NFL 2020 Offseason: Are we even doing this any more?

DanteGabriel

28 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

I’m not going to knock the Seahawks recent draft history too much. Metcalf is one of the best picks of the last couple years, imo. 

It's not their overall history so much as it seems like they always use their first on some random guy that could have been had a round later.

2 minutes ago, briantw said:

It's not their overall history so much as it seems like they always use their first on some random guy that could have been had a round later.

I’m pretty sure just this year most had a 2nd round grade on Jordyn Brooks. I know the Bengals were interested in him. 

21 minutes ago, briantw said:

Flip side is they got a QB in third who might be the second best QB in football now, and he was taken well after the biggest lock in the modern game and is only bettered by possibly the most talented player ever. The Seahawks did well there.

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Flip side is they got a QB in third who might be the second best QB in football now, and he was taken well after the biggest lock in the modern game and is only bettered by possibly the most talented player ever. The Seahawks did well there.

You speak the truth now. But against the power that has risen in the North, there can be no victory. Even Russel Wilson will be struck dumb by the magnitude of Lamarr Jackson's continued ascendance. Men will be filled with envy and rage for witnessing nature declare against their preferred team drive after drive. Women will tear at their hair in unconscious dissatisfaction with their mortal partner. Children will weep great tears of blood and salt, knowing their parents will never love them like a football field loves Lamarr Jackson.

Motherfucker is younger than Joe Burrow.

1 hour ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

You speak the truth now. But against the power that has risen in the North, there can be no victory. Even Russel Wilson will be struck dumb by the magnitude of Lamarr Jackson's continued ascendance. Men will be filled with envy and rage for witnessing nature declare against their preferred team drive after drive. Women will tear at their hair in unconscious dissatisfaction with their mortal partner. Children will weep great tears of blood and salt, knowing their parents will never love them like a football field loves Lamarr Jackson.

Jackson likely can't replicate what he did year over year.When has over-running an atheltic QB with limited arm talent gone well? You tend to get one shot with that....

18 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Jackson likely can't replicate what he did year over year.When has over-running an atheltic QB with limited arm talent gone well? You tend to get one shot with that....

When has an over-running athletic QB with limited arm talent led the league in every relevant passing statistic, winning MVP in his 2nd year. 

I'm talking about Lamarr Jackson, not Taysom Hill.

20 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

When has an over-running athletic QB with limited arm talent led the league in every relevant passing statistic, winning MVP in his 2nd year. 

I'm talking about Lamarr Jackson, not Taysom Hill.

He led in TDs and QBR, not every relevant stat. And he ran an incredibly simple offense. Teams could catch up to it. Just contain the pocket and cover the middle of the field. Force him to throw outside the numbers in the pocket. He still has yet to show he can do that. Run zone quarters with your CB's, play a single high safety, a cluster the shit out of things between the numbers. If Jackson can beat it, live with it, but he has yet to show that he can in high pressure situations. 

2 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Jet skis must be his kryptonite...

14 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

He led in TDs and QBR, not every relevant stat. And he ran an incredibly simple offense. Teams could catch up to it. Just contain the pocket and cover the middle of the field. Force him to throw outside the numbers in the pocket. He still has yet to show he can do that. Run zone quarters with your CB's, play a single high safety, a cluster the shit out of things between the numbers. If Jackson can beat it, live with it, but he has yet to show that he can in high pressure situations. 

One game???? ONE GAME!?! Against a team that had just gone into Foxboro and beat the piss out of the Patriots? Peyton Manning ran the same 12 plays for his entire fucking career. He threw 55 TD's unable to throw an out-route to anyone but Emmanuel Sanders (because of the big cushion he was afforded) and Wes Welker from the slot.

