US Politics: 133 Days to Nov. 3, But Who's Counting?

Fragile Bird

4 minutes ago, Ran said:

Someone noted that basically if it weren't for the sheer dishonesty and incompetence of the Trump administration, the results of these rulings would have gone his way. So we're kind of lucky (and this underscores how bloody important it is to get him out of office).

I've seen it pointed out that Roberts went with the administration on the travel ban, giving them the benefit of the doubt despite the sloppy procedures and incompetence. But the administration apparently took that as a sign that they could get even worse, and it has pissed Roberts off. First with the census case last year, and now the DACA case.

20 hours ago, OnionAhaiReborn said:

Not shocking to me for Trump. It seems perfectly aligned with character deprivated, moral lacking and dignity-less the classless orange sloth has displayed for months on end. Nothing is beneath this creature. He's even worse than we can imagine.

Boy, at this point, Trump must be looking for any good news. I dont even know what form it will take. A somewhat V shaped recovery looks unlikely, so his economic numbers are toast. Packing the courts didnt do anything for the big ticket cases (particularly immigration, his signature issue). And his mugging with a bible may even piss off some of the more....moderate evangelicals.

The new 538 average puts Biden up 9 points nationally. But some of my more Trump friendly in-laws still seem to think Trump has a chance to win in a landslide, so there is that.

24 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Boy, at this point, Trump must be looking for any good news. I dont even know what form it will take. A somewhat V shaped recovery looks unlikely, so his economic numbers are toast. Packing the courts didnt do anything for the big ticket cases (particularly immigration, his signature issue). And his mugging with a bible may even piss off some of the more....moderate evangelicals.

The new 538 average puts Biden up 9 points nationally. But some of my more Trump friendly in-laws still seem to think Trump has a chance to win in a landslide, so there is that.

His campaign knows Trump's in trouble too...

This is the classic move of a campaign that's badly behind and looking for anything that could change the narrative.

54 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Not shocking to me for Trump. It seems perfectly aligned with character deprivated, moral lacking and dignity-less the classless orange sloth has displayed for months on end. Nothing is beneath this creature. He's even worse than we can imagine.

Relevant: these are things that Trump could do which would be genuinely shocking:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/06/18/heres-what-truly-shocking-revelation-would-sound-like-john-bolton/

15 minutes ago, DMC said:

When your campaign is in trouble, it's always best to call Rudy Giuliani.

Well we know Trump won't be carrying him out of any courthouses, because that qualifies as exercise and that can kill you. 

Maybe he'll use a golf cart to pick him up inside though. 

17 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Well we know Trump won't be carrying him out of any courthouses, because that qualifies as exercise and that can kill you. 

Maybe he'll use a golf cart to pick him up inside though. 

That's the one positive from his Presidency.

I have always said, that Golf is not a fucking sport. And now whenever somebody claims it is, I can always point at fat Don and say: yeah, right.

46 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

That's the one positive from his Presidency.

I have always said, that Golf is not a fucking sport. And now whenever somebody claims it is, I can always point at fat Don and say: yeah, right.

As a Jewish golf lover, I'm just going to come out and say it, this is why the Nazis lost the war.

And I must say, German football is less interesting than English or Spanish games. 

Italian game is TBD.

You all suck at basketball though! 

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

Good grief, Trump thinks journalists should be executed for not revealing sources.

Been saying it for a while that he’s a fascist. Said there were nazis literally in his administration at the highest levels, and some here that I don’t see post often if at all anymore, said I was being ridiculous. 

5-4 decision with Roberts joining the liberals. 

it's not really an INA decision; it's an APA decision.  on the immigration question, the dispute is de minimis:

The dispute before the Court is not whether DHS may rescind DACA. All parties agree that it may.  The dispute is instead primarily about the procedure the agency followed in doing so.

slip op. at 9. part IV of the decision is the equal protection claim, finding no basis for the claim; sotormayor did not join this part. the opinion otherwise stands for the proposition that the rescission of the DACA is arbitrary and capricious; DHS needs to revise and resubmit, taking into consideration the reliance interests at stake--

These are certainly noteworthy concerns, but they are not necessarily dispositive. To the Government and lead dissent’s point, DHS could respond that reliance on forbearance and benefits was unjustified in light of the express limitations in the DACA Memorandum.  Or it might conclude that reliance interests in benefits that it views as unlawful are entitled to no or diminished weight.  And, even if DHS ultimately concludes that the reliance interests rank as serious, they are but one factor to consider.  DHS may determine, in the particular context before it, that other interests and policy concerns outweigh any reliance interests.  Making that difficult decision was the agency’s job, but the agency failed to do it. 

slip op. at 25.  hardly a great victory.  that trump and the rest of the fascists are crying so loudly indicates their abject worthlessness. measure is unceasing, eh, inchoroi?

