How will Jon's appearance change after he is ressurected?

King Adrian Storm

Jon needs to die.  Otherwise the readers will become indifferent to death and stop fearing for their favorite characters.  Kill Jon and keep him dead to keep the story interesting. 

Resurrection and reversal of death has been used too much as a plot device already. 

1 hour ago, divica said:

Where is the relation between fainting and problems breathing? People faint because of several reasons. And we are in jon's head so we know he doesn t have problems breathing, talking and doesn t have acute pain that a severe hound causes in his neck. And jon is so shocked that he disarmed 1 dude and tried to take his weapon out... He is pretty aware of things...

LOL, no we don't know that, we are not in his head there, we are seeing and perceiving some things perceives, and then we got some fragmented thoughts, that is.

You can compare it with Kevan's death scene - Jon doesn't feel anything and faints, Kevan feels cold all the time and wants his big brother.

1 hour ago, divica said:

Just because you want it to be a deadly wound doesn t make it so. All evidence points the other way...

I don't want it to be that way, I just think it is or might be. It helps to explain the faining. George isn't a physican, after all, and you don't have to be to discuss those books.

1 hour ago, divica said:

As you said nobody's cause of death is daggers… And given that mel knew he was going to be in danger of dying there are very good probabilities of some magic rescue… The longer he remains alive the higher are his chances of being healed.

Nope, there are no such propabilities. If Mel wanted to save Jon, he wouldn't have been stabbed. And of course daggers can kill people - and did kill Jon Snow - because they inflicted the mortal wounds. And they are going to kill Kevan, too, by the way.

1 hour ago, divica said:

Seriously, you just decided that jon is dead and ignore everything else that doesn t suit that narrative...

What reason to I have to consider 'alternatives'?

1 hour ago, divica said:

You do know jon is surrounded by people right? That the wildling he named trainer for the new recruits is pretty close because he was trying to calm wun wun? There are dozens of people that might intervene after they realize jon is being attacked. We are talking about the lord comander being attacked! Even queensmen might want to save the LC. Hell, the fucking giant might try to help jon because if you read the story you would know they spend a lot of time talking...

There is so much commotion there nobody is going to see what happened - nor intervene when they realize what has happened. The murderous giant is a pretty good diversion. But even if they saw what happened immediately and wanted to save Jon Snow with all their hearts - they are obviously too late. The guy is dead, or will be in a couple of seconds because they should be able to give scores of blows in light of the fact that they are with Jon, and those author 'Jon saviors' are not.

1 hour ago, divica said:

This is literature, so if a character receives a fatal wound he describes it as a scratch? No pain or other efects? It is a scratch, faint and death… Does this sound good to you?

I don't like it that Jon died, but that doesn't change the fact that he died.

1 hour ago, divica said:

Poison isn t na explanation because it doesn t fit your wishes. We have a neck wound described as a scratch that doesn t cause pain, breathing problems or talking problems but that for some reason you know was very severe against all logic. Then we have jon that doesn t feel dizzy, have double vision, weakness, trouble standing or other common simptoms I relate to bloodloss. His hands became stiff and clumsy We can justify the stiffness with the cold, but if jon's only other simptoms are clumsiness then it just is much more likely related to poison than bloodlosss. We have no reason to believe the first stab wound caused a severe bloodloss but on the other hand a scratch of a poisoned blade can perfectly explain his simptoms...

A poisoned blade? What nonsense is this?

1 hour ago, divica said:

It is obvious that the dagger stabed jon. But given the clothes he must be wearing it should also be ovious that a big part of the length of the daggers couldn t harm him. Even in the show we see the kind of clothes people are wearing in that climate. they are very thick… It is once again a pain that it doesn t fit with the scenario you created but the stabings just can t be as severe as they would be in normal situations...

I don't create scenarios, I read and interpret the text. And the text says the dagger was buried in Jon's belly.

And again - that scratch wound had blood welling between Jon's fingers when he looked at him, not at his neck. When did blood ever well from your fingers? I'd assume when you had a very serious injury at your fingers/hand, not when you touched a scratch at your neck that wasn't all that serious. Then your fingers would be wet with blood, full of blood, dripping with blood, but there would be no welling going on.

