8th anniversary... So, do I stop being the n00b now? :D

Mladen

I remember when I was still ranging north of the Wall, there was a poster who literally had the most batshit insane theories about ASOIAF. I shit you not, I thought it was performance art for a while.

3 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

I remember when I was still ranging north of the Wall, there was a poster who literally had the most batshit insane theories about ASOIAF. I shit you not, I thought it was performance art for a while.

Let's not revisit my past.

4 minutes ago, DMC said:

Let's not revisit my past.

Believe or not, it wasn't you...unless you changed your avatar name.

28 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Only one?

But yeah, I think I have a vague memory of the person you're referring to.

"North of the Wall"  Ha! That's good. Haven't been there in ages.

1 minute ago, Rippounet said:

Only one?

But yeah, I think I have a vague memory of the person you're referring to.

"North of the Wall"  Ha! That's good. Haven't been there in ages.

Point taken. There were several, but one in particular that just drove me batty.

I went back up there when I was hate-watching the last few seasons. Good times!

3 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Point taken. There were several, but one in particular that just drove me batty.

But I really think I remember the guy... I remember -very vaguely- one of his posts... It was so crazy... Something about Dany, a dream, and Ned. Something about Ned being in Dany's dreams and coming back for her? I think the idea was that Ned was not dead but hiding as a faceless man... Something like that. Except that was just the beginning... There was also stuff about time travel and/or teleportation in there... And I think he was trying to show that Ned and Dany were destined to end together, maybe saying that Ned and Drogo were the same person all along (?). Sorry, the memory's really really faint. But his theories were always like that.
Of course the most insane part was that he had more than one of those.
I remember thinking the guy had to be on something pretty strong (weed or cocaine wouldn't explain that level of craziness).

3 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

But I really think I remember the guy... I remember -very vaguely- one of his posts... It was so crazy... Something about Dany, a dream, and Ned. Something about Ned being in Dany's dreams and coming back for her? I think the idea was that Ned was not dead but hiding as a faceless man... Something like that. Except that was just the beginning... There was also stuff about time travel and/or teleportation in there... And I think he was trying to show that Ned and Dany were destined to end together, maybe saying that Ned and Drogo were the same person all along (?). Sorry, the memory's really really faint. But his theories were always like that.
Of course the most insane part was that he had more than one of those.
I remember thinking the guy had to be on something pretty strong (weed or cocaine wouldn't explain that level of craziness).

Lmao! I remember that one! And I'm pretty sure it was the same poster I was thinking of. They had a TON of just batshit crazy posts.

Iirc, someone compiled a greatest hits list.

1 hour ago, Raja said:

Wut. I missed out on the good wife threads.

What we really need is the good fight threads now.

There never was much on Good Fight.  Being on a streaming service and all...but since I had it for Picard, I did catch it all up.  It's better than Good Wife.  Sad the fourth season was only seven episodes...

Gotta say, I don't think I interacted with most of you when I posted up there, but I do remember arguing with you, @Rippounet, on multiple occasions.  Not sure exactly what about, but I assure you I was right and you were wrong.

18 minutes ago, DMC said:

Gotta say, I don't think I interacted with most of you when I posted up there, but I do remember arguing with you, @Rippounet, on multiple occasions.  Not sure exactly what about, but I assure you I was right and you were wrong.

No shit! I was always convinced (and mildly surprised) that I never interacted with the same people up there and down here. In fact, the only people I saw for sure both north and south of the Wall are Lord Varys and Ran. Also Ygrain, who popped up recently in one of the covid threads.

Edit: Ah, going through my old threads, I see @HelenaExMachina mocked one of my theories 5 years ago. And she was right to do so too. :P

It's actually kinda heartwarming to know that we did actually discuss the books at some point. :P

2 minutes ago, Triskele said:

I remember this theory that Stannis was the Night King, and the guy (not sure if it's the same poster) had paragraphs on this, and it was like crazy but crazy like a fox or a foxbat or some kind.  

I guess book-wise we still don't know for sure it's not true, lol.  

I think that might have been the same poster. The one that stands out for me was some theory about Brienne was actually the one who birthed the shadow baby who killed Renly, and she was actually a Red Priestess? It was nuts.

29 minutes ago, Triskele said:

I remember this theory that Stannis was the Night King

Yeah seen plenty of that over the years.  I guess what disabused me, and I'm just rambling here, is so many posters identifying or arguing for a certain fictional fucking character.  As if it mattered who liked or didn't like Jon, or Tyrion, or Dany.  The whole thing just makes me want to say this:

I remember one poster who spent hours arguing that Varys' "little birds" were actual trained birds who somehow could hear and repeat phrases that people said in King's Landing.  It was... Not impossible I guess.

44 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I remember one poster who spent hours arguing that Varys' "little birds" were actual trained birds who somehow could hear and repeat phrases that people said in King's Landing.  It was... Not impossible I guess.

I remember that one too.

Hey, happy boardniversary, Mladen. :)

I joined the forum after a few weeks of lurking when I found a thread that discussed translations of ASOIAF in different languages - that was the first thread I posted in. Coincidentally, right now that I remember that, I managed to get my own first translations that I am actually going to be paid for, published in a literary magazine - I got the issue on Friday.

Back then, there were very frequent threads discussing what Brienne's last word in AFFC was, and threads criticising Cat, Dany, Cersei and Sansa.

8 hours ago, Raja said:

I still have zero idea what goes on in forum games.

We have a lot of fun and don't collect post numbers, basically.

8 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

I was terrified of the assho....errr...elders down here.  :ph34r:

I still am. :uhoh: 

6 hours ago, The Great Unwashed said:

You mean, the one about Sandor and Gregor Clegane being brothers?

The first years here I spend being properly amazed by the Stannis love. I remember having to reread Davos' chapters just to understand it.

"Sansa is the worst person in Westeros" thread remains one of the best trolling I have ever seen.

6 hours ago, DMC said:

Not sure exactly what about, but I assure you I was right and you were wrong.

I agree with this... I was right and YOU (whoever you may be) were wrong :D

That said, I don't know why but I was very, very rude back then. Honest to God, I don't get it how or why, but I am ashamed of going back through all of that.

I’ve been here just over 8 years too now, though I post significantly less than I did. An embarrassing number of my posts were in the book forum in my first 2 years, after which I lost interest. I think it’s amazing how long I’ve been here yet still consider myself a n00b. The recent thread about old boarders, where the old boarders started appearing out of the woodwork was a strong reminder of this, though it was very sweet to read.

Archived