The Gardening Thread

Tears of Lys

So I've got the usual herbs - some even came back from last year.  My tarragon, of which I use a lot, is a large-ish bush right now, while they're selling tiny, scrawny little sprouts for $3 or more in garden stores.  My dill re-seeded itself and I've got a pot-load of it.  Both Greek and Italian oregano, which I've really grown to appreciate the last few years.  I plan on getting a couple of jalapenos.  And I got four orange pepper plants!which we both dearly love.  We've got the usual suspects as far as tomatoes - Romas, couple of heirlooms, a few Sun Sugars (a cherry variety that's yellow and about the sweetest tomato you've ever tasted,) a Sweet 100 cherry tomato bush - very few of these make it inside the house because they're generally picked and immediately eaten.  I've got one full-size eggplant and a couple Littlefingers (heh.)  

My chocolate mint came back, and I'm keeping an eye on him so he doesn't climb out of his pot and take over my yard.  Oh, and I've got yellow squash and zucchini squash.  I may be leaving somebody out, but that's all I can recall now.  I was too late to grab some Brandywine heirloom tomatoes - all sold out.  If you can grow them, they are completely wonderful.  But being heirlooms, they're not disease resistant at all.

What do YOU have?  

Well I grow potatoes and tomatoes every year now. The garden also has lots of strawberries, some redcurrant bushes, rhubarb, and a tiny bit of sorrel and chives, not to mention a laurel tree. But this year, thanks to the lockdown, we started basil, green beans, peas, carrots, squash, celery, and beetroot.

1 hour ago, Rippounet said:

Well I grow potatoes and tomatoes every year now. The garden also has lots of strawberries, some redcurrant bushes, rhubarb, and a tiny bit of sorrel and chives, not to mention a laurel tree. But this year, thanks to the lockdown, we started basil, green beans, peas, carrots, squash, celery, and beetroot.

Planning on scrogging some hydroponic strawberries after this grow. 

3 hours ago, Spockydog said:

I'm a big fan of herbs myself.

Therefore, this whole lockdown thing has forced me into securing the most important of all my supply lines.

After a shaky start, she's looking rather good.

That's the . . .fluffiest looking plant of its kind I've ever seen!  You must have a special strain.  Hmmm . . .

I live in a high rise building and I have no outdoor space so I'm somewhat limited.  But during this whole lockdown and being in my apartment for days on end and the greyness of March and April I did find myself ordering a few starter kits for herbs.  (I had no pots or access to dirt so this was the quickest and easiest way to go for me.)  I've got mint, basil, and parsley growing and its been fun to watch them go.

But honestly the most fun I have had is with the romaine scrap.  Around the beginning of April I began to notice all these articles about growing from kitchen scraps and everyone seemed to be sticking lettuce and onions and celery ends in water.  I had some romaine so I thought why not?  And its been utterly amazing to watch it grow so quickly.  Mine is up to 2 feet tall and shows no sign of stopping.  If I had any extra pots or dirt I'd try planting it to give it some more stability but it seems very happy in its glass of water for now.

We have a large garden now and I’m thinking of starting a herb garden.  We use a lot of basil and cilantro.  It might be nice to add tarragon, rosemary, thyme and some others just for their aroma.  Although I think rosemary can be a stubborn spreader once it gets started.

Tomatoes or similar are impossible with the number of chipmunks around.  Anything with fruit or seeds will get decimated. 

I’d like to plant some more flowers too, but it sounds like only daffodils/narcissi don’t entice deer into the garden (we have a deer fence, but they can jump it if motivated) or get ravaged by squirrels and chipmunks. 

Last weekend we planted a peony perennial and put 4 hanging tomato planters bordering the patio.

Just received 10 Norwegian Pines and 2 lilac bush seedlings and will be deciding where to plant those around the property tomorrow.

I'm sure the lilacs will go close to a kitchen window where we can enjoy the aroma through the screen. 

We already have a great yielding Apple tree, I'm thinking a cherry tree might be neat next.

Oh also was exciting for a short window of time recently when I was able to pick dozens of morel mushrooms from our own property. They were great in omelettes and some casserole. And just like that they stopped popping up. 

I love planting and yard work in general.

12 hours ago, lady narcissa said:

I/snip

But honestly the most fun I have had is with the romaine scrap.  Around the beginning of April I began to notice all these articles about growing from kitchen scraps and everyone seemed to be sticking lettuce and onions and celery ends in water.  I had some romaine so I thought why not?  And its been utterly amazing to watch it grow so quickly.  Mine is up to 2 feet tall and shows no sign of stopping.  If I had any extra pots or dirt I'd try planting it to give it some more stability but it seems very happy in its glass of water for now.