But this makes sense if blood was pumping out of the neck wound, Jon touched it and effectively had a handful of blood in his hand.

1 hour ago, divica said:

And we aren t talking about a well tought assassination. This was a desperate attack done by stewards that aren t fighters. 

All men of the NW are trained fighters. There is no indication that this wasn't a well-thought and well-planned assassination - it doesn't have to be, but I expect it was because the signs point in that direction.

1 hour ago, divica said:

seriously? is there a point in comenting this?

You don't have to.

I do not think the neck wound and how it bleeds is very important. Jon got stabbed several times, 3 or maybe more when he fainted and fell. He was stabbed with daggers (daggers blade lenght spans from 15 to 30cm afaik) and passed out, probably because of blood loss. It takes some luck to survive multiple stabs even from a pocket knife, and black brothers should be more competent killers than hoolies from neighbourhood. I do not know how he may be alive without any magical intervention.

13 hours ago, The Map Guy said:

Jon is dead guys, give it a rest!

Like Lord Varys said, it would just be a cheap trick putting Jon in a coma.

How does Jon being in a coma for ~half of TWOW going to push the story forward at the Wall? Who's POV would be at the Wall then? Mel, a priestess of a religion that can resurrect the dead?

If Jon gets killed and Mel resurrects him quickly, Jon will be back in action real soon in TWOW ... no need to wait for months in a coma. And the quicker Mel works, the less Jon will change as a fire-wight.

How does making Jon (R+L) being a fire-wight push the story forward? Well he may get super powers!! ... immunity from turning into an ice-wight after he dies again!

Healing from coma = cheap trick

Resurrection and gaining super powers = not a cheap trick, apparently.

I am sure Jon will come back.  George Martin was disappointed when Gandalf was brought back to life.  He came back more powerful too.  And George would have preferred he stayed dead.  He has said so many times.  However, I do not think George will do anything different with his own story.  He may be using this trick to mislead the reader into thinking he will never bring back the dead.  The pattern though shows he has.  He brought back Beric and Catelyn.  He will bring back Jon Snow in some shape or form.  At least long enough for him to do what he wants to do, stop the White Walkers or take their side and help defeat the humans.  Whichever way.  Jon will be back.  Ice wight, fire wight, whichever.  I lean towards Ice wight because he is the second coming of the Night's King. 

3 hours ago, Mithras said:

Jon's arc is in the north, yes? So he does need supernatural abilities, because mere mortals just freeze to death in winter. All the dragonglass in the world can't help you if you're freezing to death.

To avoid cheapness, the hero usually endures a severe trial or pays a heavy price for his/her powers. Dany walked into the pyre. AA murdered his much-loved wife. Bran became a cripple and lost his dreams of knighthood. Beric lost his life story, his identity. All part of the journey, all pushing the story forward.

Jon brushing off the daggers with only light injuries would be cheap, and to no purpose. Jon in a painless coma - in the world of the supernatural undead, but just for a visit, to be restored to health and kingship and happy-ever-after with lovely Val - well, that feels cheap to me too. It feels like an insult to Bran and Brienne and Davos and all the people who really paid and won't be restored.

However, cheapness is the defining characteristic of Jon's arc so far. He got his VS sword cheap. He got his high command cheap. He got the friendship of the Wildings cheap. It is simply not true to say he earned these remarkable things. The going rate for saving a lord's life is a promotion, or a tower or something equivalent. Sandor's grandfather didn't get a priceless heirloom, nor did Pod. The rank of Lord Commander usually goes to someone with experience. And the wildlings usually repay treachery with death. As I see it.

I think I get it. Jon is really, truly loved by his genuine gods. He is that hero out of legend. So not only all the lovely plot gifts (not forgetting the special wolf), but also super-strength, and top level fighting skills (must be god-given - when we first knew him, he was about level with Robb, who was about level with Joffrey).

