Soda. Pop. Coke.

SkynJay

45 minutes ago, aceluby said:

It's not a joke.  The term 'soft drink' comes from the early 1900's where those who did not want to drink liquor (aka 'hard alcohol') could socially drink these beverages, with most of them having cocaine in them.  I believe that even the original coca-cola recipe had cocaine in it (hence the name 'coca'-cola).  IIRC some 'soft drinks' had morphine in them, but the most popular ones were the ones with cocaine.  It was like that for decades until caffeine replaced the coke.

I'm really skeptical about that. The Online Etymology dictionary says the term "soft drink" for "non-alcoholic beverage" originated in the 1880s. It is quite true that many early soft drinks included cocaine, or other chemicals like lithium that would be banned from them today, but I do not think the term "soft drink" ever meant a drink that necessarily included cocaine, morphine, or another substance that's now illegal.

4 minutes ago, Ormond said:

I do not think the term "soft drink" ever meant a drink that necessarily included cocaine, morphine, or another substance that's now illegal.

Yeah the term seems rather obviously derived to differentiate from "hard" liquor.

2 minutes ago, Ormond said:

I'm really skeptical about that. The Online Etymology dictionary says the term "soft drink" for "non-alcoholic beverage" originated in the 1880s. It is quite true that many early soft drinks included cocaine, or other chemicals like lithium that would be banned from them today, but I do not think the term "soft drink" ever meant a drink that necessarily included cocaine, morphine, or another substance that's now illegal.

That's correct, it just means 'non-alcoholic' in the strictest terms.  Juice, kool-aid, and plain water are soft drinks under that definition.  But the origination of some of the most popular, like coca-cola - which got its name from using the coca plant (cocaine) and the kola nut (cola) - gained a lot of their popularity due to the buzz you could get from them that wasn't alcohol (which was beginning to be frowned upon at the time of their popularity).  People wanted a buzz that wasn't "the hard stuff", which is when those drinks really started to explode - at least in the US.  

I still prefer the term 'soft drink' to refer to those buzz seeking drinks of yesteryear as an alternative to alcohol.  Soda & pop for what is out there today.  I know I said I wasn't joking, but it was in jest ;)

3 hours ago, OldGimletEye said:

The sorts of people that say coke are the ones that walk aground the beach in wrangler jeans, cowboy boots, a flannel shirt, and one hugely over sized belt buckle. Only Texans say coke.

People that say soda have funny accents and talk way too fast.

Clearly the only choice here is pop.

I've always thought the "coke" declaration for pop was regionalism to specifically Atlanta, as Coca-Cola basically controls that city...

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

When you go to a pub and ask for a coke they will usually reply ‘Pepsi alright yeah?’

At that point you leave in disgust 

No Coke. Pepsi.  

I loathe that I have to say "soda" in my industry when I'm working where it properly called Pop and should be called anything else.  I only use "soda" in reference to work, but still say pop as much as possible instead. Because it's correct. 

People who prefer the term "soda" obviously think New York knows how to make pizza or that ketchup belongs on hot dogs...

11 minutes ago, TrueMetis said:

The answer is pop. Americans don't get a say in this debate, they don't even know how to spell colour properly.

At least we don't spell pop poup.

14 minutes ago, aceluby said:

YOU TAKE THAT BACK!!!!

Unless you know a guy....

Is this where I show Mrs. Ace a clip from Alien?

Because you put one of those little monsters inside of her, and dared to do it again!!!!!

I grew up in the Midwest and called it "pop". When I moved away from the Midwest, I caught a lot of flak for this. In my experience, the "pop" people had no problem with people saying "soda", but damn are "soda" people bothered by "pop"! I mostly call it "soda" now, not a conscious switch but just adapting speech patterns. They both make sense to me--after all, it is "soda pop."

But no, I will not stand for "coke". It is actively confusing. There is a specific type of soda/pop that is Coke!

5 hours ago, Pebble thats Stubby said:

and while most people use Coke as a generic Cola drink of any brand  most places will either give you Coca-Cola  or ask is Pepsi ok?  If you are exceedingly unlucky or at a V festival then you will be give Virgin Cola.   (thats if they still make the stuff,  I've not had to suffer that for years)

I haven't seen Virgin Cola in yeara. Looking on the Internet, apparently they stopped making it over a decade ago, I doubt it will be missed.

I lived in Alabama for my first 9 years of life. People called it "coke". I remember calling it "soda" sometimes because I thought the coke thing was confusing given there's Coca Cola lol. I felt weird saying soda when no one else seemed to and so flip flopped between coke and soda.

Moved to Florida in my second half of youth and people in my new area said soda, which I happily adapted to. Moved to Minnesota as an adult and people here say pop. I still say soda. I don't know why, but I don't really care for "pop" :P.

9 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

fizzy pop.

"Fizzy pop"??  Fizzy Pop?!

Sounds like something that would come out of a kid wearing a pinafore.  "Daddy, can I have a fizzy pop, pleeze?"  

9 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

This is exactly why we had to save your asses in WW2! 

How you’re not a Trump supporter is a constant source of amazement to me. 

When we needed saving in 1940 you fuckers were nowhere to be seen. We saved ourselves in the Battle of Britain. Germany declared war on you, not the other way around, so you are in no position to claim moral credit. Once you had taken every penny we had and every loan we could take, on the worst possible terms, you took every strategic asset we had.

Germany is given a partial pass for WWII by some people because of the effect of reparations, well we were the only European country that paid them after WWII. Food rationing was worse in Britain in the 1950s as a result of US loan repayment conditions than it was at the height of the Battle of the Atlantic, during which, by the way, thousands of British mariners were dying to provide US servicemen with triple the daily calories British servicemen and civilians survived on. 

We finished paying the US back for WWII in 2006, and yet some people, including you in a recent post, like to mock us for our fall from power and wonder what caused it. It amazes me that so many British people have undeserved affection for the US, especially with people like you around. 

19 minutes ago, Hereward said:

Germany is given a partial pass for WWII by some people because of the effect of reparations, well we were the only European country that paid them after WWII. Food rationing was worse in Britain in the 1950s as a result of US loan repayment conditions than it was at the height of the Battle of the Atlantic, during which, by the way, thousands of British mariners were dying to provide US servicemen with triple the daily calories British servicemen and civilians survived on. 

More than any other instance, or at least prolonged conflict, the Battle of Britain saved the free world.  But the UK were also the greatest - by far - recipients of the Lend-Lease Act then the Marshall Plan.  I think the US did a pretty good job making it up to you - at least more so than any other country.  Blaming the UK's chronic debt problems post WWII on the US is almost as juvenile as Ty.

Archived