U.S. Politics: Speak, Shriek, or Squeak! Whatever Technique You Seek in Critique of the Isogeneic Freak.

Jace, Extat

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

A Knicks fan would.......

I don't mean to be a dick, just makes these threads super hard to read on the pooper. Which is where a Knicks fan goes to cry. 

5 minutes ago, Relic said:

I don't mean to be a dick, just makes these threads super hard to read on the pooper. Which is where a Knicks fan goes to cry. 

I appreciate your Knicks. Because they're also awful, but in a bigger market, so nobody buries the Wolves. Our owner is probably worse than yours. But he's also a good man that propped up a lot of stuff here in Minneapolis during the recession, so I always feel bad for trashing him for being an all-time bad sports owners.

Have a good shit. 

Everytime I come into this thread, or turn on the news it takes me back to when stego said the rest of the world was jealous of America or wanted to be like you or some other shite. I just piss myself laughing. 

9 hours ago, mcbigski said:

I get the impression that there are a lot of people in this thread that think that US is irredeemable, with mostly outdated ideals, and not worth preserving.

This doesn't mean that they are revolutionary (more like, disillusioned).

And it's not that the ideals are outdated (I have no idea where you're taking this from).

You know it's funny because even beyond your trolling, sometimes I get the feeling we live in different worlds or realities.

16 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Everytime I come into this thread, or turn on the news it takes me back to when stego said the rest of the world was jealous of America or wanted to be like you or some other shite. I just piss myself laughing. 

McBigski right here wrote the same thing a week or two ago.

At this point it just makes me sad though.

11 hours ago, Fez said:

The US could never neatly split up like any of the ways being suggested, because the current fault lines aren't geographic in the absolute sense. It's not northeast vs. south, it's city versus rural with the suburbs and exurbs caught between. And even that's not entirely true. In basically every state the floor of support for the left or right is at least 35%. So, unless you divide the country in absolute patchwork of enclaves and exclaves, any split based on state lines would result in the greatest displacement and refugee crisis since the Partition of India.

Yeah.  

That said there are areas where the divide between urban and rural isn’t as stark as it is in California or the Northeast.  Several books have been written over the years seeking to divide North America into culturally cohesive “Nations” The Nine Nations of North America by Joel Garreau and more recenty American Nations by Colin Woodard.

While a partition of the US is likely to be an extremely difficult, cultural boundaries rarely coincide with viable political boundaries (particularly in a long lived heterogeneous region like North America). But a division into regions with stronger cultural cohesion is hypothetically possible.

21 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I mean, Boris is only marginally better than Trump.

And we still have our global empire. Your lot lost yours in the way way back times. 

*waves a Bible at BFC*

1 hour ago, Relic said:

The lockdown is driving people insane, recent events drove them to mawr drink.

18 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

You know it's funny because even beyond your trolling, sometimes I get the feeling we live in different worlds or realities.

You really must try to attend a Titancon  (in Belfast, not too far for you) one year when he decides to show up, if not a Worldcon. I hope you know how to drink?

He’s a fairly likable chap, when he’s not being so annoying you want to smack him.

What are the debates going to look like in September/October? I would be surprised if they actually happened. Imagining if they did though - damn, the lies and yelling are going to make Trump look insane. He could barely hold it together four years ago.

Also, +1 on knocking off the asinine inside jokes and bullshit. Go to chat or forum games if that's what you need. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/Yamiche/status/1268178374733725696

Trump now claims he was *inspecting* the bunker for a short time on Friday. Presumably to make sure it was stocked with his favorite snacks.

Also claims he's go down there "two and a half times" total to "inspect".

...two and a half??? What the hell is a half? Did he walk part way down the stairs and yell to check if there were any monsters down there?

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

That said there are areas where the divide between urban and rural isn’t as stark as it is in California or the Northeast.  Several books have been written over the years seeking to divide North America into culturally cohesive “Nations” The Nine Nations of North America by Joel Garreau and more recenty American Nations by Colin Woodard.

While a partition of the US is likely to be an extremely difficult, cultural boundaries rarely coincide with viable political boundaries (particularly in a long lived heterogeneous region like North America). But a division into regions with stronger cultural cohesion is hypothetically possible.

Not yet, but it's getting there. One of the big takeaways from the 2018 midterms was that southern and sunbelt suburbs were starting to act an awful lot like northeastern and western suburbs, and northeastern and midwestern rural areas were getting even closer to resembling southern and great plains ones.

And even the cultural boundaries are getting harder to notice. Does someone living in Atlanta really have more in common with someone living in the Blue Ridge mountains rather than someone in Chicago? Besides sports teams, how much really binds us specifically to those living near us anymore?

4 minutes ago, Fez said:

Not yet, but it's getting there. One of the big takeaways from the 2018 midterms was that southern and sunbelt suburbs were starting to act an awful lot like northeastern and western suburbs, and northeastern and midwestern rural areas were getting even closer to resembling southern and great plains ones.

And even the cultural boundaries are getting harder to notice. Does someone living in Atlanta really have more in common with someone living in the Blue Ridge mountains rather than someone in Chicago? Besides sports teams, how much really binds us specifically to those living near us anymore?

It's interesting.  As the internet and social media make reaching out over long distances an easier prospect it seems that you are correct.  The cultural cohesive regions that have evolved start breaking down.  That could end up making future civil wars more difficult to start, and much bloodier if they do start.  

When we're fight the guy we see walking his dog every afternoon it's harder to get up the nerve to fight.  If we do get up the nerve to actually start fighting I suspect it will be harder to put down the clubs once we've taken them up as well.

Some recent polls out from Change Research (a C- pollster as per 538) show more modest numbers for Biden compared to the average (+7 national, -4 PA, even WI, -1 AZ, and some of the other battlegrounds in the +1to 4 range). It doesnt seem to be a partisan pollster, so maybe their methodology is simply not the best according to the aggregators.

It seems to be LV based, so that is part of a worrying trend for me.

Archived