US Politics: 133 Days to Nov. 3, But Who's Counting?

Fragile Bird

I now firmly believe the timing of the impeachment was all wrong. If it was held now, with the Bolton revelations and the low approval ratings and poll numbers for the GoP (and with the botched COVID response, with the coronavirus being hard to predict), then we would have seen totally different behavior from some of the GoP members. I think at that time they were very confident of his re-election prospects.

2 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

I now firmly believe the timing of the impeachment was all wrong. If it was held now, with the Bolton revelations and the low approval ratings and poll numbers for the GoP (and with the botched COVID response, with the coronavirus being hard to predict), then we would have seen totally different behavior from some of the GoP members. I think at that time they were very confident of his re-election prospects.

But then again, guys like Graham are now not just firmly tied to that dead hooker, at this point they are married to it.

14 minutes ago, Fez said:

Not sure there's anything truly shocking in Bolton's book (based on the statements from reporters with advance copies). We already knew Trump is a monstrous asshole who is both incredibly stupid and incredibly corrupt. Now we have a few more examples of impeachable offenses that Republicans will ignore that we can throw on the pile.

But holy fuck is this presidency a nightmare.

I found this pretty shocking, even for Trump:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jun/17/john-bolton-book-trump-china-accusations-dictators

In his pursuit of a good personal relationship with Xi, Trump is described as brushing aside human rights issues, even providing encouragement to the communist leader to continue to build concentration camps for China’s Muslim Uighur population.

Trump emerges in the pages of the book as entirely unconcerned by China’s gross human rights violations, including the incarceration of over a million Uighurs and other Muslims in Xinjiang province.

“At the opening dinner of the Osaka G20 meeting in June 2019, with only interpreters present, Xi had explained to Trump why he was basically building concentration camps in Xinjiang,” Bolton writes, according to an excerpt published in the Wall Street Journal. “According to our interpreter, Trump said that Xi should go ahead with building the camps, which Trump thought was exactly the right thing to do. The National Security Council’s top Asia staffer, Matthew Pottinger, told me that Trump said something very similar during his November 2017 trip to China.”

8 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Being able to predict a world wide pandemic, global economy tanking, and one of the most (if not the most) atypical US elections ever over 6 months out. Then timing impeachment to take advantage? That would take some crystal ball.

36 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Or ya know, if Bolton chose to testify instead of write a book, maybe things would have been different. End of day though, you don't plan your impeachment around a global pandemic to hurt the incumbent president. You do it because you believe he's a threat and you have proof to back that up.

46 minutes ago, Fez said:

Not sure there's anything truly shocking in Bolton's book (based on the statements from reporters with advance copies). We already knew Trump is a monstrous asshole who is both incredibly stupid and incredibly corrupt. Now we have a few more examples of impeachable offenses that Republicans will ignore that we can throw on the pile.

But holy fuck is this presidency a nightmare.

Plus Bolton's book would only cover the 18 months he served as National Security Advisor, there are still 2+ more years of Trump idiocy not covered.

1 hour ago, Leofric said:

Plus Bolton's book would only cover the 18 months he served as National Security Advisor, there are still 2+ more years of Trump idiocy not covered.

Apparently Trump's niece is also wtiting a tell all book about her uncle. That should be interesting reading this summer along with Bolton's book. 

18 minutes ago, maarsen said:

Apparently Trump's niece is also wtiting a tell all book about her uncle. That should be interesting reading this summer along with Bolton's book. 

Apparently Trump made fun of his father as he was dying, suffering from Alzheimer's. So she says.

22 minutes ago, maarsen said:

His niece, Mary Trump, has a master's in literature and a doctorate in psychology, so it will definitely be interesting to see her impressions of her Uncle Donnie as well as all the dirt she may spill.   Trump tried to screw her out of her inheritance when her grandfather died, so doubt she has any feelings of loyalty to him.

3 hours ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Was talking about this with my dad recently, he was shocked at how irrelevant the impeachment is just 6 months later.  And, again with a nod to the clarity of hindsight, out of all the shit to go after Trump for it really seems like they picked the most difficult to explain to the average person situation.   

Agree that if that all came up now, however, Trump would be facing much more scrutiny from members of his own party.  But really other than talk, none have them have broken rank in any meaningful way.  And if he is re-elected, I can't see any GOP members of Congress breaking rank for any reason for the next couple years.  Wtf.

3 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

But then again, guys like Graham are now not just firmly tied to that dead hooker, at this point they are married to it.

Taking this farther than I probably should, but they are also going to town on the dead hooker.

Alright let's look at this decision deductively.  You hold off on actually engaging in impeachment proceedings, the House can still have investigations on Ukraine and the Mueller Report, but how long before the public gets sick of that shit?  Especially once everything gets shut down in March?  You can't impeach him for that at this point, the GOP would just coalesce around Trump and say you're using a pandemic to settle old political scores.  And they'd kinda be right.  The articles of impeachment would have to be entirely different.

So, what does Pelosi impeach him for - while she's also trying to hold hearings with social distancing and polarizing the electorate at a time when right-leaning voters not only are getting sick of Trump due to Covid and the economy but also policing?  Gross incompetence handling Covid?  Or the economy?  K.  How does that even work?  Nobody talked about impeaching Hoover.  I'm not saying there aren't plenty of reasons to impeach Trump, but by this point you've negated the ones with solid bases.

Then, finally, he won't be impeached, the GOP would rally around him even if they knew it was a fait accompli because what the fuck else you're gonna do, and you just gave Trump more recent ammo on "they just tried to get rid of me because I disagreed with them on covid response."  Honestly, even in hindsight, sounds like a thoroughly stupid proposition.

Speaking of dumbness...

There’s a NYT article about the wife of a Kentucky congressman who died suddenly yesterday, likely of a brain aneurysm. She was 39.

I immediately thought of Trump accusing Joe Scarborough of murdering that office worker. I almost posted a comment asking if Trump was going to accuse him of murdering his wife.

But Congressman Barr is a Republican, so I guess there was scant chance of that happening.

16 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Speaking of dumbness...

There’s a NYT article about the wife of a Kentucky congressman who died suddenly yesterday, likely of a brain aneurysm. She was 39.

I immediately thought of Trump accusing Joe Scarborough of murdering that office worker. I almost posted a comment asking if Trump was going to accuse him of murdering his wife.

But Congressman Barr is a Republican, so I guess there was scant chance of that happening.

Scarborough was a Republican.

5 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

Scarborough was a Republican.

Not just that, let's be clear.  Joe Scarborough was a Gingrich Republican.  Then resigned, and within 3 years later launched a cable news show entitled Scarborough Country which was almost as influential in the premise of the parody for the Colbert Report as Bill O'Reilly.  Until Joe saw the writing on the wall, he was just as big a piece of shit as every other Dubya-era GOP fuck.  And then some.  He gets no points from me.

Archived