Who will have the most chapters in TWOW and ADOS?

Each book has one character who takes the spotlight with the most chapters. They usually have a big contribution to the story, and are sort of like the main character for that book (I know there are no main characters, it's just my opinion). AGOT- Ned. ACOK-Tyrion. ASOS- Arya. AFFC- Cersei. ADWD- Jon. So if Grrm is going to choose a character for the next two books to take the spotlight which two characters will it be?

In my opinion the two characters will be Bran and Dany. Both of them will be very important in what's to come in the next two books. Bran is like the representation of ice, and Dany is the representation of fire. They also are far away from the main story, and need a lot of chapters to get through to become prominent in what's going on. Bran is north of the wall, and Dany is in Essos. It also seems odd that they have had less chapters in the other books, and I think that's because they're going to have HUGE rolls coming up soon.

As far as which character will have the most chapters for which book, it's hard to say. Bran will be important for shedding light on the Others in TWOW, as well as making his way south of the wall to help fight the Others. At the same time Dany has a lot of plot to get through in Essos and her voyage back West. Tyrion, Barristan, and Victarion could take care of some of that though. And then finally to ADOS, it will be time for the long night, and both characters will have a big part to play there as well.

Do you think Bran and Dany will have the most chapters in the upcoming books?

1 hour ago, King Adrian Storm said:

Number of chapters is not indicative of importance nor of spotlight.  It is all about quality, not quantity.  Most of the Stark chapters are not at all exciting to me.  That being said, the boy in Woodville will have a lot of chapter.  Our young heroine, Daenerys Targaryen, will also get a lot of chapters.  Martin has already said that the Dothraki will be prominent again in TWOW.  

First I consider the Starks, Dany and Tyrion the "main characters" of the books, so I´m pretty sure it will be one of them.

Like mentioned in the first post Dany and Tyrion "steal" POVs from each other, as do Barristan and Victarion.

The Starklings don´t have any other POV characters nearby currently (Mels 1(?) chapter doesnt count). I would name Jon first if he wasn´t "dead", so I fear Sansa will be the major character at first. But I hope for a quick recovery and many chapters for Jon. And I do think that both Bran and Arya will be major players near the showdown.

Spoiler

It´s definately not going down like in the show, but I totally dig the idea that Bran and Arya will ultimately be the ones to stop the long night.

TWOW- Cersei. The two areas that need the most coverage are the North/Wall and Kings Landing.

In the South we've got to cover the Religious uprising, Margaery's trial, the aftermath of Kevan's death, the war with FAegon and the disssolving Tyrell alliance and possibly Tommen's death. That's just KL and the Stormlands and the only other perspective we have on this are Jon Con and Arianne who I suspect will only get a handful each. Between them, those two only really cover Aegon's war and might less directly influence the other issues. So Cersei will have to have more chapters than those two combined.

In the North we have the Battle in the Ice, Winterfell, finding Rickon, the aftermath of the mutiny, Hardhome, the probable attack by the Weeper on Shadow Tower, Jon's return and the immenent arrival of the Others. But we've got Davos, Theon, Asha, Bran (even if he's a bit more removed with his own stuff going on to), Jon (depending on when he returns) and even the occasional Mel chapter to cover this stuff.

Same story for Slaver's Bay, we've got atm four POV's there, even if I doubt one of them will be around much longer.  

Jaime and Brienne will once again be sharing a story so they'll both have less than usual. Hotah and Aeron's chapters will be important but few and far between. Sam will probably have a fair few seeing as he's got to cover the Oldtown stuff and will likely be our window into the other stuff going on in the Reach (like with Willas and Garlan, who are meant to be important as per the author and are currently in the southern half of the Reach, like Sam is) but I can't see him having the most. Arya's story is very disconnected. Unlike everyone else, her story doesn't have a massive impact on the main plot except for when they cross over. 

