NFL 2020 Offseason: Are we even doing this any more?

DanteGabriel

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Assuming he's health, you might get something great out of him. The Panthers failed him so much.

Healthy Cam was amazing, and as someone who lives in Charlotte I'd always roll my eyes at a lot of the criticisms of him.  As a Browns fan, I can't imagine having a QB as good as Cam Newton was here and constantly looking for reasons to hate him.  

Main question is if he'll ever be healthy enough again to be that guy.  I have my doubts, but not ready to write him off just yet.  

Cam was playing well before he got hurt, and it's clear the Panthers mismanaged his recovery. He should either be fine, or we'll know he's washed. But I'm sure ol' William will figure out a way to get the most out of him, assuming there's still gas in the tank. 

Assuming football even happens. 

19 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Cam was playing well before he got hurt, and it's clear the Panthers mismanaged his recovery. He should either be fine, or we'll know he's washed. But I'm sure ol' William will figure out a way to get the most out of him, assuming there's still gas in the tank. 

Assuming football even happens. 

If I had some macaroni, I could make macaroni and cheese, if I had some cheese. 

ESPN is reporting that FedEx has formally requested that the Redskins change their name.  Considering they are the title sponsor of the field they play on, that carries some weight.

2 hours ago, Rhom said:

ESPN is reporting that FedEx has formally requested that the Redskins change their name.  Considering they are the title sponsor of the field they play on, that carries some weight.

Good.

Damn, this is the part of one of ESPN's articles that leaps out to me:

FedEx, Nike and PepsiCo each received letters signed by 87 investment firms and shareholders worth a combined $620 billion asking the companies to sever ties with the team unless it changes its controversial name, Adweek reported Wednesday.

On Thursday night, Nike appeared to remove all Redskins gear from its online store. The other 31 NFL teams were listed and a search for "Redskins'' came up with no results. Nike did not immediately respond to an email message seeking comment.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29401445/stadium-sponsor-fedex-asks-redskins-change-nickname

So over half a trillion in corporate and private interests are now demanding they change the name? That's the kind of number any sane person sees and listens to Marcellus Wallace. Don't let pride fuck with you. 

Nike discontinuing the sale of team merchandise, if accurate, is kind of the death blow.

The Washington Swamp Things?    Washington Bullets..oh wait.   Maybe change it every 4 years to either a donkey or an elephant? Or weekly based on which big business donated the most to a campaign fund or to stop a good law from being passed?

That didn't take long.  Washington announces a formal review of the team name (WaPo, limited clicks).

The Washington [Scumbags] said Friday they were beginning a thorough review of the team’s controversial nickname, a stunning step that came just one day after a prominent corporate sponsor called for a change and after years of refusing to consider such a move.

The team offered few details of what the review will entail, but in a statement it said the review “formalizes the initial discussions the team has been having with the league in recent weeks.”

“This process allows the team to take into account not only the proud tradition and history of the franchise but also input from our alumni, the organization, sponsors, the National Football League and the local community it is proud to represent on and off the field,” team owner Daniel Snyder said in the statement.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell expressed the league’s support for the team’s review.

8 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I assume there have been surveys in the past about preferred name 'if' they changed? What are they likely to be? 

I have heard Washington Redhawks and Washington Warriors.  Whatever it is, it will be something that allows minimal changes to the fight song and team colors.    

10 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Washington Redhawks

This sounds fine, to me.  I think they should avoid some nonsense like St. Johns went for with "Red Storm."

Actually, on twitter one of the names going around is the Washington Redtails, a reference to the Tuskeegee Airmen who had red tails on their wings in WW2.  This matches up with Coach Rivera's odd statement released by the team today:

“This issue is of personal importance to me and I look forward to working closely with Daniel Snyder to make sure we continue the mission of honoring and supporting Native Americans and our Military.”

The name controversy has absolutely nothing to do with the US military.  Unless the new name invokes it in some way.  

2 hours ago, Maithanet said:

That didn't take long.  Washington announces a formal review of the team name (WaPo, limited clicks).

I have heard Washington Redhawks and Washington Warriors.  Whatever it is, it will be something that allows minimal changes to the fight song and team colors.    

I assume Snyder will want to redesign the uniform (even if the colors stay similar/same) to maximize retail sales. 

21 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I assume there have been surveys in the past about preferred name 'if' they changed? What are they likely to be? 

Here's part of the problem, the most obvious names are names that they could never accept. 

Maybe they could be retro and reclaim the name Washington Bullets? 

I understand why not, but the Wizards is such a lame name. I'd rock a Bullets kit in a minute. 

10 hours ago, unJon said:

I assume Snyder will want to redesign the uniform (even if the colors stay similar/same) to maximize retail sales. 

They will somehow make the name even worse by combining these two ideas (Red Hawks and Warriors) to come up with the Washington Red Warriors!

12 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Here's part of the problem, the most obvious names are names that they could never accept. 

Maybe they could be retro and reclaim the name Washington Bullets? 

I understand why not, but the Wizards is such a lame name. I'd rock a Bullets kit in a minute. 

They could go the whole hog (ha!) and be the Baltimore Bullets!  Always go full retro!  I foresee no problems with this plan.

Archived