People who cite the two playoff letdowns, which were only reached because Lamarr Jackson got the team there, as some kind of definitive proof against him don't know what they're talking about. He played poorly for almost the entirety of the Chargers game in 2018 playoffs before having the ball with a chance to tie with a minute left. Not exactly garbage time or the 41-0 demaning Peyton got after he was already 0-2 in the playoffs. Hist interception against Tennnesse was 100% on the receiver (to be fair he took a big hit, but that's what TE's are for) and something about fifty-nine passing attempts tells me the gameplan was torpedoed pretty early on. And you know what? I was encouraged greatly by Lamarr's passing performance. The defense was fucking incredible for the Titans that night, as they were in Foxboro, and he couldn't make much progress. But he kept trying to push the ball down the field, looking for scores even as the game started to get further out of hand. This is encouraging. I don't want checkdowns and five-yard outs that take 9 plays to punt from midfield, I don't want a QB who shrinks from poor performance in a given game. I don't want a QB who is risk averse when his team needs big plays. He's got IT. The instinct, the desire to win. Not just have a completion percentage above 65% or keep his turnovers down, he wants to fucking win and you can see it when his team needs a big play even if he doesn't manage to deliver it. Andrew Luck would be the most apt comparison in this regard, deciding pre-snap that they were either going to score and shrink the deficit or he'd turn the ball over and who cares 'cause they're down a lot anyway. But the big difference is that Lamarr doesn't throw interceptions. His pocket accuracy is fine. Not elite, but serviceable. The kind of thing that can improve for a rookie two year veteran younger than the #1 overall pick. He throws a gorgeous deep ball from any position. And I don't know where you get that he's incapable of throwing outside the numbers. I can pull up fifteen highlights from 2019 alone where he does so. I watched every Ravens game. Some of them twice. I wouldn't call it a strength to his game, but it's not some horrific weakness you're describing. Maybe they don't run a lot of those kinds of routes because their receivers are munchkins who run real fast in a straight line and the offense is more designed around opening TE's in the middle of the field. Just maybe.

Not everyone can win the superbowl every year. To expect such is borderline imbecilic.

Workshop your takes kid.

59 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

One game???? ONE GAME!?! Against a team that had just gone into Foxboro and beat the piss out of the Patriots? Peyton Manning ran the same 12 plays for his entire fucking career. He threw 55 TD's unable to throw an out-route to anyone but Emmanuel Sanders (because of the big cushion he was afforded) and Wes Welker from the slot.

People who cite the two playoff letdowns, which were only reached because Lamarr Jackson got the team there, as some kind of definitive proof against him don't know what they're talking about. He played poorly for almost the entirety of the Chargers game in 2018 playoffs before having the ball with a chance to tie with a minute left. Not exactly garbage time or the 41-0 demaning Peyton got after he was already 0-2 in the playoffs. Hist interception against Tennnesse was 100% on the receiver (to be fair he took a big hit, but that's what TE's are for) and something about fifty-nine passing attempts tells me the gameplan was torpedoed pretty early on. And you know what? I was encouraged greatly by Lamarr's passing performance. The defense was fucking incredible for the Titans that night, as they were in Foxboro, and he couldn't make much progress. But he kept trying to push the ball down the field, looking for scores even as the game started to get further out of hand. This is encouraging. I don't want checkdowns and five-yard outs that take 9 plays to punt from midfield, I don't want a QB who shrinks from poor performance in a given game. I don't want a QB who is risk averse when his team needs big plays. He's got IT. The instinct, the desire to win. Not just have a completion percentage above 65% or keep his turnovers down, he wants to fucking win and you can see it when his team needs a big play even if he doesn't manage to deliver it. Andrew Luck would be the most apt comparison in this regard, deciding pre-snap that they were either going to score and shrink the deficit or he'd turn the ball over and who cares 'cause they're down a lot anyway. But the big difference is that Lamarr doesn't throw interceptions. His pocket accuracy is fine. Not elite, but serviceable. The kind of thing that can improve for a rookie two year veteran younger than the #1 overall pick. He throws a gorgeous deep ball from any position. And I don't know where you get that he's incapable of throwing outside the numbers. I can pull up fifteen highlights from 2019 alone where he does so. I watched every Ravens game. Some of them twice. I wouldn't call it a strength to his game, but it's not some horrific weakness you're describing. Maybe they don't run a lot of those kinds of routes because their receivers are munchkins who run real fast in a straight line and the offense is more designed around opening TE's in the middle of the field. Just maybe.

Not everyone can win the superbowl every year. To expect such is borderline imbecilic.

Workshop your takes kid.

One game? Just stop. He didn't complete a pass for two fucking hours. 

