NFL 2020 Offseason: Are we even doing this any more?

DanteGabriel

44 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Not really. Rodgers took a few 30-40 yard shots, but almost everything was slants and out routes. He barely pushed the ball past the first down marker.

He was at 8.4 yards per pass, which isn't bad at all? If he maintained that all season he'd have been in the top 3 last season.

4 minutes ago, Lord Dracarys said:

He was at 8.4 yards per pass, which isn't bad at all? If he maintained that all season he'd have been in the top 3 last season.

Check the average distance the ball traveled through the air. He mainly threw short passes relying on the receiver to pick up YAC. He took a few longer shots, but most of his work was just dink and dunk. At one point he had 9 receptions for like 60 yards. It was all just short junk.

This was the first day I regretted dropping our cable subscription.  The local broadcast here would typically be the Jets and Giants, which don’t seem worth watching, but the Eagles game was shown today.  And I expect there would have been a late game shown too.  And there’s the Sunday night game and the Monday night game.  I like watching NFL in the background while I exercise or just hang out and be lazy.  I’ll have to think again if it’s worth getting cable just for a few months or subscribe to Slingbox for a while.

The Bears pulled off the most improbable of comebacks.  Nice that Mitch made some TD throws in the 4th, but the first three quarters did nothing to reassure anyone.  At least the run game was solid.  I don’t know what to read into this result.  The Lions are poor and the Bears beat them comfortably twice last year but only won today because a winning TD pass was dropped in the final seconds.  Defense was no great shakes either today.  We have an easy schedule for the first few games — the team needs to build up some momentum before the tougher opponents show up.

The Seahawks picked up where they left off: trusting Wilson to make throws and lead the offense.  Usually they start with a lot of runs called, but they’re leaning more on passes now.  Even Carson seemed more comfortable with passes than runs.  Metcalf is frustrating with his drops, but that kind of speed will produce TDs.  Only problem is the pass protection needs to be a lot better.

2 hours ago, Triskele said:

New theory:  Green Bay was never going to move on from Rodgers and just wanted him a bit angrier.

Well, there was that one league where picking 8th or so I took Adams over Thomas, and then grabbed AAron later on.  worked well enough so far.  (Had Thomas elsewhere but not Adams, so made it easier to buy into Angry Rodgers narrative there.)

1 hour ago, Triskele said:

Funny moment today speaking of Seattle where they asked Adams what it was like with a offense and he kind of chuckled and said not used to that.

He was pretty great today himself.  The Legion Of Boom May be gone but he and Wagner were making tackles everywhere today.

I enjoyed watching the Seattle game today more than I thought I would.  All the shit going on has my anxiety up and I haven't really been able to enjoy watching sports.  I'm glad I turned it on because it was pretty great.  They need the cardboard fans, though.

So, full disclosure- I forgot this was still a thing.  Totally not on my radar.  I think the NFL is sort of ... there ... but I can't really get into it given everything else going on - COVID, Trump, Covid and Trump, the West Coast of the US on fire, Brady being on another team. Also, Game of Thrones, the Show, ended over a year ago, it sucked balls, and by all indications we will get the next book right around the time Mitch McConnell commits an honest political act.  So, posting about the NFL on a  GoT web page just seemed absurd. 

Then I remembered it was 2020 and absurd was the standard.  

So, the season started where it left off- with the Chiefs kicking ass and Billy O'Brian looking like a tool bag.   DeShaun Watson seemed less-than-stellar which may happen when you trade your #1 WR for the loose change I find in my junk-drawer.  Meanwhile, The Cardinals were, somehow, able to feed that same #1 WR 150 yards in the air and beat the Defending NFC Champs.  So... yeah... that all happened.  

I thought the biggest take-away from Week 1 was that the entire league played in completely empty stadiums which was a huge change for them... Well, except the Bengals who have been used to it these last 4 seasons.  Bengals lost, btw.  

Okay, so I am still a Pats fan and the Pats got Cam Newton who, because of, I don't know, lets just say 'racism' so I get my Virtue Signal in for today, was still available as of, like, April, as QB because every other team in the NFL is dumb.  Rock-solid Dumb.  So the Pats got a former League MVP as their starting QB.  Oh yeah, that seems totally fair.  Meanwhile the Bengals started, I think the guy who sells peanuts in Section 310.  Anyway, the PAts are a run-first offense now, which is better than what they were last season which was a "Can Brady complete a pass to a stick-figure?"  And somehow they still won the AFC East.  Regardless, the Pats D is missing its 2nd-best player, their best WR is so short he can be measured in apples, and they somehow won handily against the Dolphins.  Because fuck the Dolphins.  Newton looked terrific because the Pats have adjusted the offense around him which, I don't know, may have been something some of the other teams in the NFL may have wanted to try.  