Do you just stick the bottoms, after you've cut the tops off and used them, in a glass of water? I've never tried that, but I can see how it would work.  What a great idea!

11 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

We have a large garden now and I’m thinking of starting a herb garden.  We use a lot of basil and cilantro.  It might be nice to add tarragon, rosemary, thyme and some others just for their aroma.  Although I think rosemary can be a stubborn spreader once it gets started.

Tomatoes or similar are impossible with the number of chipmunks around.  Anything with fruit or seeds will get decimated. 

I’d like to plant some more flowers too, but it sounds like only daffodils/narcissi don’t entice deer into the garden (we have a deer fence, but they can jump it if motivated) or get ravaged by squirrels and chipmunks. 

I like to say our yard is like a Disney movie run amok.  Deer, raccoon, squirrels (three different colors: gray, black, and brownish.)  And tons of rabbits!  Oh, and a gorgeous turkey who struts his stuff for anyone who'll look at him. We keep our veggies in pots on our deck to protect them from the marauders.  We still have to drape them with netting though, to keep the cardinals from eating the tomatoes.  Sigh.   

As for herbs, lemon thyme is well worth growing.  The scent is heavenly.  And it's great in a lemon vinaigrette and stuffing, etc., etc.  Pineapple sage is really cool too.  It does smell exactly like pineapple.  It gets quite tall, though, but is the last thing to bloom in the year - sometime around November - with red flowers that bees like.  

6 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Last weekend we planted a peony perennial and put 4 hanging tomato planters bordering the patio.

Just received 10 Norwegian Pines and 2 lilac bush seedlings and will be deciding where to plant those around the property tomorrow.

I'm sure the lilacs will go close to a kitchen window where we can enjoy the aroma through the screen. 

We already have a great yielding Apple tree, I'm thinking a cherry tree might be neat next.

Oh also was exciting for a short window of time recently when I was able to pick dozens of morel mushrooms from our own property. They were great in omelettes and some casserole. And just like that they stopped popping up. 

I love planting and yard work in general.

I love lilacs, but have had no luck growing them in our yard.  Don't know whether the deer mow them down or what, but they just slowly disappear. :(   And morel mushrooms?!  What a find!  I know you're supposed to leave parts of them in the ground or wherever when harvesting so they'll re-spore themselves.  Couple of years ago I came across a deep orange, pumpkin-like growth that looked positively scary in this big wood I walk in.  Googled it and come to find out it's an edible fungi called "Chicken of the Woods" and highly prized.  When I returned for some, others had gotten to it first.  They must not have left part of it because I haven't seen any since.  I'll see if I can post a picture of it.  It was really something to see.

I forgot to mention we have a few apple trees, pears, and nectarines too.  The birds usually get to the fruit before we do, which is okay.  The Baltimore Orioles and Goldfinch are well worth it! 

48 minutes ago, Tears of Lys said:

Do you just stick the bottoms, after you've cut the tops off and used them, in a glass of water? I've never tried that, but I can see how it would work.  What a great idea!

Yes, you just stick them in 2 inches of water and change the water every other day.  Appears to work for green onions, celery, and all kinds of lettuce.  Mine started growing within a day.  Next to baking bread, this seemed to be the most popular thing in the early days of quarantine on social media.

17 hours ago, Rippounet said:

I forgot to mention chives.  But you never have a little bit of chive.  Once it blooms, it spreads its seed indiscriminately, and you end up with chive EVERYWHERE.  

1 hour ago, Tears of Lys said:
8 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

and yard work in general.

I love lilacs, but have had no luck growing them in our yard.  Don't know whether the deer mow them down or what, but they just slowly disappear. :(   And morel mushrooms?!  What a find

I'm surprised you've had no luck with the lilacs yet. They seem to do so well in our region.

Yeah the morels were a real cool find. Found them initially last year. There were a few acres in back of our lot that goes all along a marsh area, it was all long grasses and trees when I moved in but I spent all last summer knocking down all the weeds and high grass. Results.....now we can see where all the morels are easy pickings....they seem to be thriving around all they decaying logs that butts up to the wetland.

Can't wait for the wknd so I can get back to the landscaping. I've noticed the insects/mosquitoes have been very few so far this season up here, hoping this continues!

Archived