When did The Long Night happen?

Brandon Ice-Eyes

When did The Long Night happen?

So I’ve been re-reading TWOIAF and the dates seem completely off. I know GRRM has deliberately done this to make the history a bit more foggy/hazy as it would be but does anyone have any ideas on when it actually started or could you link some threads if it’s already been discussed.

Personally I think it happened around 4000 years ago with the Andal inavasion happening around 2000 years ago.

Originally George had it as 8000 years ago. But over time he made a 2000 year adjustment to the timeline, shown by various hints in the later books and World Book etc.

It now seems he has the First Men arriving around 10,000 years ago the Long Night around 6000 years ago and the Andal migration happening around 2000 years ago.

In the case of the Andals, he seems to have made the shift partly to allow their migration to be influenced by Valyrian pressure. And he has done so by stretching the migration out over centuries. Early Andal raiders seem to have made landfall more like 3000 years ago, with the Arryns already having ruled the Vale for generations by the time of the Rape of the Three Sisters 2000 years ago.

So my timeline:

10,000 BP - First Men migration starts

6,000 BP - Long Night

3000 BP - Earliest Andal raiders cross the Narrow Sea

2500 BP - Main Andal migration starts

1 hour ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

Originally George had it as 8000 years ago. But over time he made a 2000 year adjustment to the timeline, shown by various hints in the later books and World Book etc.

It now seems he has the First Men arriving around 10,000 years ago the Long Night around 6000 years ago and the Andal migration happening around 2000 years ago.

In the case of the Andals, he seems to have made the shift partly to allow their migration to be influenced by Valyrian pressure. And he has done so by stretching the migration out over centuries. Early Andal raiders seem to have made landfall more like 3000 years ago, with the Arryns already having ruled the Vale for generations by the time of the Rape of the Three Sisters 2000 years ago.

So my timeline:

10,000 BP - First Men migration starts

6,000 BP - Long Night

3000 BP - Earliest Andal raiders cross the Narrow Sea

2500 BP - Main Andal migration starts

Would the andal raiders have been conquering or just pillaging? - Also doesn’t it state that the Stark conquest of the north took 2000 years and finished as the earliest andal ships were crossing? Wouldn’t it make more sense for the long night to have happened 5000 years ago?

1 hour ago, Brandon Ice-Eyes V1 said:

Would the andal raiders have been conquering or just pillaging? - Also doesn’t it state that the Stark conquest of the north took 2000 years and finished as the earliest andal ships were crossing? Wouldn’t it make more sense for the long night to have happened 5000 years ago?

It isn’t mentioned how long it took the Starks to conquer the North, other than it was a gradual process over centuries. And it was only the Boltons who held out until the “first Andals started crossing the Narrow Sea in their longships”.

It happened at least 5000 years ago, based on:

- at the time of the First Long Night there was no dragons yet. The rise of Valyria happened after the Long Night ended. The last, fifth, war between Valyrians and Ghiscari ended 5000 years ago (Dany said so in ASOS, Dany II);

- the prophecy about Second Long Night and rebirth of Azor Ahai is also 5000 years old (this was said either in ACOK, Davos I or in ADWD, Jon III). And there couldn't have been a prophecy about rebirth of Azor Ahai prior the First Long Night ended and first Azor defeated the Others.

Archived