Star Wars: the First Time is always Special

Gaston de Foix

1 minute ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Luke literally entering a dark wood and facing Vader.  Vader an obvious symbol for fear, for the future, for Luke's destiny etc.  But he kills him easily.  Prophecy? And then he sees his own face...not sure I can decode this yet. 

That's why media should be consumed in order of production. Not some silly notion of 'chronology'.

And the next time your lady gives you a directive, direct her to the kitchen to fetch you a beer. This is the Holy Trilogy. Not some Disney knockoff. 

Just now, Jace, Basilissa said:

That's why media should be consumed in order of production. Not some silly notion of 'chronology'.

And the next time your lady gives you a directive, direct her to the kitchen to fetch you a beer. This is the Holy Trilogy. Not some Disney knockoff. 

Jace, I can only assume that you are more skilled at this "marriage"/relationship thing than I am :).  Not sure I understand your first comment..

So Vader has hired the bounty hunters.  Meanwhile back on the Millennium Falcon, it's all going wrong for our heroes.  This seems to be one of Lucas' real storytelling innovations.  Shit goes wrong with the alarming frequency of real life.  Those movies I've watched from this period or earlier seem pretty Gary Stuish in comparison. 

6 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Captain Needa displays the leadership skills and initiative the Empire needs by taking responsibility and apologizing to Vader. Vader kills him.  Definitely in the chaotic evil camp here whatever the guff he spouts about peace being his motive. 

Vader is basically the king of dark humor. Remember his line from Rogue One? Be careful not to choke on your aspirations.

1 hour ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Had to stop yesterday because my (pregnant) SO directed I could only watch with no sound/subtitles and I refused to compromise my cinematic experience :)

I've been dying to find out why @HelenaExMachina described the Empire Strikes Back as her favorite of the trilogy.  Restarting now. 

There is no one specific thing that makes this my favourite, i just feel that as a whole its just so compelling. There’s not really any point during the film where I am bored or don’t care about the characters. Everything works for me - nicely paced, exciting action scenes, good character work, iconic locations. From the opening on Hoth through to...well through to where it ends (you’ll see).

As I said before though, I very much enjoyed TFA and TLJ too, in contrast to quite a lot here. My ranking of the films shifts quite a bit thouh depending on my current mood and how recently ive watched the film. My top 4 shifts between ESB, TLJ, TFA and R1.

8 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Jace, I can only assume that you are more skilled at this "marriage"/relationship thing than I am :).  Not sure I understand your first comment..

So Vader has hired the bounty hunters.  Meanwhile back on the Millennium Falcon, it's all going wrong for our heroes.  This seems to be one of Lucas' real storytelling innovations.  Shit goes wrong with the alarming frequency of real life.  Those movies I've watched from this period or earlier seem pretty Gary Stuish in comparison. 

Jace’s first comment - think about watching this with no knowledge from the prequels. Its even more exciting and mysterious. This was the original story, the prequels retroactively tried to fill in the banks

13 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

As I said before though, I very much enjoyed TFA and TLJ too, in contrast to quite a lot here. My ranking of the films shifts quite a bit thouh depending on my current mood and how recently ive watched the film. My top 4 shifts between ESB, TLJ, TFA and R1.

Jace’s first comment - think about watching this with no knowledge from the prequels. Its even more exciting and mysterious. This was the original story, the prequels retroactively tried to fill in the banks

Let's hope that stands a prediction for me as well :).  I'm planning to watch the sequels but not (as of now) the Mandalorian or the standalones. 

I (deservedly) will keep getting shit from you guys for watching the prequels first.  But honestly  I was expecting for these three movies to feel dated and a chore to watch. And the prequels to be modern and whizz bang...

Yoda's neutral advice to let Luke decide whatever he thinks best about the threat to Hans and Leia is completely undercut by his subsequent words and deeds.  The ghost of Obi Wan joins in.  Luke reacts like a typical teenager to good advice from his elders..

Meanwhile the City in the Clouds is supercool.  Random q: why is the Millennium Falcon so different in shape from every other spaceship we see.

3 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

"That boy is our last hope.  No, there is another." Wut? 

The prequel trilogy (plus original trilogy sequels) makes Obi-Wan look like a compulsive liar with partial amnesia.

Or a misogynist who doesnt think Leia can be a Jedi.

19 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

I missed something here.  Who is the person following the Millennium Falcon after it heads off to Lando? Or are we not supposed to know yet?

That would be Boba Fett. 

13 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Meanwhile the City in the Clouds is supercool.  Random q: why is the Millennium Falcon so different in shape from every other spaceship we see.

The Falcon is a small freighter - most other ships we see are fighter craft or cruiser analogues. In addition to that, the Falcon has been modified and fucked with, like, a crazy amount. 

Treachery from Lando. Sort of inevitable that the Empire could offer him more. 

Vader proving his chaotic evil nature by revising his agreement with Lando.  So not only does Vader kill and torture, he doesn't respect the sanctity of contracts.  There's no redeeming this guy...

On 6/11/2020 at 9:04 AM, HelenaExMachina said:

The less said about RoS the better.

There is one bit of RoS that is one of my favourites of all the films, the rest of it though :angry:.

In fact they should have let me do the plot for that film, it would have been like the red wedding for the alliance :D, except BB-8, I like him too much.

It's interesting that Vader thinks Obi-Wan is still alive and trained Luke.  Which I suppose in a sense he is.  He's simultaneously trying to kill Luke, convert him to the dark side, and recruit him.  Why not start things off with a nice cup of tea and a chat and see how you go?   

Vader v.  Luke rumble continues.  Holy Shit.  Luke loses his hand and lightsaber.  Now Vader, ignoring the minor fact he has cut off his son's hand, tries to recruit him.  And the big reveal comes.  Yes, @HelenaExMachina and @Corvinus85, this would be a much more powerful moment if I watched the OT first...

Also, shades of Saruman's recruiting speech to Gandalf here.  First join the Dark Lord, then join me and help me overthrow the Dark Lord.   After trying to get Luke to join the dark side, Vader reveals his parentage and Luke's danger to the Emperor.  The offer makes sense if you are willing to overlook the fact that your dad just cut off your hand. Yes, he's definitely the guy I would want to play Caesar to my Augustus...

Luke chooses what seems like certain death tho.  Great acting by Hamill here.  

Archived