But - none of the god-stuff has been clarified yet, and it's been such a long time, impatience with Jon's story has turned into real, active dislike. And that's not an irrational hatred of long-faced boys, it's just I can't digest his arc on face value. GRRM, give us the twist!

4 hours ago, Mithras said:

You are reading a fantasy series, you know.

3 hours ago, Widowmaker 811 said:

I am sure Jon will come back.  George Martin was disappointed when Gandalf was brought back to life.  He came back more powerful too.  And George would have preferred he stayed dead.  He has said so many times.  However, I do not think George will do anything different with his own story.  He may be using this trick to mislead the reader into thinking he will never bring back the dead.  The pattern though shows he has.  He brought back Beric and Catelyn.  He will bring back Jon Snow in some shape or form.  At least long enough for him to do what he wants to do, stop the White Walkers or take their side and help defeat the humans.  Whichever way.  Jon will be back.  Ice wight, fire wight, whichever.  I lean towards Ice wight because he is the second coming of the Night's King. 

The Gandalf thing is very specific in the LotR setting. George was devastated by Gandalf's death when he read the first book and thought it a very powerful scene which raised the stakes because the people had to continue on without their father figure.

Bringing Gandalf back destroyed all that, even more so since Gandalf came back even more powerful.

Jon Snow isn't ASoIaF's Gandalf - that was Ned, and he isn't going to come back.

But you are right there that George isn't going to bring back Jon to turn him into a 'Gandalf the White' kind of guy, nor will he bring about this resurrection without some severe sacrifices/losses/changing involving his character and persona.

The main reason why our Jon fanboys and fangirls won't want to think/admit that Jon Snow is dead is because with this author they cannot expect that everything will be fine for 'zombie Jon' or 'resurrected Jon'. Even if he isn't Beric or Cat, he will be like them, to a point, and that's going to close the door on many possible plotlines, including 'King Jon' or 'great hero Jon who saves the day and lives happily ever after'.

A zombie/undead/resurrected guy is not going to get the girl in the end, is not going to sit the throne, is not going to count coppers, etc.

He might still save the day and contribute greatly to the survival of mankind, but he will go down like Frodo, losing himself and his mental and physical health in the process of all that. And since George isn't as sentimental as Tolkien, Jon Snow is not going to go into the West as a metaphor for dying - he actually will die in the end.

Anything else doesn't really make a lot of sense in this setting.

1 hour ago, Springwatch said:

But - none of the god-stuff has been clarified yet, and it's been such a long time, impatience with Jon's story has turned into real, active dislike. And that's not an irrational hatred of long-faced boys, it's just I can't digest his arc on face value. GRRM, give us the twist!

I don't like that twist very much - but it is there, and it has to go all the way to the end or turn out to be the cheapest filler episode ever. And all the way to the end means (sort of) death and (sort of) resurrection in the sense that they will pry his spirit from his wolf and put it back into his resurrected corpse. That's what they will do. Any other scenario pretty much has no merit at all in the overall context of the story.

And even that is sort of cheap because if George wanted to kill and resurrect him he should have had the courage to make him into another Beric or Catelyn - but he apparently doesn't have that courage. Which is also part of the reason why I don't like the plot as it is.

4 hours ago, Springwatch said:

Jon's arc is in the north, yes? So he does need supernatural abilities, because mere mortals just freeze to death in winter. All the dragonglass in the world can't help you if you're freezing to death.

To avoid cheapness, the hero usually endures a severe trial or pays a heavy price for his/her powers. Dany walked into the pyre. AA murdered his much-loved wife. Bran became a cripple and lost his dreams of knighthood. Beric lost his life story, his identity. All part of the journey, all pushing the story forward.

Jon brushing off the daggers with only light injuries would be cheap, and to no purpose. Jon in a painless coma - in the world of the supernatural undead, but just for a visit, to be restored to health and kingship and happy-ever-after with lovely Val - well, that feels cheap to me too. It feels like an insult to Bran and Brienne and Davos and all the people who really paid and won't be restored.

