NFL 2020 Offseason: Are we even doing this any more?

DanteGabriel

2 hours ago, Rhom said:

Fromm had a private conversation with someone he presumably thought was a friend posted publicly.  It was something wrong to say, but can I say that I don't have inappropriate comments among my friends that are part of the banter between us that would look horrible out of context?  No.  Its a hard life lesson to learn when you realize you can't trust your friends to keep personal conversations private.

I won't excuse him for the comment, but on the level of having private conversations shared; I can sympathize.

Alternately: your friends should call you on it when you say that level of bullshit, because if they don't they're part of the problem.

This friend was part of the solution. Good on them. 

9 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Alternately: your friends should call you on it when you say that level of bullshit, because if they don't they're part of the problem.

This friend was part of the solution. Good on them. 

I would hope my friend in that situation would call me on it in the context of our relationship... not by outing me on Twitter to grab some publicity.

If I have a friend that I think is going down a destructive path, I might pull them aside and say "I'm worried about you."  I wouldn't go on social media and post details.

1 minute ago, Rhom said:

I would hope my friend in that situation would call me on it in the context of our relationship... not by outing me on Twitter to grab some publicity.

If I have a friend that I think is going down a destructive path, I might pull them aside and say "I'm worried about you."  I wouldn't go on social media and post details.

We honestly don't know what they did outside of this leak (though also: be cautious about it being a friend leaking, there are a lot of ways to hack people's accounts by media, and they're doing it often), but I'm not sure how the friend in this case actually gained anything. 

Fromm's an asshole. 

On 6/4/2020 at 3:30 PM, Wilbur said:

And I agree with Tywin et al - Young playing in the NFL of today would have been a monster, much like Randall Cunningham or Warren Moon.  I think that they would perform similarly to Deshawn Watson, Lamar Jackson or Patrick Mahomes.  

I'd chill on some of those comparisons

Moon was like Watson.

Cunningham, hard to say.

Jackson is unique, because he's like Vick, but he is also very different.

And Mahomes is the god of football right now. He has no equal. Frankly he might be the best we've ever seen.   

5 hours ago, Rhom said:

Fromm had a private conversation with someone he presumably thought was a friend posted publicly.  It was something wrong to say, but can I say that I don't have inappropriate comments among my friends that are part of the banter between us that would look horrible out of context?  No.  Its a hard life lesson to learn when you realize you can't trust your friends to keep personal conversations private.

I won't excuse him for the comment, but on the level of having private conversations shared; I can sympathize.

Oh, I'll have one publicly.

Those phat ass volleyball playing girls you're raising, they're going to give you nightmares. And I'll have fun saying that every time...

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Oh, I'll have one publicly.

Those phat ass volleyball playing girls you're raising, they're going to give you nightmares. And I'll have fun saying that every time...

Got a one of those... my step daughter is a 16 year old volleyball player, and she does give me nightmares. :lol: 

Obviously I don't know Brees so I don't know whats in his heart so I tend to give a pass until its time not to. I think he is just so out of touch and only knows his reality, lacks empathy. His story about his love for his grandfathers and their commitment and their love of the flag was built into his character from childhood and something like that sticks with you.

Now, if I was a teammate(and of color) I would have told a tale of my grandparent also fighting in WW2, but when he came home after his heroics he still had to use a different drinking fountain, sit in the back of the bus, deal with the KKK in the south etc... maybe let Brees understand that even though people of color did the same as his grandfathers they came home to a very different America and thats why Kaep was trying to draw attention to it. 

32 minutes ago, Triskele said:

It's kind of crazy to me how different the NBA and NFL are on this.

MLB and the NHL are not exactly bastions of enlightenment either, so the NBA is the outlier. You can see it just in the racial makeup of coaching ranks.

14 hours ago, dbunting said:

Obviously I don't know Brees so I don't know whats in his heart so I tend to give a pass until its time not to. I think he is just so out of touch and only knows his reality, lacks empathy. His story about his love for his grandfathers and their commitment and their love of the flag was built into his character from childhood and something like that sticks with you.

Now, if I was a teammate(and of color) I would have told a tale of my grandparent also fighting in WW2, but when he came home after his heroics he still had to use a different drinking fountain, sit in the back of the bus, deal with the KKK in the south etc... maybe let Brees understand that even though people of color did the same as his grandfathers they came home to a very different America and thats why Kaep was trying to draw attention to it. 

I think Brees is genuine and out of anyone out there, I believe he actually listened. He does a lot of good in his community and I can't imagine him ignoring what his teammates were saying to him. If it was a lot of others, wouldn't believe it but Brees does seem like a pretty good dude.

On 6/5/2020 at 9:17 PM, DanteGabriel said:

Coming from Goodell, this is worth a fart in the wind, but it's something.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/06/05/sport/roger-goodell-responds-nfl-stronger-together-video/index.html

‘Should have listened to’ is nice. Not ‘organized to make an example of the player we still won’t mention by name and end his career’ would have been nicer. Actually using the word ‘police’ would also have been swell. 

Here’s a good piece responding:

7 hours ago, Triskele said:

It's kind of crazy to me how different the NBA and NFL are on this.

Football is VERY authoritarian/know your place/hammer down the nail that sticks out to a degree other sports can’t come close to matching. 

On 6/5/2020 at 2:37 PM, Rhom said:

I don't know nor care about the details of Fromm's comments, but I emphatically agree with this.  Kal's acting like publicizing a friend's politically incorrect statements make that friend a hero or noble in any way is fucking idiocy.  And reminds me to never be Kal's friend.

49 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Anyone else think Brees will be getting sacked a lot this year? His protection may be lax, and the opposition determined, to say the least. 

I doubt his linemen would screw up their assignments on purpose, and people coming after him should already have plenty of motivation. Maybe an extra demonstrative sack dance or two, at most? Brees is well respected in the league and I bet by the time we get to games, most of this will have blown over for him.

Fromm, on the other hand, may get pummeled in preseason action.

8 hours ago, DMC said:

I don't know nor care about the details of Fromm's comments, but I emphatically agree with this.  Kal's acting like publicizing a friend's politically incorrect statements make that friend a hero or noble in any way is fucking idiocy.  And reminds me to never be Kal's friend.

:bawl:

I think this is apples and oranges. Brees said something that would have been celebrated like just a few years ago. Once his teammates checked him, he deeply apologized. Drew is the king of NO, and has done a lot to earn the benefit of the doubt. Fromm, OTOH, revealed truly hateful feels and has earned no credibility in the league or with his team. That dude is fucked. 

Archived