US Politics: 133 Days to Nov. 3, But Who's Counting?

Fragile Bird

15 minutes ago, Triskele said:

Lots of buzz today about Trump not being able to pick up a glass of water with one hand and then clearly struggling to go down the ramp at his West Point talk.  

Yeah I wasn't sure what they were getting at with that. Are those obvious indicators of some sort of mental decline?

22 minutes ago, Triskele said:

Lots of buzz today about Trump not being able to pick up a glass of water with one hand and then clearly struggling to go down the ramp at his West Point talk.  

Here is the video, really just kind of looks like an old man who isn't in the best of shape going down a ramp

It does kind of remind me of a bit in this clip from The President Show though

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/yyx9pl/the-president-show-the-president-s-tour

39 minutes ago, Triskele said:

There's video of both.  Dr. Bandy Lee at Yale who is one of the main doctor's behind that book from a few years ago saying that Trump is clearly not mentally well from a psychiatrist's standpoint tweeted that what's on the video is a sign of something neurological.  Don't know how clear cut that is to all medical professionals.

From Trump who hates nothing more than looking week both do not look good on camera.  

Bandy Lee does not seem to have any expertise on neurological problems and so should not be diagnosing someone with them from one video on one occasion. I think it is fine to diagnose Trump as a narcissist because we have literally hundreds if not thousands of data points on that issue. I think saying he has neurological problems on this basis is way, way more problematical.

I'm pretty sure that's how I walk down stairs when I'm high.

Trump is old, yeah, and no doubt going senile. He's 74 after all.

Let's hope Biden can look better... At 77.

Edit: did y'all see the Lindsay Graham ad'? Where you discussing this the other day? These threads move too fast sometimes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=60&v=g5Xpwyd4aMM&feature=emb_logo

1 hour ago, Triskele said:

There's video of both.  Dr. Bandy Lee at Yale who is one of the main doctor's behind that book from a few years ago saying that Trump is clearly not mentally well from a psychiatrist's standpoint tweeted that what's on the video is a sign of something neurological.  Don't know how clear cut that is to all medical professionals.

From Trump who hates nothing more than looking week both do not look good on camera.  

Yeah, he really did not handle that scrutiny well. When I was really suffering from my rheumatoid/psoriatic arthritis just over a year ago, right before it was diagnosed, I was doing things like Trump. I had significant cognitive decline at the time as well. I suppose it could well be neurological. The thing that stumps me a bit with Trump is that he seems to have long periods of time without these kinds of issues. I saw the water drinking clip and part of me thought, "I guess it could be a joint locked up?" The stairs issue seemed stranger for sure. I'll try and see what I can find from medical professionals.

1 hour ago, GrimTuesday said:

Here is the video, really just kind of looks like an old man who isn't in the best of shape going down a ramp

It does kind of remind me of a bit in this clip from The President Show though

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/yyx9pl/the-president-show-the-president-s-tour

I think I agree. I used to work at a retirement facility, and I had to help plenty of the residents down slopes and stairs like this, but they were fine cognitively. Trump's also in terrible shape, so I'm sure that doesn't help. 

Side note, I do like that there's a book coming out that deals with the contention between Melania and Ivanka and (Washington Post, they may have limited clicks) their confusing roles to the Don.

Trump looks feeble going down the ramp, and it kinda looks like one of his legs is giving him particular trouble.  But nothing particularly out of the ordinary - he's a 74 year old, out of shape man.  

If Trump hadn't tweeted about this, it would have been a non issue. As it is, it's just another thing that makes him look weak, just like virtually everything these days.

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

Trump looks feeble going down the ramp, and it kinda looks like one of his legs is giving him particular trouble.  But nothing particularly out of the ordinary - he's a 74 year old, out of shape man.  

If Trump hadn't tweeted about this, it would have been a non issue. As it is, it's just another thing that makes him look weak, just like virtually everything these days.

Agreed.  The only reason this is all "something", is that Trump himself gets so defensive about it all.  

I think Trump would have had a lot more to worry about if one of the younger Dems was the nominee, or even Warren, who is very energetic. For Biden, its hard to make the case for him being more vigorous, but who knows how different they will feel when they're on stage together?

3 hours ago, Triskele said:

Politico on just this question and how the appearance of weakness has hurt candidates fairly or not.  Not so sure that this is nothing.

"Trump is Right to Worry About that Glass of Water"

(pretty sure unlimited clicks)

Yeah I don't think it's nothing in the sense that this makes him look weak. I was more thinking it wasn't abnormal from an objective point of view. Shit remember Rubio's chances of securing the Republican nomination because he mishandled a bottle of water? This stuff matters. He's weak as fuck, and he's playing like he's tough.

Saw this the other day - the fact Charlie Cook is putting Dan Sullivan's seat in Alaska in an opportunity (likely instead of solid Republican) column for Democrats is quite telling.  @The Great Unwashed mentioned a few days ago how Trump is spending money and advertising in Oklahoma.  That may just be due to the rally, but it's an increasingly noticeable pattern wherein the GOP is investing resources in places they never really would in recent cycles. 

That's, usually, a strong indicator that things are going to go very bad for a party.  Usually.  This cycle, who knows, but the indicators lately are very very encouraging.  Also thought the movement in the Alaska race was noteworthy because I just mentioned recently if I had to bet on a random red state to turn blue this cycle, that was my pick.  As the article notes, Alaska implemented automatic registration in 2016.  That could be helpful.  Then again, increased turnout in Alaska could also quite possibly benefit the GOP.

9 hours ago, Maithanet said:

Maybe he struggled with the slope because he wears lifts.

The Collins campaign just released an internal polling showing her up 48-47 on Sara Gideon. 

That would be rough enough for Collins, but the cherry on top is that the poll is from April and just getting released now. Things must be getting really dire.

16 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

I felt the same way in the summer of 2016, where the polls were  uniformly bad for Trump and I was sure a landslide was coming.

The polling and subsequent trendlines did not look this favorable, no.  At least not so thoroughly.  For instance, the Dems did not have this level of generic ballot advantage at this point in 2016, and it's very unlikely to close up the way it did then with an intensely disliked Republican incumbent.

34 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

I felt the same way in the summer of 2016, where the polls were  uniformly bad for Trump and I was sure a landslide was coming. Yes, this time is different for sure because of reasons already outlined, but still steeling myself for Trump winning in a squeaker.

I take some solace in the fact that pollsters rarely make the same mistake twice.  While the polls can always be wrong, they're more likely to be slightly Trump favorable than slightly democratic favorable, because they got burned in 2016.  If the general polls show Biden +3 in the big swing states he needs to win, then IMO it's more likely to be Biden +6 than Trump +0.5. 

Ron Perlman has gotten under some conservative skins today. Enough to have Ted Cruz challenge him to a wrestling match against sexual assault enabler and fellow traitor to his country, Gym Jordan. Fat drunk, Matt Gaetz, is farting around in all of this too. Trumpscum sure are weird.

7 minutes ago, Morpheus said:

Ron Perlman has gotten under some conservative skins today. Enough to have Ted Cruz challenge him to a wrestling match against sexual assault enabler and fellow traitor to his country, Gym Jordan. Fat drunk, Matt Gaetz, is farting around in all of this too. Trumpscum sure are weird.

I saw that Perlman had taken Gaetz to the woodshed, but didn't know Cruz had jumped in to defend Gaetz's honor.

Archived