Sansa...I don't know. I think the stuff happening in the Vale will be very important. Seeing as its one of only two regions completely untouched by war, can't be affected by the Ironborn, isn't being immediately affected by the Others, FAegon or Dany I suspect the Vale in Winds will be important but perhaps less often? Sansa our only POV there so that'll help her numbers, but I like Sam I just don't see it as being as often as Cersei.

ADOS- Jon and Dany. Probably an even split, no contest. The two big plot points will be the Second Dance (which might be Aegon & Dany vs Cersei & Euron or Aegon vs Dany vs Cersei & Euron or Aegon vs Dany and then only after Dany vs Cersei & Euron) and the Others. So the two most numerous POV's would be Jon and Dany as the central figures in those conflicts (and I suspect they'd merge together about half-way/two thirds of the way through ahead of the endgame, whatever that may be).

15 hours ago, Adam Yozza said:

TWOW- Cersei. The two areas that need the most coverage are the North/Wall and Kings Landing.

In the South we've got to cover the Religious uprising, Margaery's trial, the aftermath of Kevan's death, the war with FAegon and the disssolving Tyrell alliance and possibly Tommen's death. That's just KL and the Stormlands and the only other perspective we have on this are Jon Con and Arianne who I suspect will only get a handful each. Between them, those two only really cover Aegon's war and might less directly influence the other issues. So Cersei will have to have more chapters than those two combined.

In the North we have the Battle in the Ice, Winterfell, finding Rickon, the aftermath of the mutiny, Hardhome, the probable attack by the Weeper on Shadow Tower, Jon's return and the immenent arrival of the Others. But we've got Davos, Theon, Asha, Bran (even if he's a bit more removed with his own stuff going on to), Jon (depending on when he returns) and even the occasional Mel chapter to cover this stuff.

Same story for Slaver's Bay, we've got atm four POV's there, even if I doubt one of them will be around much longer.  

Jaime and Brienne will once again be sharing a story so they'll both have less than usual. Hotah and Aeron's chapters will be important but few and far between. Sam will probably have a fair few seeing as he's got to cover the Oldtown stuff and will likely be our window into the other stuff going on in the Reach (like with Willas and Garlan, who are meant to be important as per the author and are currently in the southern half of the Reach, like Sam is) but I can't see him having the most. Arya's story is very disconnected. Unlike everyone else, her story doesn't have a massive impact on the main plot except for when they cross over. 

Sansa...I don't know. I think the stuff happening in the Vale will be very important. Seeing as its one of only two regions completely untouched by war, can't be affected by the Ironborn, isn't being immediately affected by the Others, FAegon or Dany I suspect the Vale in Winds will be important but perhaps less often? Sansa our only POV there so that'll help her numbers, but I like Sam I just don't see it as being as often as Cersei.

ADOS- Jon and Dany. Probably an even split, no contest. The two big plot points will be the Second Dance (which might be Aegon & Dany vs Cersei & Euron or Aegon vs Dany vs Cersei & Euron or Aegon vs Dany and then only after Dany vs Cersei & Euron) and the Others. So the two most numerous POV's would be Jon and Dany as the central figures in those conflicts (and I suspect they'd merge together about half-way/two thirds of the way through ahead of the endgame, whatever that may be).

But it's pretty obvious Arya is going to leave the FM and return to Westeros and face all the stuff happening in the Riverlands that she left behind including what GRRM describes as an important plot point with Lady Stoneheart and then heading North most likely.

GRRM also said he wrote enough Braavos chapters to fill a whole book and he quite possibly completed drafts of all her Braavos chapters as early as 2012 and when asked a year later at a fan Convention which POV he was currently writing? He said Arya. The one chapter he released Mercy was written before 2005. There is a chance Tyrion might be stopping off in Braavos before meeting up with Dany near the end and then heading back to Westeros. Another point to mention, George was asked (well after all 5 books were released) if the Faceless Men were hired to kill Dany's dragons and he replied "Not yet." So the crossovers seem to be happening in the next book with Arya and other main characters.

