Book series recommendation after Asoiaf?

King Adrian Storm

I'm 18 years old and I resented reading books growing up. After I watched Game of Thrones I decided to read the books, and I absolutely loved them. Before I couldn't get through a 300 page book, and now I'm reading 1000 page books like it's nothing. After Asoiaf I tried to read Harry Potter but I couldn't get into it. Maybe it was hard to transition from War, rape, and politics to Magic school, mudbloods, and different dark arts teachers. The books were just too formulaic for me. One day I will try to read them all through, but for now I want to read something else. I'm currently rereading Asoiaf, but I'm going to try something else after that. I have the Lotr and the hobbit, which I'm definitely going to read, even if I'm bored by them. My question is what else is out there that would intrigue me if I like Asoiaf. I know someone who's been recommending me Wheel of Time. I really want to read it, but I'm worried I might not like it as much. If there is someone who has read WoT, please give me a spoiler free review of the series and reasons I should read it.

Besides that, are there any other series out there? Like I said I haven't been a big reader, so I don't know many book franchises out there.

There's a lot of fantasy books. Unfortunately majority of them are not so good. I recommend:

- a series of three thrilogies by Robin Hobb, each book is a continuation of the previous:

The Farseer Trilogy: 1. Assassin's Apprentice; 2. Royal Assassin; 3. Assassin's Quest;

The Tawny Man Trilogy: 4. Fool's Errand; 5. Golden Fool; 6. Fool's Fate;

The Fitz and the Fool Trilogy: 7. Fool's Assassin; 8. Fool's Quest; 9. Assassin's Quest.

All of them are here, summaries, reviews, etc.:

https://www.goodreads.com/series/54099-realm-of-the-elderlings

So far the best after ASOIAF, out of those that I have read, is The Kingkiller Chronicle, it's a trilogy, one book is still not out:

https://www.goodreads.com/series/45262-the-kingkiller-chronicle

Gentleman Bastard series, out of 7 planned books so far only 3 are out, and the next one is going to be published in October of 2021. I'm now reading first book of this series, it's not as good as ASOIAF, though on its front cover is written: "Fresh, original, and engrossing... Gorgeously realised - George R.R. Martin". So GRRM gave his praise to this book.

https://www.goodreads.com/series/43531-gentleman-bastard

I have several books in my list that I haven't read yet, but I was told by other people that this books are readable:

- also a thrilogy, completed -

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9579634-prince-of-thorns

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12891107-king-of-thorns

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15985373-emperor-of-thorns

I started to read this thrilogy, on first book yet:

https://www.goodreads.com/series/43644-the-first-law

Two more thrilogies, completed (haven't read them yet):

https://www.goodreads.com/series/81339-raven-s-shadow

https://www.goodreads.com/series/199281-wolf-of-the-north

2 minutes ago, Frey family reunion said:

There will be no "after ASOIAF".  When the last books finally comes out, the rapture begins.  

After Lost TV-series ended people were saying that there never will be anything as good as was Lost. But then we got The Walking Dead and The Game of Thrones. So, never say never. There will be life and other books even after ASOIAF ^_^

1 minute ago, Megorova said:

After Lost TV-series ended people were saying that there never will be anything as good as was Lost. But then we got The Walking Dead and The Game of Thrones. So, never say never. There will be life and other books even after ASOIAF ^_^

It’s a nice thought, but I’m afraid not.  One of the signs of the Apocalypse is when the red rooster crows (Bantam publishing), the book that none could hope for (A Dream of Spring) will suddenly appear.  

Bernard Cornwell has written some pretty good books. His books and series arent really full on fiction. More like a fictional character put into certain eras of our own history e.g. viking era, middle ages, Napoleonic wars, american civil war etc. But they are definitely worth a read.

One of his most recent series is the Saxon series. It is a well written series about an anglo-saxon boy raised with danes during the Great heathens army invasion of england. It spams 12 books and the last book is due to come out this october. Their is also a tv series called the last kingdom which is adapted from the books (tv show is decent considering they have a limited budget.)

Other than that he has made other great series like sharpe, warlord, the grail quest, and others. 

Bernard is very good at creating a fictional character and being able to fit this character into an historical scenario without ruining or changing the history of that certain period. 

If you are into historical-political stories, I would recommend a few. You may like these if you are more interested in the political machinations of ASOIAF like me, rather than the fantasy side.

I would recommend the Cicero trilogy by Robert Harris (Imperium, Lustrum, and Dictator). I’ve only read the first one, Imperium, and I haven’t been able to get hold of the others due to the pandemic, but it was a great read. It is set in the Roman Republic, and follows the life of Cicero, in his journey to become Senator. However, the entire story is told from the point of view of Cicero’s personal slave, which I found interesting.

I would also recommend Conn Iggulden’s series Wars Of The Roses, set in the period ASOIAF is partly based on. They follow several POVs through the Wars of the Roses, and are a great series. 

Also, I would recommend Blood and Beauty, by Sarah Dunant. I was a bit cautious at first, since the book is set in Renaissance Italy, which I was not much interested in. But they were great books, very similar to ASOIAF, with multiple POVs, plenty of political games and a fair bit of war too. The book follows the rise to power of the Borgia family, with the patriarch Rodrigo, a Cardinal at the book’s beginning, and his children, who all have distinct personalities and motivations. This one I would recommend the most highly.

For a shorter read I would recommend Dissolution by CJ Sansom. It follows a lawyer as he attempts to unravel a murder at a monastery in Tudor England, set in the period where Henry VIII was preparing to dissolve all the monasteries in the country. It is more of a mystery book than the grand historical narratives from Wars of the Roses or Blood and Beauty, but it proves that you don’t need kings or lords, or massive battles to tell a compelling story.

If you are into fantasy more, I would recommend His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman. They are fairly well known, but if you don’t know, they are about a world similar to ours, but containing different elements of science and magic.

1 minute ago, McGuv19 said:

For a shorter read I would recommend Dissolution by CJ Sansom. It follows a lawyer as he attempts to unravel a murder at a monastery in Tudor England, set in the period where Henry VIII was preparing to dissolve all the monasteries in the country. It is more of a mystery book than the grand historical narratives from Wars of the Roses or Blood and Beauty, but it proves that you don’t need kings or lords, or massive battles to tell a compelling story.

Dissolution is awesome, and I love CJ Sansom’s style, and he is a historian, which helps in this type of story. But I would also add all his other books, and especially the Shardlake ones. 

I have been reading the Dune series by Frank Herbert. I read Dune a while ago and had some friends tell me I would probably enjoy the rest of the series since I loved the depth, politics, and fantasy of asoiaf. And by the old gods, they were right! I'm currently about to start God Emperor of Dune (book 4). I honestly haven't burned through a book or series like this since my last re-read of asoiaf. Definitely add it to your list among the many other great recommendations here. 

7 hours ago, Ser Leftwich said:

Absolutely "Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn" by Tad Williams.

Anything by Joe Abercrombie.

@King Adrian Storm What specific aspects of ASOIAF do you like? We can try to tailor recs based on more specific likes.

joe abercombie did 3 (more like 2.5) great books and has been living of them since then. I think you are being pretty mean recomending all his books. shame on you.

If your into Sci Fi the expanse books are great( there's a few companion novellas too). Eight books out currently with a Ninth and Final on the way. 

I recommend it because it has a similar chapter structure to ASOIAF, with the chapters switching between a few POV characters, and it's a fairly well realized universe. Also has some similar polictal machinations and such, and several different morally grey factions.

Plus there is a series on Amazon with a fifth season due to air this year.

Edit: forgot to mention it's by James S.A. Corey, who is apparently two people.

Archived