody taking much notice of him.  Before them, crying for his mother and hanging onto Rob's leg.  I do think there is some hope for him with Osha.  She may become a substitute mother and help to stabilize him emotionally.  She may know more about wargs and skinchanging as a wildling than we think.  She might be the only person Rickon will listen to.  And then we don't know what Bran will do, if he will contact Rickon in the same way that he contacts Jon.  So it might not be as bleak as it appears now.  

I think Osha certainly will be a good surrogate mother for Rickon, but I doubt she will be able to help him much with the skinchanger thing, nor be able to help him overcome the grief and anger he feels for being abandoned by his entire family. If Osha knew skinchanger stuff she would have helped Bran and Rickon with their wolves back when they were all at Winterfell.

I certainly think Rickon is going to be better once Davos finds him and takes him to White Harbor or, more likely, directly to the Wall to Jon and Stannis, but I very much doubt he will become a good figurehead pretender - and not just due to his age.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

I think Osha certainly will be a good surrogate mother for Rickon, but I doubt she will be able to help him much with the skinchanger thing, nor be able to help him overcome the grief and anger he feels for being abandoned by his entire family. If Osha knew skinchanger stuff she would have helped Bran and Rickon with their wolves back when they were all at Winterfell.

I certainly think Rickon is going to be better once Davos finds him and takes him to White Harbor or, more likely, directly to the Wall to Jon and Stannis, but I very much doubt he will become a good figurehead pretender - and not just due to his age.

Bran had Meera and Jojen.  Osha may be able to intervene when Rickon is wolf dreaming. That's what I'm thinking.  The Skagosi  will certainly get information about wights and the Others from Osha and Rickon may even spill the beans about Bran.  They still follow the old gods so who knows how they will react to Rickon and his direwolf.  I imagine they may decide to follow Rickon to the Wall if that is where Davos takes him.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LynnS said:

Bran had Meera and Jojen.  Osha may be able to intervene when Rickon is wolf dreaming. That's what I'm thinking.  The Skagosi  will certainly get information about wights and the Others from Osha and Rickon may even spill the beans about Bran.  They still follow the old gods so who knows how they will react to Rickon and his direwolf.  I imagine they may decide to follow Rickon to the Wall if that is where Davos takes him.   

But Osha never tried to advise Bran on the warg thing while she was with them, nor did she make any attempts to help Luwin understand what was going on. If she knew stuff about all that, her behavior is very odd in AGoT and ACoK.

I also expect some Skagosi, and possibly all their leaders to eventually dispatch men with Rickon when he leaves. But I don't expect those to be all that many, nor do I think all those men are going to have necessarily good intentions. Their support for Rickon could involve a demand to free Skagos from the yoke of Winterfell so they are free again as they wanted to be back when they rebelled.

Or they might intend to use a Stark pretender to gain a foothold - and more than just a foothold - in the North proper, by getting 'Lord Rickon' to cede certain lands to them - say, lands presently controlled by the Boltons.

I'm skeptical about them having deep insights into Others stuff, but they could have had news of their own from the mainland. One would expect Skagos being an island is going to ensure they are safe for the time being, but if wights had shown up on Skagos then the plot there could help escalate things.

The problem with Rickon himself is that Shaggy seems to have been the wildest of the direwolves from the start, and the nature of their bond seems to have been very much based on Rickon's anger. We don't know if Rickon actively has any wolf dreams/skinchanges into Shaggy yet, but if he were to do that as a four/five-yea-old it would be very bad for his psyche even if he already had another skinchanger/expert to guide him. Note that even Jojen could teach Bran skinchanger stuff, he could just share what he knew. And the theoretical knowledge that Bran shouldn't spend too much time in Summer less he loses more and more parts of himself didn't exactly stop Bran from doing just that. With Rickon things might be worse.

In fact, I expect both Jon (due to his prolonged stay in Ghost after his death) as well as Rickon to become examples for the dangers of skinchanging, whereas Arya and Bran will fare pretty well. They will be able to control things, but Jon might be irrevocably marred 'by the beast' after his return into his body, being unable to give up certain wolf-like traits and characteristics he acquired.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, LynnS said:

Yes, he's a pretty traumatized kid when last we saw him.  Basically running wild at Winterfell with nobody taking much notice of him.  Before them, crying for his mother and hanging onto Rob's leg.  I do think there is some hope for him with Osha.  She may become a substitute mother and help to stabilize him emotionally.  She may know more about wargs and skinchanging as a wildling than we think.  She might be the only person Rickon will listen to.  And then we don't know what Bran will do, if he will contact Rickon in the same way that he contacts Jon.  So it might not be as bleak as it appears now.  

He might have a chance if he got more of his personality from the Tullys.  Not if he is a Stark with the wolf blood.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lady Topspin said:

He might have a chance if he got more of his personality from the Tullys.  Not if he is a Stark with the wolf blood.  

If he was a Tully, he wouldn’t have had the skin changing ability in the first place. Can you imagine how lacklustre of an experience it would be to skin change with a trout??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, James Steller said:

If he was a Tully, he wouldn’t have had the skin changing ability in the first place. Can you imagine how lacklustre of an experience it would be to skin change with a trout??

It's still more exciting than skin changing with the sun and a random spear posing in front of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is also a possibility that Cat's children could have connections with bats. Naturally assuming that they had inherited right genes from their grandmother. But I really have to ask from which ancestor Arya has gained her ability to take over cats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/2/2020 at 12:29 PM, Canon Claude said:

That feels like a nod to the old horror/adventure stories, the ones that were even more extreme than "Heart of Darkness", where Davos braves a savage country to find Rickon based on a hunch, only to realize that he was cooked and eaten a long time ago, and Shaggydog is in fact being kept for entertainment purposes. As creepy a twist as that would be, it'd also be a bit anticlimactic to have Rickon dead so easily.

Rickon is the future of the Starks.  He is not going to die this early.  But it does not mean Skagos is a kind place.  He survives because he is wilder than the savages on the island. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My greatest fear with any Rickon storyline is that GRRM might just be playing with us. The wolf's name is Shaggydog. For those who don't know, a shaggy dog story is a deliberately long-winded story with lots of pointless details that goes nowhere. The anticlimax is intentional.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Groo said:

My greatest fear with any Rickon storyline is that GRRM might just be playing with us. The wolf's name is Shaggydog. For those who don't know, a shaggy dog story is a deliberately long-winded story with lots of pointless details that goes nowhere. The anticlimax is intentional.

Possible but also he is saving Rickon for something big in the future.  Like the boy becomes the lord of winterfell just before everything goes dark.  So the drama gets turned up to level 11.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/5/2020 at 2:42 AM, Floki of the Ironborn said:

It's still more exciting than skin changing with the sun and a random spear posing in front of it.

Just imagine how Lord Piper would look skinchanging with his sigil? That's something. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is why I dislike Catelyn Stark. She abandoned her crippled son and Rickon to go south and make Robb look like a child. The woman was deluding herself. Mos? Catelyn defenders go on about her bein a great mother when she destroyed House Stark indirectly. I expect Skagos to be more like a cross between the Thenns and the Mountain Clans than anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...