NFL 2020 Offseason: Are we even doing this any more?

DanteGabriel

I think that a lot of players/agents are looking at what is happening in the MLB, seeing the minimal effort by the NFL to keep people safe, and concluding that the season isn't going to happen anyway.  Thus the argument of "you're letting your team down" is total bullshit, nobody is winning a championship this year. 

If you're desperate for a couple of game checks, you can go to camp and hope that you can get a bit of money before it's all shut down (and that you aren't one of the unlucky ones who catches COVID).  But I think a lot of guys don't need money that badly, and we aren't talking about a full year's salary anyway, just a fraction of that.  

3 hours ago, Triskele said:

I am still having such a hard time seeing the season succeed that I just tune out NFL news these days when normally at this time of year I'd be salivating.

That said, I had the same fatalistic attitude about MLB, and it feels like it's gone a bit better than I'd have predicted.  

I've said in the FF threads over and over that we have to prepare for a failed season. 

11 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

I'm still pretty sceptical on there being a full season accomplished.

But all they have to do is get to November, right?!!?

1 hour ago, the Greenleif Stark said:

77 false-positive Covid tests from the great testing labs here in NJ

I don't want to turn the NFL thread into a quasi political COVID discussion... but its stuff like this that makes it hard for a lot of the general population to trust anything surrounding the virus.

The virus is new.  I am willing to forgive an awful lot in the understanding of the treatment and knowledge of the virus itself.  What bothers me is how badly we've bungled the math around it.  Statistics are not new and there's no excuse for how badly we've handled the math.

Yea not my intention to get political on this thread, just saw that this morning and thought it was pretty crazy..........onto things relating to the Giants: 1. Back during the 2019 draft I was a big hater of the Daniel Jones pick but I'm here now to repent. Although I'll need to see this season and next to fully assess the pick, he's way better than I ever imagined and I like his potential. 2. Excited about Joe Judge and the new staff, can't wait for the season to start.

18 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I've said in the FF threads over and over that we have to prepare for a failed season. 

I think we should start taking bets on which week the season gets cancelled.  Even if COVID ravages just one team, how can you expect to have a season.  My guess is by week 5.

29 minutes ago, aceluby said:

I think we should start taking bets on which week the season gets cancelled.  Even if COVID ravages just one team, how can you expect to have a season.  My guess is by week 5.

I think that in the regular season, one team having to cancel a couple of games would be only a moderately sized problem.  The NFL can and will adopt changes to make playoff spots dependent on win % rather than number of wins, it wouldn't be crippling.

In the playoffs though, it would be a disaster, since the options are to either forfeit, have the team sign a bunch of guys off the street and get crushed, or delay the postseason for weeks while that team recovers.  My suspicion is they'll go with option #2, and it will be ugly. 

I increasingly think that the NFL will have a season, but it will drift into a farce, as more and more teams are eliminated not by play on the field but by bad luck with the virus.  Any champion this year will have a huge asterisk next to it. 

5 hours ago, aceluby said:

I think week five would be a better guess for the college game. I have no idea how they're going to make that work, especially when the players start mingling with the entire student body. 

I think they can survive a team going down for a few weeks if they can't safely field a team, but greed is good in the NFL and they're going to do everything in their power to get to the Owl. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a season reduced to like 10-12 games with league wide suspension of play at points of an outbreak (or outbreaks). Once they get to the playoffs it will be a lot easier to make this work.

Archived