Or not.  Instead, just keep watching Philip Rivers try.  

Okay, speaking of half dead things, Tom Brady looked like Peyton Manning yesterday.  Holy Shit.  <250 yards passing, 2 picks, and just no connection with any WR, with nobody getting over 80 yards.  Oh, and there is some skinny guy wearing the hollowed-out husk of Rob Gronkowski on the field.  Look, when you, as a franchise, deep-six the last QB (Winston) because he fumbles and throws too many INTS- you know how you do not want to start the next season?  Having the new QB throw 2 picks and fumble.  Seems like a bad look.  

Ravens are right on track to lose the AFC Championship game.  Going to be great.  BTW, Baker Mayfield's passer Rating was ~ 1/3 that of Lamar Jackson's.  Makes me feel great about taking a flier on Odell Beckham Jr in my fantasy league.  Mayfield is awful.  If he sucked any worse, 3 NFL teams would try to sign him over Cam Newton. 

I can't believe Mitchel Trubisky had three TDs and 0 picks either.  He looked down-right competent.   

Rams beat the Cowboys; the Washington Football Trolls won; the Packers' old guy won't go quietly into that good night, and I forgot the Seawhoawks still mattered.  It was a quite a week.  

Now, don't get me wrong, I think the Pats fall back to Earth hard next week having to play a competent Seahawks team (still coached by Pete Carroll, but stay with me here).  And I do not think the Pats can bottle up Wilson and I think historically the Seahawks play good D and Newton may not be able to get away from them.  

Regardless, it was nice remembering that Football was still around at least for a week before 60% of their players come down with COVID and the season stops.  

Count me as another one who barely remembered that the season was starting up (and, based on their performance, it sorta feels like the Jets did too). But, looking back at the highlights, I'm happier that the Bucs lost than I am that the Pats won. So I guess I'm more anti-Brady than I ever was anti-Pats (though maybe that'll change if the Pats are still dominant this year). Which sorta makes sense. Pre-Brady, the Pats weren't even on my radar; the Dolphins were the division rival that I couldn't stand. And while Belicheck was just as much, maybe more, the reason for Pats success as Brady; I never hated him the same way. Not sure why really.

13 minutes ago, Triskele said:

Baker looked like shit, and it's hard not to conclude that was a terrible #1 pick choice.

I thought Burreaux looked pretty good yesterday.  Not crazy numbers, and he had one terrible miss downfield on a TD that was crazy given his freaky accuracy downfield at LSU last year.  But he looked comfortable in a game-is-not-too-fast kind of way.  

His 2 minute drill looked amazing.  No timeouts and just drove down the field.  That TD miss was bad though.  He looked solid overall and looks like he's poised to be around the league for awhile.

15 minutes ago, Triskele said:

I thought Burreaux looked pretty good yesterday.  Not crazy numbers, and he had one terrible miss downfield on a TD that was crazy given his freaky accuracy downfield at LSU last year.  But he looked comfortable in a game-is-not-too-fast kind of way.  

It was a mixed bag for him yesterday. He missed a couple sure TD’s to AJ Green and John Ross, but those happen to be the two guys he worked with the least in camp (Ross’ baby had COVID and AJ pulled a hammy). He’ll get his timing down with them soon enough.

Our one TD was off an audible Burrow called himself and he made a nice run. He had a really bad INT on a shovel pass where he was trying to do too much, but that’s just a rookie mistake.

It was a long day for him though as he was running for his life the entire 1st half. Joey Bosa was living in the backfield. He did take them down the field at the end of the game with 0 timeouts (thanks Zac Taylor), and threw a perfect pass that should have been the game winning TD but Green got called called for OPI (which they let Mike Williams get away with a couple times). He looked legit on that final drive. Overall I thought there was more positive than negative. 

18 minutes ago, Triskele said:

Saturday is on TV basically saying that Tywin is mad and that Rodgers had a special game.  

Is it some kind of masochism where it's not enough to be mad that Vikings lost opener to GB but hating on your own team like "and it was just all dink and dunk stuff too!"?

You can have both a great game and play an extremely boring style. Like I said, at one point Rodgers was something like 9 for 11 with 60 yards. That’s boring as hell. They opened it up a bit later, but that was how most of his passes went. Short, smart routes.

Here’s another example: Drew Brees. Brees was great for years while also often times being in the bottom five for air yards per pass. Yesterday his passes averaged under four yards per attempt. You can win that way, but it’s not sexy.

24 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

15 carries for Barkley for only 6 yards? How terrible is that O-Line?

Barkley had to fight for that stat line too. It looked like the Steelers D-line was going up against an average college O-line. It was comical at times. 

Archived