However, cheapness is the defining characteristic of Jon's arc so far. He got his VS sword cheap. He got his high command cheap. He got the friendship of the Wildings cheap. It is simply not true to say he earned these remarkable things. The going rate for saving a lord's life is a promotion, or a tower or something equivalent. Sandor's grandfather didn't get a priceless heirloom, nor did Pod. The rank of Lord Commander usually goes to someone with experience. And the wildlings usually repay treachery with death. As I see it.

I think I get it. Jon is really, truly loved by his genuine gods. He is that hero out of legend. So not only all the lovely plot gifts (not forgetting the special wolf), but also super-strength, and top level fighting skills (must be god-given - when we first knew him, he was about level with Robb, who was about level with Joffrey).

I do see the cheapness of Jon's arc as you say, but I always saw most of it as coming from his Stark privilege. He knows how to read when few in the NW do, so the choices for LC are already very limited. TWOIAF says that the Starks rather than the IT have been propping the NW for a very long time so a Snow-Stark LC has massive benefits there. The wildlings certainly see the value of holding Ned Stark's son raised at Winterfell and bff of the Robb the King in the North when they want on the other side of that Wall. Ironically, Jon only sees his disadvantage as a bastard and that's an interesting contrast for me personally.

As for Jon just brushing off his injuries, I don't see it happening that way. Jon is very skilled at repressing things and they're coming up and he hasn't dealt with it well. He's been literally stabbed in the back by his "brothers" and that will result in him struggling to trust. Jojen warned Bran to not spend too long in Summer or wolf will consume the man, but Jon has had no such warning and he already has sensory/identity confusion where Ghost is concerned in ADWD. In parallel to Bran and also as we see with the permanent injury to Jon's hand, I don't think he'll magically 100% recover. He's already King but doesn't know it (ask Robb and Stannis) but I wouldn't want that responsibility given the situation and I don't think anyone in that world is getting any sort of HEA with everything that's coming (Euron, Dany's dragons, ice zombies and their overlords...)

But I kinda see what you mean. The idealization of Jon as Westerosi Jesus has made me have to dissociate the Jon from the books whom I like a lot with some of the fandom's idea of Jon who is just nauseating.  

20 hours ago, 300 H&H Magnum said:

Jon needs to die.  Otherwise the readers will become indifferent to death and stop fearing for their favorite characters.  Kill Jon and keep him dead to keep the story interesting. 

Resurrection and reversal of death has been used too much as a plot device already. 

:agree:

10 hours ago, Mithras said:

Getting slashed & stabbed multiple times and not die = cheap trick

See example, TV Spoilers:

Spoiler

Anyone in the Jon-Does-Not-Die-After-Getting-Slashed-and-Stabbed Club is on the same boat as the writers of that GoT Season 6 scene :P

Besides, if Jon in a coma, he will be absent the majority of TWOW. Even when he wakes up, he will not be able to hold a sword nor command & lead the Night's Watch. If ALL this happens, what would be Jon's plot after he wakes up? Will there even be a Night's Watch by then?

Resurrection and gaining super powers = not a cheap trick, apparently

Is Lady Stoneheart a cheap trick?

Besides, if Jon is a secret Stark-Targaryen, he has been around ice too much in his life. It is about time he gets some R'hllor's flames to awaken the Fire in his Blood!

Anyways, the super-powers Jon would get are defensive super-powers, not offensive. Like Springwatch said, Jon can be immune to the cold and freezing to death. Perhaps as a fire-wight, you can NEVER be turned into an ice-wight after you get killed in action.

There will always be a need for a night's watch in some shape or form.  Martin is not going to remove the threat to mankind.  He wants to keep the fear in people, within and outside the novels.  And you know, he just loves to keep the reader in a state of uncertainty.  We may even see the 5 Forts being used again.  Ice is not going away because it is the representation of death.  

Jon is not coming back with a suntan.  He won't look like a Hawaiian sunset.  His blood has leaked out.  Cold-blooded in every sense of the word.  Like, dare I say, Lady Stoneheart.  He was thinking of Arya and revenge at the end of his life.  He will come back stuck on the same thoughts.  I could be wrong but he will be the Alpha wolf of the Stark wolf pack.  He and Arya will finally break free from human customs and can live on as mates.  

