Star Wars: the First Time is always Special

Gaston de Foix

Great thread.

It reminds me of how I encountered the original trilogy- too young for IV or V at the cinema, I saw IV first on tv/video, then VI at the cinema, then had to wait maybe another year or so to see V as it was impossible to rent out. Not ideal, but I've since made up for it by watching them in order a million times.

Lando going off in search Han.  Luke/Leia heading to Tatooine. Is it just me or does Luke suddenly look older in the last scene?  And that's it.  Curtains.  A great movie.  Better than a New Hope for sure. 

Next up: the Return of the Jedi.  A homage to the Return of the King? Let's find out.  

9 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Sort of weird that Jabba the Hutt is being built up as a significant villain.  Wasn't he a small time dodgy dealer? Now he has a massive fortress. 

Considering how worried Bobba Fett was that Solo survives the freezing process, it was clear that Jabba was either offering a huge reward and/or is not someone who you want on your bad side. And Han is worried about Jabba sending bounty hunters after him at the start of Ep V.

Plus, since you started with the prequels, this should come as no surprise.

26 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Lando going off in search Han.  Luke/Leia heading to Tatooine. Is it just me or does Luke suddenly look older in the last scene?  And that's it.  Curtains.  A great movie.  Better than a New Hope for sure. 

Next up: the Return of the Jedi.  A homage to the Return of the King? Let's find out.  

Original title was Revenge of the Jedi. I forget what the reason for the change was, but pretty sure it's not a homage to ROTK.

Edit: I believe it has to do with Lucas realizing that revenge is not part of the Jedi ideology, and it would not fit thematically.

Just now, Corvinus85 said:

Considering how worried Bobba Fett was that Solo survives the freezing process, it was clear that Jabba was either offering a huge reward and/or is not something who you want on your bad side. And Han is worried about Jabba sending bounty hunters after him at the start of Ep V.

Plus, since you started with the prequels, this should come as no surprise.

True.  Fett is a nasty piece of work even there.  And Jabba's wasting no time demonstrating his dickishness.  

1 hour ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Leia declares her love to Han.  Only required torture and risk of imminent death to make up her mind.  Han accepts it as his due with an "I know", which is a great response (also a guy thing to do, to avoid the commitment of the customary response).

“I know.” Was supposedly from Harrison Ford. The line was supposed to be I love you, I love you too.

don’t know if thats true or not but interesting nonetheless

@Petridishes had a great line about Jabba: from Jabba the Hutt's perspective Star Wars is the story of a guy who owed him money and then instead of paying had his friends murder him.  Now that I've watched the scene, have to say some truth to that line. Jabba is Shylock without any of the redeeming qualities. 

First onscreen appearance of the Emperor.  Lot of subtext in his conversation with Vader.  My read is, he's paranoid about precisely the kind of alliance Vader mooted with Luke and wants to be present.  Vader accedes.  Good Nazi-inspired use of stormtroopers as background scenery.  Fascism, the nature of evil definitely key themes in the trilogy. 

Yoda is 900 years old? He was a Jedi for 400 years. Are the first 500 years the equivalent of reaching young adulthood in his species? Now that baby Yoda is a thing, I feel like a full life story would be interesting. 

Also we get an explanation for why he's not off wielding the lightsaber against the Emperor and Vader. He's sick and old. 

Archived