As far as ADOS, perhaps you should consider the locations of the character pairings you highlighted. George already said his POVs will start meeting up and converging. So there are other POV characters George could use in those locations especially King's Landing.  

10 hours ago, a black swan said:

But it's pretty obvious Arya is going to leave the FM and return to Westeros and face all the stuff happening in the Riverlands that she left behind including what GRRM describes as an important plot point with Lady Stoneheart and then heading North most likely.

GRRM also said he wrote enough Braavos chapters to fill a whole book and he quite possibly completed drafts of all her Braavos chapters as early as 2012 and when asked a year later at a fan Convention which POV he was currently writing? He said Arya. The one chapter he released Mercy was written before 2005. There is a chance Tyrion might be stopping off in Braavos before meeting up with Dany near the end and then heading back to Westeros. Another point to mention, George was asked (well after all 5 books were released) if the Faceless Men were hired to kill Dany's dragons and he replied "Not yet." So the crossovers seem to be happening in the next book with Arya and other main characters.

As far as ADOS, perhaps you should consider the locations of the character pairings you highlighted. George already said his POVs will start meeting up and converging. So there are other POV characters George could use in those locations especially King's Landing.  

I'm not saying Arya won't have anything to do and I'm sure she'll have quite a few things to do in Winds on her arc to get back to Westeros. But I don't she'll have as many as Cersei. I figure the stuff with Lady Stoneheart will take place towards the end of Winds leaving her to join back up with Jon &/or Sansa in the North at the begining of ADOS. So in just the one book, she has to have a chapter to incite her return, her split with the faceless men, her journey back and probably at least three chapters in the Riverlands. Thats still a decent haul of chapters, but it just doesn't cover as much content as Cersei's, at least as events stand.

And yes I know the POV's are going to start converging. By the end of Winds all of the surviving POV's in the North will be together. Arya will have converged with Jaime and Brienne. Cersei, JonCon, Areo and Arianne are already quite close in proximity and their conflicts are going to merge eventually. Dany and the Essos POV's will be ending Winds in close proximity to those characters too. Sansa I'm not sure on. She'll be closing in on either the Northern crew, the Riverlands crew or the K.L/Dorne/Reach conflict POV

TWOW: Daenerys must cover a huge arc. Uniting the Dothraki and moving west will need a lot of chapters. I believe the end will find her set sail for Westeros and for a huge part of the story she will be apart from Tyrion. 

ADOS: Sansa will have the most. She is non magical character amd will have a huge role to play in the rebuilding of the world.

10 hours ago, Adam Yozza said:

I'm not saying Arya won't have anything to do and I'm sure she'll have quite a few things to do in Winds on her arc to get back to Westeros. But I don't she'll have as many as Cersei. I figure the stuff with Lady Stoneheart will take place towards the end of Winds leaving her to join back up with Jon &/or Sansa in the North at the begining of ADOS. So in just the one book, she has to have a chapter to incite her return, her split with the faceless men, her journey back and probably at least three chapters in the Riverlands. Thats still a decent haul of chapters, but it just doesn't cover as much content as Cersei's, at least as events stand.

I just get the impression that when George spends enough time writing about Braavos (which could have greater importance on happenings in Westeros) enough material to fill a whole book... seems like she has a lot to experience before inciting her return to Westeros. Massey, Tycho Nestoris and fArya are likely to arrive in Braavos. Arya continues with her training (possibly as a handmaid to a courtesan, see more of the upcoming conflict after the current sick Sealord dies and the knives come out, the Iron bank / Faceless Men machinations, the Unmasking of Uthero and the chances of Arya meeting Tyrion or Dany are quite high too.) All before the chapters that incite her return to Westeros and the cross over with Lady Stoneheart/RIverlands and possibly Northern plotlines. 

