Star Wars: the First Time is always Special

Gaston de Foix

4 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:

3.  And this takes to me the third thing I disliked about the sequels which was the resolute focus on identity and identity crises particularly with regards to parentage/genetics.  It forces the entire story through the lens of a particular character, so that it's not about earning your role in the world or dealing with the crisis at hand.  Frodo takes the ring to Mordor because someone has to, not because he's the most important person at the Council of the Wise.  You need to earn your status as a hero not have it thrust upon you as an either/or alternative to villainhood.  

This is a very thoughtful and insightful analysis, and I think a lot of interesting things could be said along those lines.

But because I'm a jerk and this is just too easy, I'm going to post a link to the latest SMBC comic strip because it's just too perfect for this thread: https://www.smbc-comics.com/

4 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:

The problem was not introducing a new character but with failing to establish his malevolence, IMHO.

I thought his malevolence was established well enough in Force Awakens. He's the evil mastermind that built up a new Empire under the noses of the Republic until it was ready to take over the galaxy, and seduced Ben to the dark side simultaneously gaining himself a powerful apprentice and crippling the three greatest heroes of the Rebellion. But we only got a glimpse of him in TFA, and in TLJ, he's an overpowered joke. Kylo and Rey are supposed to be exceptionally strong in the Force, but Snoke is not merely stronger than them, but so strong that they're completely helpless before him (a dubious choice repeated with Palpatine in tRoS) and stupid enough that Kylo is able to trick him while he's literally reading Kylo's mind out loud.

On 6/18/2020 at 3:17 PM, felice said:

Presumably JJ intended Snoke to be the Big Bad for the final film, but TLJ killed him off prematurely. One of the problems with TLJ is that it really didn't seem to give any consideration to what would come next.

This presumes that there was an actual overall plan thought out at the start.  

It presumes that the powers that be actually had the writers and directors have actual conversations about what they were doing. 

Obviously, they all just chose to say, "fuck it" and be done with it all...

Archived