16 hours ago, Widowmaker 811 said:

There will always be a need for a night's watch in some shape or form.  Martin is not going to remove the threat to mankind.  He wants to keep the fear in people, within and outside the novels.  And you know, he just loves to keep the reader in a state of uncertainty.  We may even see the 5 Forts being used again.  Ice is not going away because it is the representation of death.  

I really dislike that way of thinking. 

If the NW continues then it must evolve. Why have an order that only cares about one threat to mankind that only appears sporadically? 

There are so many wrongdoings that the NW could be fighting... Slavery, mad religions, cruel lords... To me the NW must become some knight order like the Templars or teutonic knights that acted outside of any country's king power. It is something that is clearly lacking in westeros... 

10 hours ago, divica said:

I really dislike that way of thinking. 

If the NW continues then it must evolve. Why have an order that only cares about one threat to mankind that only appears sporadically? 

There are so many wrongdoings that the NW could be fighting... Slavery, mad religions, cruel lords... To me the NW must become some knight order like the Templars or teutonic knights that acted outside of any country's king power. It is something that is clearly lacking in westeros... 

They have evolved.  The NW kept the Wildlings from corrupting the south lands for most of its existence.  The extreme libertarianism of the free folk was a constant threat to law and order.   They defend the northern border against outside threats.  

On 6/17/2020 at 6:12 AM, The Map Guy said:

Getting slashed & stabbed multiple times and not die = cheap trick

See example, TV Spoilers:

Except we did not see Jon getting those wounds. We don't know how deep those daggers were able to penetrate. Not to mention, Jon was wearing shit tonnes of clothing in that cold and he was staying in Noye's quarters and there was a Chekhov's chain mail on his desk in the same book where Roose wore a mail under his tunic while passing Moat Cailin. That is the thing with the written medium.

Besides, if Jon in a coma, he will be absent the majority of TWOW.

Just like Bran was absent for the majority of AGoT while he was in a coma?

Is Lady Stoneheart a cheap trick?

Don't get me started on Lady Stoneheart. It is one of GRRM's worst mistakes so far, which he stubbornly clinges onto. I am patiently waiting for TWoW to see what on earth GRRM will do with her. In any scenario, I expect a monumental failure which I will gladly roast.

Besides, if Jon is a secret Stark-Targaryen, he has been around ice too much in his life. It is about time he gets some R'hllor's flames to awaken the Fire in his Blood!

Anyways, the super-powers Jon would get are defensive super-powers, not offensive. Like Springwatch said, Jon can be immune to the cold and freezing to death. Perhaps as a fire-wight, you can NEVER be turned into an ice-wight after you get killed in action.

Cheap trick. I thought people liked ASOIAF because it was supposed to be a grown up fantasy series.

Except we did not see Jon getting those wounds. We don't know how deep those daggers were able to penetrate. Not to mention, Jon was wearing shit tonnes of clothing in that cold and he was staying in Noye's quarters and there was a Chekhov's chain mail on his desk in the same book where Roose wore a mail under his tunic while passing Moat Cailin. That is the thing with the written medium.

Exactly. All the descriptions we get of layers upon layers of clothes: woollen small clothes, leather, mail, cloaks... all for shits and giggles. 

:agree:

Don't get me started on Lady Stoneheart. It is one of GRRM's worst mistakes so far, which he stubbornly clinges onto. I am patiently waiting for TWoW to see what on earth GRRM will do with her. In any scenario, I expect a monumental failure which I will gladly roast.

For me the jury’s still out on LSH. I think if anyone can make it work, it’s Martin. We need the next volume to be certain either way, though. 

Cheap trick. I thought people liked ASOIAF because it was supposed to be a grown up fantasy series.

Indeed. 

On 6/16/2020 at 12:46 AM, 300 H&H Magnum said:

I wholeheartedly agree.  I would feel cheated if Jon does not die.  Getting stabbed by Bowen was one of the few interesting moments in his chapters.  

