NFL 2020 Offseason: Are we even doing this any more?

DanteGabriel

The big obstacle Brees faces is the fact that he seemed fervent and sincere in his initial comment, AND he chose to go there; the question was about kneeling in protest of police brutality and he chose to make it about the troops, and failed to even mention the police.

As I said, he’s just toeing the established company line of bullshit deflection, but his teammates will have seen him choosing to do that, to deflect, and they will have seen how adamant he was. Not sure he ever gets those teammates back on his side. The standard rule of play in pro sports re: credibility is that apologies for comments are spin control and the person’s true thoughts are reflected in whatever they’re apologizing for saying.

6 hours ago, Triskele said:

As to Kal, he has looked into the Inverse Fire of Social Justice, and all efforts must be turned towards the cause lest he lose his soul.  A concept like privacy is quaint in the face of such stakes.

Heh.  Are you writing a treatment or something?

Expected this was coming, Delvin Cook is holding out. I don't blame him. He's our best offensive player and since was not a first rounder, his contract was never that generous relative to his value. And considering what Cousins gets paid to at times be a liability, asking for 3 years, $30 is not unreasonable.

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Expected this was coming, Delvin Cook is holding out. I don't blame him. He's our best offensive player and since was not a first rounder, his contract was never that generous relative to his value. And considering what Cousins gets paid to at times be a liability, asking for 3 years, $30 is not unreasonable.

There was some rumors a while back Joe Mixon was thinking about it as well. Pretty much same situation, too. He’s grossly underpaid due to going in the 2nd round (although he has only himself to blame for that), and he’s our best offensive player (unless AJ Green returns to form after missing a season + from injuries), but last I heard they were getting close on an extension. I hope so  

Also, the man’s name is Dalvin... :P

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, KingintheNorth4 said:

Now would be a good time for the Washington NFL Franchise to change their team name.

40 years ago would have been a good time to change the name.

10 hours ago, Maithanet said:

40 years ago would have been a good time to change the name.

Now would be a convenient time...? But with that fella sitting in the Oval office it might stir up twitter.

7 hours ago, Rhom said:

Put a logo on your twitter handle and anyone will believe you...

WTF?  I’m guessing that Twitter account got pulled... but I’m not sure why there’s a YouTube link there instead... :dunno: 

So, given all we're seeing, do people really think we're getting an NFL season this year?  I'm finding it harder and harder to believe.  The other leagues are at least making some efforts to reduce the risks of COVID, but I have seen virtually nothing from the NFL, other than making testing available.  

I mean, what is the NFL going to do if 20 members of the Cardinals come down with COVID right before game day, and most of the rest need to quarantine?  Do they just forfeit, or pull in a bunch of chumps off the street and get absolutely demolished*?  Because that scenario is DEFINITELY going to happen. 

* what would the point spread of a game like that be, if we assume that one team had half their roster in quarantine and had signed a bunch of fill-ins?  40 points doesn't sound like enough to me.  

12 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

So, given all we're seeing, do people really think we're getting an NFL season this year?  I'm finding it harder and harder to believe.  The other leagues are at least making some efforts to reduce the risks of COVID, but I have seen virtually nothing from the NFL, other than making testing available.  

I mean, what is the NFL going to do if 20 members of the Cardinals come down with COVID right before game day, and most of the rest need to quarantine?  Do they just forfeit, or pull in a bunch of chumps off the street and get absolutely demolished*?  Because that scenario is DEFINITELY going to happen. 

* what would the point spread of a game like that be, if we assume that one team had half their roster in quarantine and had signed a bunch of fill-ins?  40 points doesn't sound like enough to me.  

They're going to play. What you just described is a problem for Vegas, not the league. And at the end of the day these owners expect some form of loss mitigation for their billion dollar hobbies. They're gonna play. Enough of the players are young men without caution or Trump-guzzlers that they want to play already. 

Who is going to stop them? You think the 49ers are gonna not have a campaign if the CA governor says no sports or will they spend the season in St. Louis which will be happy to host them, with a full crowd no less? Cause I'll sure as shit tell you something, the Feds ain't stopping nobody. 

The best chance no football season is Trump obviously and odiously having the NFL shut down 3 weeks into the season as a reaction to anthem kneeling.

I'm not sure if there's ever been an athlete more mistreated in the modern times than Cam Newton.

Maybe Dwight Howard? 

Sad part is both dudes just wanted people to like them. Dwight, he may have tried a bit too hard. But damn, Cam got called the n-word for doing this horrible thing of giving kids footballs in stands after he scored. During a season in which he won the MVP and carried his very average ass team to the Owl.

What a monster. Giving footballs to little kids after he scored and telling his teammates to do the same when they did, not like any of them scored anyways. 

So with Newton, the Pats have a fighting chance at the AFC East.  The Pats still have obvious deficits at many other positions and the Pats are going to have to change how they do things now with Brady gone but another QB's skill-set.  I think/hope that the McDaniels and Belichick can quickly adapt to Newton and what he can do.  

And in other news, the Pats were punished for being the Patriots.  Because, you know, they have to be.  For reasons.  LOss of a 2021 3rd round pick, 1.1 million, no video taping for 2020 and a guy who works for the Pats is banned forever.  Or as everyone else in the world will say "a slap on the wrist."  Because people are dumb.  

I don;t come on these boards much due to the world sucking out loud, no new books coming likely ever and my general business.  Regardless, the fact that the Pats may suck this season so I come here to give you all a whack at this loud-mouthed pinata.  

Enjoy.  

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Assuming he's health, you might get something great out of him. The Panthers failed him so much.

Agreed, but he was also relatively beat up.  Played 14 games in 2018 and only 2 games in 2019.  I think there is a health issue.

But, that may enable him to play the "NobodyBelievedInMe" card and do it for the franchised that pioneered that thought process.  

I would love the up-side of getting Cam a title.  You know?  For purely altruistic reasons.  

Archived