37 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

As a Jewish golf lover, I'm just going to come out and say it, this is why the Nazis lost the war.

Dude, you are starting to overplay the Jew card. Just sayin'. But, ok, I'll play along, and I will come back to that at the end of my reponse.

So your argument is, if the Nazis just had the tender Golf bodies of Donald, and thus couldn't have fit into their own air planes, they would have won the war? Is that your argument?

40 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

And I must say, German football is less interesting than English or Spanish games. 

Spain has a proper title race, and I rate the average quality of their league higher. No, argument there. Fan scene wise, I disagree. Otherwise, pretty rich argument, coming from a guy whose national sport is literally as interesting and entertaining as a Baseball game.

41 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

You all suck at basketball though! 

You might take that argument to that guy.

Anyway, as promised, back to your Jewish golf lover argument. A cynical reponse would be along the line, well, if golf is about the height of sporting aspirations, it somehow explains the lack of Jewish players in the NBA or NHL.

2 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

So your argument is, if the Nazis just had the tender Golf bodies of Donald, and thus couldn't have fit into their own air planes, they would have won the war?

Are you saying the nazis had too few Görings?

Half way seriously off on a tangent here, but what little I remember about the nazi inner circle suggests that more Görings could have saved us a world war. 

I root for the guy. Retrospectivly.

7 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Dude, you are starting to overplay the Jew card.

Said card has the distinction of never being able to be over played. And that's forever. Your great-grandchildren will have to learn how their great-great-great-grandfathers were evil pieces of shit.  And you can just take the L on that one my friend. 

8 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

So your argument is, if the Nazis just had the tender Golf bodies of Donald, and thus couldn't have fit into their own air planes, they would have won the war? Is that your argument?

Maybe just don't fight on too many fronts? :rolleyes:

11 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Said card has the distinction of never being able to be over played. And that's forever. Your great-grandchildren will have to learn how their great-great-great-grandfathers were evil pieces of shit.  And you can just take the L on that one my friend. 

Generally speaking yes. On my Grandfathers in particular. My paternal Grandfather was a member of the social democrats, so he got to enjoy the Nazi hospitality of a jail cell (not a concentration camp tho). My maternal grandma got knocked up by a British soldier post war. That's about all I know about him. AFAIK she wanted to go with him to that cursed Island, but her aunt or grand aunt (really not sure, what exactly she was) had a mental breakdown, and decided it was a good idea to wash her own eyes with petroleum. Long story short, my grandmother ended up staying in Germany and he left for that nutty lil Island west of the continent. Thing was a bit of a taboo story, so my mum didn't know much more about her biological father. True story.

6 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Generally speaking yes. On my Grandfathers in particular. My paternal Grandfather was a member of the social democrats, so he got to enjoy the Nazi hospitality of a jail cell (not a concentration camp tho). My maternal grandma got knocked up by a British soldier post war. That's about all I know about him. AFAIK she wanted to go with him to that cursed Island, but her aunt or grand aunt (really not sure, what exactly she was) had a mental breakdown, and decided it was a good idea to wash her own eyes with petroleum. Long story short, my grandmother ended up staying in Germany and he left for that nutty lil Island west of the continent. Thing was a bit of a taboo story, so my mum didn't know much more about her biological father. True story.

Ah, don't be so hard on yourself. I'm a German Jew, and laugh at much of it. It's okay, you Sour Kraut 

Looks like Amy McGrath is going down in flames in the Democratic primary in Kentucky, Booker is even looking better than here in the general. Granted it is just one poll, and one done online so it might not be top of the line, but it is still pretty stark and confirms what we are hearing about the Democratic primary there. It's all academic since McConnell is going to romp to victory with little difficulty, but it is still an interesting result considering the commonly held opinion that the only way to win in a red state is to run someone who is basically a republican themselves.

Archived