And yes I know the POV's are going to start converging. By the end of Winds all of the surviving POV's in the North will be together. Arya will have converged with Jaime and Brienne. Cersei, JonCon, Areo and Arianne are already quite close in proximity and their conflicts are going to merge eventually. Dany and the Essos POV's will be ending Winds in close proximity to those characters too. Sansa I'm not sure on. She'll be closing in on either the Northern crew, the Riverlands crew or the K.L/Dorne/Reach conflict POV

Exactly :) which gives GRRM the freedom to select different POVs that play out various storylines in each location. Dany or Jon won't always be the POV in their locations now that so many main POVs are converging. 

3 hours ago, a black swan said:

I just get the impression that when George spends enough time writing about Braavos (which could have greater importance on happenings in Westeros) enough material to fill a whole book... seems like she has a lot to experience before inciting her return to Westeros. Massey, Tycho Nestoris and fArya are likely to arrive in Braavos. Arya continues with her training (possibly as a handmaid to a courtesan, see more of the upcoming conflict after the current sick Sealord dies and the knives come out, the Iron bank / Faceless Men machinations, the Unmasking of Uthero and the chances of Arya meeting Tyrion or Dany are quite high too.) All before the chapters that incite her return to Westeros and the cross over with Lady Stoneheart/RIverlands and possibly Northern plotlines.

Maybe. I can definitely see thats there's a lot to cover in Braavos. But with how much is left to do in the rest of the story, I guess I'm just having trouble seeing how far the Braavos stuff can be developed and expanded beyond the strictly necessary without eating up too much time. But again, I don't think Arya will have a lower amount of chapters than normal, just that she won't get more than usual either, like I suspect Cersei might.

3 hours ago, a black swan said:

Exactly :) which gives GRRM the freedom to select different POVs that play out various storylines in each location. Dany or Jon won't always be the POV in their locations now that so many main POVs are converging. 

Ah, okay, I see what you're saying. Yeah I agree. However as the likely main protagonists of their respective conflicts, it would make more sense to visit their POV's slightly more regularly than the others around them in Dream. Especially seeing as there might well be a few less POV's left by that point (I don't hold out hope of seeing Barristan, Vic, Aeron or JonCon getting POV chapters in Dream, for example)

On 6/9/2020 at 10:04 AM, King Adrian Storm said:

Each book has one character who takes the spotlight with the most chapters. They usually have a big contribution to the story, and are sort of like the main character for that book (I know there are no main characters, it's just my opinion). AGOT- Ned. ACOK-Tyrion. ASOS- Arya. AFFC- Cersei. ADWD- Jon. So if Grrm is going to choose a character for the next two books to take the spotlight which two characters will it be?

In my opinion the two characters will be Bran and Dany. Both of them will be very important in what's to come in the next two books. Bran is like the representation of ice, and Dany is the representation of fire. They also are far away from the main story, and need a lot of chapters to get through to become prominent in what's going on. Bran is north of the wall, and Dany is in Essos. It also seems odd that they have had less chapters in the other books, and I think that's because they're going to have HUGE rolls coming up soon.

As far as which character will have the most chapters for which book, it's hard to say. Bran will be important for shedding light on the Others in TWOW, as well as making his way south of the wall to help fight the Others. At the same time Dany has a lot of plot to get through in Essos and her voyage back West. Tyrion, Barristan, and Victarion could take care of some of that though. And then finally to ADOS, it will be time for the long night, and both characters will have a big part to play there as well.

They have had less chapters in the books because those are where most of the mysteries are.  GRRM wants to avoid revealing a lot of their stories because they are the pivotal characters in this epic story.

On 6/9/2020 at 3:04 PM, King Adrian Storm said:

No. Dany specially won t be in the run for most chapters because she is surrounded by pov characters. And if God exists there won t be many chapters wasted with the return of the dothriaki (one of the weakest parts of the upcoming book). 

Bran is a different story. I would like for him to stay in the cave for ever and send me sages in dreams to other people so to me he won t have a lot of chapters because he will be privy to all misteries. 

