8th anniversary... So, do I stop being the n00b now? :D

Mladen

9 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

There never was much on Good Fight.  Being on a streaming service and all...but since I had it for Picard, I did catch it all up.  It's better than Good Wife.  Sad the fourth season was only seven episodes...

I actually didn't finish the good wife - I watched about 3-4 seasons and it didn't stick. But yes, I agree with you about the good fight, I'm only on the second season but I like it quite a bit more than the good wife.

I watch shows years after they come out, it takes me ages to get around to shows I want to watch :unsure:

8 hours ago, Rippounet said:

No shit! I was always convinced (and mildly surprised) that I never interacted with the same people up there and down here. In fact, the only people I saw for sure both north and south of the Wall are Lord Varys and Ran. Also Ygrain, who popped up recently in one of the covid threads.

Edit: Ah, going through my old threads, I see @HelenaExMachina mocked one of my theories 5 years ago. And she was right to do so too. :P

It's actually kinda heartwarming to know that we did actually discuss the books at some point. :P

I have no idea which theory it was but I've been pretty disdainful of many theories in my time :P Particularly anything post-WOIAF involving oily stone and/or astronomy...

I joined in 2014, shortly before I started university. (I remember I was here when I got my results to confirm my place). I arrived after the show started, but before I had watched any of the show. By the time I joined the general forum discussions were already pretty tired and nuts. I posted a lot in forum games when I first started

21 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Pretty sure everyone’s a noob until their post count exceeds their join number :p

So I have a theoretical chance but realistically will never make it.

4 hours ago, Mladen said:

The first years here I spend being properly amazed by the Stannis love. I remember having to reread Davos' chapters just to understand it.

I still don't understand it.

2 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Pretty sure everyone’s a noob until their post count exceeds their join number :p

That is ... a bit uneven criteria, no?

11 hours ago, Maithanet said:

I remember one poster who spent hours arguing that Varys' "little birds" were actual trained birds who somehow could hear and repeat phrases that people said in King's Landing.  It was... Not impossible I guess.

No Varys theory was worse than he was secretly Joffrey's mother. It was funny, and I have yet to ever go into the book section again. 

3 hours ago, Raja said:

I actually didn't finish the good wife - I watched about 3-4 seasons and it didn't stick. But yes, I agree with you about the good fight, I'm only on the second season but I like it quite a bit more than the good wife.

Season 5 of TGW was the best. I am huge fan of "Hitting the fan" episode.

That said, The Good Fight is immensely more fun. I feel like they totally deconstructed TGW in the very first scene with Diane's famous f-word :D

3 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

So, 30 000 posts to go :D

Well, that will happen if we get TWOW. Sansa threads alone will get 10 000 posts :D

4 hours ago, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

I’ve been here just over 8 years too now, though I post significantly less than I did. An embarrassing number of my posts were in the book forum in my first 2 years, after which I lost interest. I think it’s amazing how long I’ve been here yet still consider myself a n00b. The recent thread about old boarders, were the old boarders started appearing out of the woodwork was a strong reminder of this, though it was very sweet to read.

I find Entertainment forum far more... entertaining :D

It's nice to have someone to share the love for American TV :D

I came up in the fl00b, some people I remember being active in the book threads at the same time were @Elder Sister (my all time favorite poster) and @butterbumps!.  I spent a few weeks posting there and then started shit posting constantly here.  Pretty much exclusively trolled at the beginning.  ***Mitch Hedburg voice***  I used to troll, I still do, but I used to, too.

4 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Particularly anything post-WOIAF involving oily stone and/or astronomy...

HA!  Yeah all those astronomy threads I'd get two paragraphs in before I wasn't either banging my head on the desk or falling asleep.

39 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

I came up in the fl00b, some people I remember being active in the book threads at the same time were @Elder Sister (my all time favorite poster) and @butterbumps!.

I recall butters being active in the book threads when I was as well.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Oh, dear bumps... No one has educated me more about Internet language than she did

2 hours ago, DMC said:

HA!  Yeah all those astronomy threads I'd get two paragraphs in before I wasn't either banging my head on the desk or falling asleep.

What baffled me was the popularity. I guess this falls into the quantity over quality explanation - lots of words therefore it must be correct!

6 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I guess this falls into the quantity over quality explanation - lots of words therefore it must be correct!

Guess I missed out a bit because, yeah, some of the threads from what's his name were so detailed it seemed like he was essentially using ASOIAF to writeup an astronomy lecture.

19 minutes ago, DMC said:

Guess I missed out a bit because, yeah, some of the threads from what's his name

Lucifer is lightbringer (or something like that)?

He was a cool guy (I remember exchanging a bit with him at the time). But yeah, his ASOAIF threads were longer and more detailed than mort scholarly articles I read or write.

24 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

Lucifer is lightbringer (or something like that)?

Right, something like that.  I was trying to think exactly, but damn I can't remember.  Getting old filled with booze and weed is not the greatest tonic for memory.

i am 8 yrs old this month as well...the day after D-day

i tried out the book threads but i had never even speculated about theories so i was quickly shunned since i fucked with everyone...

then i went straight to gen chat and discovered the real underbelly of the forum...luckily @Elder Sister, @Fragile Bird, and @Bonesy saved me from myself....

:bowdown:

On 6/14/2020 at 2:33 PM, DMC said:

Right, something like that.  I was trying to think exactly, but damn I can't remember.  Getting old filled with booze and weed is not the greatest tonic for memory.

...i would challenge this assertion...

if i didn't have to blaze a bowl and suck back this shot of tequila ... but i shall return to this issue

if i remember

You fl00bs  and n00bs will always be that. Just like a mother always sees her children as her babies.

Others won't see you that way as you become elder statesmen of the Board. And while I may recognized that you have grown and matured into fine posters, you'll always be those cute little fl00bs of my memories.

On 6/14/2020 at 1:06 PM, Derfel Cadarn said:

Didn't that number use to be on my profile page?

I'll never reach it, but I suddenly wondered what it is.

12 minutes ago, Rorshach said:

Didn't that number use to be on my profile page?

I'll never reach it, but I suddenly wondered what it is.

Just look at the URL for your profile.  19,503 for you.

Archived