Star Wars: the First Time is always Special

Gaston de Foix

Minor digression: It's interesting how the OT repeatedly characterizes Jedi as a religion and not just a warrior caste or a philosophy.  I didn't see the same emphasis in the prequels.  A faith which grants powers to perform miracles/magic and which some in world-people dismiss as tricks or bullshit. 

But it's a faith with two branches in perpetual war with each other.  Beyond the obvious influence of Zoroastrianism,  there's also a little bit of the Catholic-Protestant schism and the earlier Pope-Antipope medieval conflicts.  Which raises an obvious question:  does the Light need the Dark Side to survive?  Anakin was supposed to bring balance and at this point there is a clear imbalance with only one Jedi left and the Dark Side ruling the galaxy.  But once balance is restored do you need to have Sith Lords in order to have Jedis? Dunno.  I'm sure I'm not the only person to ask this question...

Anyway, the Emperor is calling out Luke's play early, telling him his father irredeemable and he will succumb too.  Luke promises mutual death for the Emperor and himself.  Maybe it's a more effective threat Luke if you maybe just stick with the first part?

The mind games continue with Luke describing overconfidence as the Emperor's biggest flaw.  The Emperor rejoins that Luke's faith in others is his.  

7 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

But it's a faith with two branches in perpetual war with each other.  Beyond the obvious influence of Zoroastrianism,  there's also a little bit of the Catholic-Protestant schism and the earlier Pope-Antipope medieval conflicts.  Which raises an obvious question:  does the Light need the Dark Side to survive?  Anakin was supposed to bring balance and at this point there is a clear imbalance with only one Jedi left and the Dark Side ruling the galaxy.  But once balance is restored do you need to have Sith Lords in order to have Jedis? Dunno.  I'm sure I'm not the only person to ask this question...

That's really a question that has accompanied the fandom for quite a while. Lucas himself says that 'balance' means the light side ruling supreme because even a single dark side user is perceived as an imbalance. So... it would be more about purity. Of course much of the fandom is of the justified opinion than in that case a 'chosen one' would be deemed unnecessary in Episode 1 because the Jedi expected the Sith to be extinct at this point. Of course Anakin's specific actions make the interpretation possible that culling the Jedi was a necessary first step to achieve a balance between good and evil...

Then again, the whole prophecy shenanigans weren't mentioned at all in the OT, so you can easily dismiss it as one of Lucas' unnecessary additions that was just thrown in for the Jedi to make an exception for taking in that random slave kid that was too old to get his attachment to his mom brainwashed out of him.

2 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

So the Death Star works.  As if the rebel fleet wasn't screwed enough already.  But why is it weirdly unfinished and open to space?  

Likely because getting the gun to work had the highest priority. XD

They learned from the first death star which used waterfall planning and took almost 30 years to build that they needed to be faster and cut cruft. So they decided on a minimal viable product - a gun and a throne room - and cut out everything else - hyperspace capacity, shields, fighters, troops, prisons, surface cannons, garbage disposal creatures, safety rails, etc

2 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

I love you.  I know.  A nice little reversal.  Incidentally, why is Leia a princess? She was adopted by Senator Matt Santos. Unless the title comes from her mum?

The short answer is because Alderaan is weird. Her adopted mom was a queen, married to a viceroy who was also their senator. She doesn't really know anything about Padme. I assume she learns at some point after Return of the Jedi. It's also not clear why she claims to remember her birth mother. 

53 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Meanwhile back on the Death Star it's the showdown to end all showdowns.  Luke dressed in black (why not Jedi robes?) comes face to face with the Emperor who is enjoying his new swivel chair a little too much. 

The robes worn by Kenobi in the first film are just his desert hermit outfit. They were then retconned into being Jedi robes in the prequels. Why would he hide in exile while wearing Jedi uniform?

The single coolest thing about this trilogy is that feelings and thoughts matter more than armies and lightsabers.  It's a duel of minds and wills between Luke and Anakin and Luke and the Emperor.  

Darth Vader reacts to the knowledge he has a daughter by immediately planning to recruit her.  Dad of the Year he is not.   

Archived