Besides, to me a lot of the upcoming book has to be spent organizing the north for the fight against the others. Between forging weapons, storing food, convincing people, establish peace in the area, defeat the Boltons, look for southern alliances... And this needs to happen asap.it can t wait for bran to learn shit in the cave and then spend some months traveling... 

I think Jon will be the one with more chapters because the only other POVs in the north are Mel, Davos and the greyjoys. And Davis is away, theon likely to die, we don't know if Asha will remain in the north or if Mel will leave the wall. 

I think Daenerys will have A LOT of chapters in both The Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring. I can see her having 5-7 chapters with the Dothraki and that's before she gets involved in what's happening/happened in Meereen. Since I'm pretty sure she'll be conquering all Essos in order to effectively abolish slavery, 10 chapters are easy.

I actually don't think that Cersei needs that many chapters in The Winds of Winter. She, Tyrion and Ned needed a lot of chapters because they were ruling the Seven Kingdoms. She is not going to be in a position of power or authority (or even visibility) for a good portion of the book. It serves to keep her in the dark to both create an air of mystery and deafness that precedes the collapse of the Lannister-Tyrell regime and to intensify her paranoia.

I'm willing to bet that Jon will have  3 chapters max in Winds and that he will have no more chapters from that point on. Deceased characters 

On 6/10/2020 at 2:41 PM, Adam Yozza said:

I don't think that Jon is getting any POV chapters post-resurrection.

In Dream, I think the Second Dance will be:

1. Aegon & Arianne vs. Dany vs. Cersei vs. Euron
  2. Aegon & Arianne vs. Dany & Jon vs. Cersei & Euron
  3. Dany & Jon vs. Cersei & Euron
  4. Dany vs. Jon

I think that the Dance between Dany and Jon will be more of a cold war, marital discord kind of situation.

2 hours ago, James West said:

They have had less chapters in the books because those are where most of the mysteries are.  GRRM wants to avoid revealing a lot of their stories because they are the pivotal characters in this epic story.

That's why I think Bran and Dany both will have the highest chapter count in A Dream of Spring.

10 hours ago, Endymion I Targaryen said:

TWOW: Daenerys must cover a huge arc. Uniting the Dothraki and moving west will need a lot of chapters. I believe the end will find her set sail for Westeros and for a huge part of the story she will be apart from Tyrion. 

ADOS: Sansa will have the most. She is non magical character amd will have a huge role to play in the rebuilding of the world.

While I do think that Sansa will have a bunch of chapters (if not more than Bran), I don't think you can say that Sansa is a non-magical character. She is a skinchanger like her siblings and cousin...I suspect that her skinchanging powers are about to awaken.

18 hours ago, Adam Yozza said:

Maybe. I can definitely see thats there's a lot to cover in Braavos. But with how much is left to do in the rest of the story, I guess I'm just having trouble seeing how far the Braavos stuff can be developed and expanded beyond the strictly necessary without eating up too much time. But again, I don't think Arya will have a lower amount of chapters than normal, just that she won't get more than usual either, like I suspect Cersei might.

His editor Anne hinted at 8 books as early as 2014. George is still writing Winds to this day, mentioning the pressure from his publishers to add another book. There is still so much story to cover and I don't think George will do it in 3,000 manuscript pages like he predicted. According to him, he's really bad a predictions. ;)

5 hours ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

That's a bold supposition that ADOS will ever be released. Sure TWOW is either months or 2 years away tops (hopefully) but given GRRM's writing speed, odds aren't good for ADOS

If it is ever released, my prediction is that the required number of books will have gone up.

I agree that we are prolly in store for a lot of Cersie, but I think Arya and Bran will continue the pattern of the Last couple books they appeared in, fewer chapters in which more happens

Besides them I see an uptick for Sam and/or Aeron Greyjoy, they are the only two POVs around the Ironborn/Reach theater of Westeros currently.

....by the same logic, Arianne Martel will be more prominent as well.

Archived