Jackson still has significant passing limitations. If you set the edge, spy, and crowd the middle, he shrinks. He can figure that out, he's still really young and has a skill set innovative minds should drool over, but please don't pretend that he's not still extremely raw, and any good defense can exploit his deficiencies. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

One game? Just stop. He didn't complete a pass for two fucking hours. 

You just made that up.

You're talking about the passing TD leader of the league. No, let me put that into a bit more perspective for you. 25 players threw more passes last year than Lamar. Sam Darnold, the guy at #25? He threw the ball 40 more times than Jackson despite playing in 2 fewer games on account of having teenybopper typhus. (Jackson sat week 17 because he fucked the rest of the league like his own personal tube sock) Darnold, to use a player who has no draft relation to Jackson, threw more than twice as many interceptions on the season and a little over half as many TD's.

Whenever Jackson's arm moved forward and released a football last season there was a 9% chance that the Ravens scored on that play. To say nothing of rushing capabilities. Your position is indefensible, pick a better one.

45 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

You just made that up.

You're talking about the passing TD leader of the league. No, let me put that into a bit more perspective for you. 25 players threw more passes last year than Lamar. Sam Darnold, the guy at #25? He threw the ball 40 more times than Jackson despite playing in 2 fewer games on account of having teenybopper typhus. (Jackson sat week 17 because he fucked the rest of the league like his own personal tube sock) Darnold, to use a player who has no draft relation to Jackson, threw more than twice as many interceptions on the season and a little over half as many TD's.

Whenever Jackson's arm moved forward and released a football last season there was a 9% chance that the Ravens scored on that play. To say nothing of rushing capabilities. Your position is indefensible, pick a better one.

Let me get back tot you tomorrow. The medication I have to take fucks me up and makes me pass out.

12 days. This shit is like eating shrooms all day, every day. It stopped being fun a month ago. 

8 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

You just made that up.

That's a touchdown rate that is absolutely going to regress to the mean this year.  It's unsustainable.  I believe Peyton Manning is the only player who has had back to back seasons with an elite TD rate.  

51 minutes ago, briantw said:

That's a touchdown rate that is absolutely going to regress to the mean this year.  It's unsustainable.  I believe Peyton Manning is the only player who has had back to back seasons with an elite TD rate.  

Okaaaay. And? It could drop by 33 percent and he'd be tied with the next highest rate from last year (among QBs who played a full or nearly full season). 

You know, he also might keep getting better too. When a motherfucker watches 3.5 slappies get taken ahead of him, languishes behind Joe Flacco for 8 games, then 18 months later is the MVP of the league I tend to think that they might have further to climb. 

But I guess it looks cooler to reference future injuries and expected statistical regression than to, like, actually watch the games he played and form an independent opinion.

It's very interesting to me that Ryan Tannehill is expected to be a top 10 QB on the back of a half season, no regression expected there, and Lamar just hasn't quite done enough to warrant faith in some people's minds. Interesting how that works, I'm sure it's because of the 8 years worth of tape Tannehill has to back up his 8 games from last year.

51 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

It's very interesting to me that Ryan Tannehill is expected to be a top 10 QB on the back of a half season, no regression expected there, and Lamar just hasn't quite done enough to warrant faith in some people's minds. Interesting how that works, I'm sure it's because of the 8 years worth of tape Tannehill has to back up his 8 games from last year.

Now that is funny. I'd take Lamar's left leg over the full body of Tannehill. 

2 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

I think everyone is expecting the entire Titans offense to regress. That's all I've heard all off-season from all the podcasts I listen to relating to fantasy football. They had entirely unsustainable red zone efficiency last year.  It's unlikely that Henry scores 18 touchdowns again either. 

7 minutes ago, briantw said:

I think everyone is expecting the entire Titans offense to regress. That's all I've heard all off-season from all the podcasts I listen to relating to fantasy football. They had entirely unsustainable red zone efficiency last year.  It's unlikely that Henry scores 18 touchdowns again either. 

I don't expect the Titans to make the playoffs this year.

Assuming that there are a playoffs this year, which I also don't expect.  So it's doubly unlikely that Tennessee makes it.  

Archived