Soda. Pop. Coke.

SkynJay

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

My arm isn't as good because I've been out of the sport for more than a decade now, but I can still hit you in the nuts with a can of pop from, man I hope at least, 50 feet away. 

That's a little league pitchers distance.  I fucking hope so.  9 year olds could do it with soda all day.

6 minutes ago, Ran said:

"Soda" is the only correct choice. "Pop" is flyover country talk. Generic "Coke" is acceptable only if you have a Southern accent. "Soda pop" is the devil's compromise and should be abjured.

I know we're all playing in your house, but :box: :spank:

2 minutes ago, aceluby said:

That's a little league pitchers distance.  I fucking hope so.  9 year olds could do it with soda all day.

But could even Randy Johnson hit anyone from that distance with an 8-ball of coke?  These are the important distinctions.

3 minutes ago, aceluby said:

Well there's a reason why I mainly played SS, Second and Center. If I was pitching, we were either winning big, losing badly, or the game was so deep into extra innings.

I am a monster pitcher at company softball games though, but that's more due to the fact most people never played, and even if they did, they didn't get past majors. 

3 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I have an incredibly mild Southern accent (so much so that people around here think I’m from the midwest) it’s all Coke.  You must specify what kind of “Coke” you want.

:

;)

We all know you mean a white powdery substance you and your wife bust out at your famous orgies. 

Restaurants, bars, and pubs are legally obligated to ask you if Pepsi (or some other cola) is OK if you ask for a "coke" and they do not serve the Coca Cola brand. Coca Cola has been known to sue restaurants where customers who ask for a "Coke" are given another brand of cola.

I often just use the term "soft drink" (and the idea that "soft drinks" have cocaine in them mentioned above must be a joke.) And I've also been known to use the combined form "soda pop", though I think when using just one I would usually say "pop". 

This seems to be one of the latest maps of the regional use of pop/soda/coke:

http://appalachianmagazine.com/2017/10/27/map-explains-why-you-say-pop-soda-or-coke/

It's interesting to me that the northernmost use of "coke" as a generic seems to be central Indiana -- another indication of how Indiana's culture is more "Southern" than that of other Midwestern states. 

Calling it 'pop' and calling pre-drinking 'pre-game' certainly amused me during my time in the US ( pop I can understand, because we all have different names for stuff, but 'pre game' is hilariously bad)

For me, it's always soft drinks and as soylent says, 'coke' is always just coca cola.

2 minutes ago, Raja said:

pop I can understand, because we all have different names for stuff, but 'pre game' is hilariously bad

Pre-game is a term for college students.  I just call it Thursday.

Just now, DMC said:

Pre-game is a term for college students.  I just call it Thursday.

Yeah, I was getting a grad degree, so there were plenty of young people in the cohort ( myself included) - but it was such a ubiquitous term even amongst the older folks ( including profs, TAs etc)  that I came across.

If you ask for Soda over here, your likely to get Soda Water.

and while most people use Coke as a generic Cola drink of any brand  most places will either give you Coca-Cola  or ask is Pepsi ok?  If you are exceedingly unlucky or at a V festival then you will be give Virgin Cola.   (thats if they still make the stuff,  I've not had to suffer that for years)

However the correct term you are looking for is Carbonated beverages.  but no-one will ever say that.

Pop is occassonaly used by Mums of young children.  Fizzy drinks more often.

3 minutes ago, Ormond said:

I often just use the term "soft drink" (and the idea that "soft drinks" have cocaine in them mentioned above must be a joke.) And I've also been known to use the combined form "soda pop", though I think when using just one I would usually say "pop". 

It's not a joke.  The term 'soft drink' comes from the early 1900's where those who did not want to drink liquor (aka 'hard alcohol') could socially drink these beverages, with most of them having cocaine in them.  I believe that even the original coca-cola recipe had cocaine in it (hence the name 'coca'-cola).  IIRC some 'soft drinks' had morphine in them, but the most popular ones were the ones with cocaine.  It was like that for decades until caffeine replaced the coke.

1 minute ago, Raja said:

Yeah, I was getting a grad degree, so there were plenty of young people in the cohort ( myself included) - but it was such a ubiquitous term even amongst the older folks ( including profs, TAs etc)  that I came across.

Yeah it's been around for awhile.  It'd say anyone under the age of 50 is generally likely to be aware of the term if you're dealing with college/grad students/academics.

22 minutes ago, DMC said:

Yeah it's been around for awhile.  It'd say anyone under the age of 50 is generally likely to be aware of the term if you're dealing with college/grad students/academics.

Pre-game was key in college.  Usually more fun than the party or bar, IMO.  That’s where the drinking games usually happen and you get to pick the music.

As to the OP, I’d probably call it soda if I had to use a generic term but I’m usually specific when ordering and if I’m getting a ‘soda’ I’m asking for Dr. Pepper.

15 minutes ago, aceluby said:

It's not a joke.  The term 'soft drink' comes from the early 1900's where those who did not want to drink liquor (aka 'hard alcohol') could socially drink these beverages, with most of them having cocaine in them.  I believe that even the original coca-cola recipe had cocaine in it (hence the name 'coca'-cola).  IIRC some 'soft drinks' had morphine in them, but the most popular ones were the ones with cocaine.  It was like that for decades until caffeine replaced the coke.

You guys really are weird. We use 'soft drink' because it means no alcohol, not, pop with cocaine in it. But pretty well everybody in Canada says 'pop', except Quebec. Always except Quebec, where 'soft drink' is almost exclusively used. I grew up using soft drink and pop interchangeably.

Soda is stuff you use in baking and cleaning and to absorb odors in the fridge.

eta: 'pop' because that was the sound of the bottle being opened.

Archived