22 hours ago, Pontius Pilate said:

Jon is not coming back with a suntan.  He won't look like a Hawaiian sunset.  His blood has leaked out.  Cold-blooded in every sense of the word.  Like, dare I say, Lady Stoneheart.  He was thinking of Arya and revenge at the end of his life.  He will come back stuck on the same thoughts.  I could be wrong but he will be the Alpha wolf of the Stark wolf pack.  He and Arya will finally break free from human customs and can live on as mates.  

Hell, he isn't coming back with any kind of color in his cheeks.  He will indeed be wight and white.   I also think he will become the leader of pack but not until He, Arya, and Rickon all die.  I suspect those three will die near the end of A Dream of Spring but they will get second lives as wild animals.  Likely wolves.  

9 hours ago, Mithras said:

If it was the intent of Bowen & the gang to kill Jon right there, don't you think they would check his pulse to make sure Jon is dead dead?
Are you suggesting that they are incompetent killers?
If they stick a couple of daggers into him and they don't see the blood ... they could just finish killing Jon in other ways off page. They are just standing over his body anyways.

What about the Chekhov Gun in Melisandre hanging out at Castle Black? A R'hllor priestess that has the potential to resurrect a dead VIP?

The story moved on fine without Bran. We had several POVs covering the events at Winterfell during this period.

If Jon is in a coma, only Mel can provide POVs at Castle Black and their NW politics ... which is too out-of-place for a Mel POV over the course of months. Mel POVs should be more about magic than politics.

Don't get me started on Lady Stoneheart. It is one of GRRM's worst mistakes so far, which he stubbornly clinges onto. I am patiently waiting for TWoW to see what on earth GRRM will do with her. In any scenario, I expect a monumental failure which I will gladly roast

100% disagree. This is one of the things D&D and GRRM fought over that probably made GRRM abandon them.
I see the point you and D&D are trying to make. Resurrecting Catelyn after the traumatizing Red Wedding cheapens the emotions of the RW.
BUT THIS IS GEORGE RR MARTIN's STORY, TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT. In the case of D&D, he left them.

Catelyn has lost her husband to Joffrey, lost Sansa as a hostage, Arya is MIA, lost Bran & Rickon to Theon, and lost Robb to the Freys & Boltons.

Her story is straight up tragedy and that would be all it is if she stayed dead (like HBO).

BUT in the books, she gets resurrected and goes on a vendetta spree ... perhaps even a redemption arc because her hatred of Jon Snow is placed incorrectly because of R+L.
Lady Stoneheart has a bigger story waiting for us. She and Jon Snow have unfinished business. She and a lot of characters have unfinished business, like Jaime & Brienne.
If GRRM kept Catelyn dead, it would the same as ordering pie and finding there are no Frey-lings in it.

A Song of Ice and Fire is a grown-up fantasy with resurrections.
Ice-wights are resurrected with a song of ice ... and there is an army of them.
Lets get some more fire-wights resurrected to a song of fire ... to balance the story.
But the REAL story is the Song of Ice AND Fire.

Forget physical appearance for the time being.  A more immediate question is who will bring him back from the dead.  There are three possibilities:  Mellissandre, Others, and Bran.  Mel has no experience.  The results will be similar to Catelyn.  Animated but heavily broken body.  It won't last long.  The Others can make him a wight.  Bran cannot bring his body back to life but he can transfer his soul to another host for a one-way switch. 

I think the answers to what will happen with Jon and the how of it are contained in the Dany chapters of AGoT. Mirri Maz Duur studied in Asshai, the same place Melisandre was. And Mel has more going on for her. She has the magic of the Wall that has been like a battery for her own magic. Her powers have been growing since she's been there. 

Only death can pay for life. A great gift requires a great sacrifice. There are two types of magic present at the Wall, and Bran is beyond it with BR. You can bet that we will have at least one Bran POV at the Wall.

There's no doubt Jon will come back from this experience changed. 

Archived