US Politics: 133 Days to Nov. 3, But Who's Counting?

Fragile Bird

He just took 5 to 10 minutes to tell us that he got a great deal on a couple of new Airforce 1s.

Now we're getting into how much Germany sucks because they don't pay enough to NATO, which is less fun.

ETA: he just said the Military Industrial Complex doesn't like him because there is too much peace not enough bombs being dropped. I feel like I have whiplash.

He is a moron and very likely to win. Prejudice and inability to think are nothing new, and people don't care about whether he actually does anything that works, they just want to see someone in power mouthing their thoughts.

32 minutes ago, Triskele said:

On all of this Barr stuff:

I have heard the argument that it's really bad territory when a country turns into a place where successive administrations are investigating one another, and it certainly makes a degree of sense.  But man would it suck beyond belief if we "turned the page" and left Trumpworld uninvestigated if we're lucky enough to see Trump gone after this next election.

Something that has added to the chilling effect for me during this whole nightmare if the brazenness of Trumpworld.  They've just acted from moment 1 like they'd won a permanent victory and could never get in trouble for anything.  Hope they're wrong.  

I don't think we should investigate as any sort of gotcha or taking Trump down for the sake of taking him down for the reasons you stated. It'll just martyr him and the gotcha's inevitable anyhow.

But Trump revealed that a lot of our checks and balances are only held up by respect for tradition, fear of public opinion on denying that tradition, and the assumption that legislators will not be sucked into extreme and/or cult-like bases and that's clearly not enough. Too many of our protections have no teeth. We need to go over *everything* he's done both officially and culturally in great detail and put in stronger protections to make sure sure these things don't happen again. Trump is stupid and cares more about himself than any agenda. The next one could be far, far worse.

I'm hoping a collection of former and current legislators, presidents, academics, legal scholars, investigators, journalists, anyone else who can substantively contribute, will put together a brain trust to look at the Trump admin and what's led up to it. If we blithely think this won't occur again and do nothing to ensure it won't, we deserve whatever we get in the future.

So whatever Barr’s motives (most likely due to the investigation of Giuliani and associates) was in asking Berman to resign, it seems like the whole thing backfired. Barr had to publicly confirm that he would follow “the operation of law” and appoint the deputy USA, Audrey Strauss, to replace Berman, who by all accounts is a straight shooter. In addition, she is heading the office investigating President Trump’s business and campaign finances. Strauss in the past argued against and defeated Roy Cohn (Trump’s mentor) in court. Sweeeet! 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/acting-new-york-us-attorney-once-defeated-roy-cohn-investigated-iran-contra/2020/06/20/82378274-b332-11ea-8758-bfd1d045525a_story.html

Barr also had to publicly admit that if there is any improper interference regarding any pending cases in the USA office, the Justice Dept IG will investigate. And Lindsey Graham just affirmed his confidence in Strauss. So Barr and his crazy boss will probably now have to deal with an even more troublesome adversary in Strauss.

It’s not the corruption of Trump and his cronies that amazes me, it’s their sheer incompetence and stupidity while committing these corrupt acts that is so dumbfounding. They are like bank robbers who leave behind their finger prints, DNA, cell phones, pictures, and even an accomplice for the authorities to easily identify, find, and prosecute them.

11 minutes ago, teej6 said:

So whatever Barr’s motives (most likely due to the investigation of Giuliani and associates) was in asking Berman to resign, it seems like the whole thing backfired. Barr had to publicly confirm that he would follow “the operation of law” and appoint the deputy USA, Audrey Strauss, to replace Berman, who by all accounts is a straight shooter. In addition, she is heading the office investigating President Trump’s business and campaign finances. Strauss in the past argued against and defeated Roy Cohn (Trump’s mentor) in court. Sweeeet! 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/acting-new-york-us-attorney-once-defeated-roy-cohn-investigated-iran-contra/2020/06/20/82378274-b332-11ea-8758-bfd1d045525a_story.html

Barr also had to publicly admit that if there is any improper interference regarding any pending cases in the USA office, the Justice Dept IG will investigate. And Lindsey Graham just affirmed his confidence in Strauss. So Barr and his crazy boss will probably now have to deal with an even more troublesome adversary in Strauss and they can’t remove her unless they get SEC’s Clayton confirmed.

It’s not the corruption of Trump and his cronies that amazes me, it’s their sheer incompetence and stupidity while committing these corrupt acts that is so dumbfounding. They are like bank robbers who leave behind their finger prints, DNA, cell phones, pictures, and even an accomplice for the authorities to easily identify, find, and prosecute them.

Hasn't hurt deathcultchief before or changed a goddamned thing.  Don't try and fix what ain't broke.

5 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Lol, 6 staffers working the the Tulsa rally set-up have tested positive for Covid-19.

I guess they were testing everyone ahead of Trump's arrival. If the gods are with us, someone tested false negative.

This same clowncar of fools is slated to come up here to Northern Wisconsin in less than a week. One only knows how much covid they will spew out into our previously safe community?

59 minutes ago, Lollygag said:

I don't think we should investigate as any sort of gotcha or taking Trump down for the sake of taking him down for the reasons you stated. It'll just martyr him and the gotcha's inevitable anyhow.

But Trump revealed that a lot of our checks and balances are only held up by respect for tradition, fear of public opinion on denying that tradition, and the assumption that legislators will not be sucked into extreme and/or cult-like bases and that's clearly not enough. Too many of our protections have no teeth. We need to go over *everything* he's done both officially and culturally in great detail and put in stronger protections to make sure sure these things don't happen again. Trump is stupid and cares more about himself than any agenda. The next one could be far, far worse.

I'm hoping a collection of former and current legislators, presidents, academics, legal scholars, investigators, journalists, anyone else who can substantively contribute, will put together a brain trust to look at the Trump admin and what's led up to it. If we blithely think this won't occur again and do nothing to ensure it won't, we deserve whatever we get in the future.

We need serious structural restrictions on Executive power.  And have needed such restrictions for quite some time.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/06/20/coronavirus-live-updates-us/

At his rally in Tulsa on Saturday, President Trump called coronavirus testing “a double-edged sword” and said he asked officials to conduct fewer coronavirus tests to keep case numbers down. After claiming the United States has tested 25 million people, Trump said: “When you do testing to that extent, you’re going to find more people, you’re going to find more cases. So I said to my people, ‘Slow the testing down, please!’ ”

1 hour ago, teej6 said:

I can't resist this reminding me of a Guy Ritchie scene:D 

32 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

We need serious structural restrictions on Executive power.  And have needed such restrictions for quite some time.

It's not really possible with the current configuration of power. Regardless of the party he or she belongs to, the President has no incentive to limit executive power and for Congress to do so, they need veto-proof majorities in both chambers. The Supreme Court can (and sometimes does) impose some restrictions, but since the executive branch appoints the Justices, it can select for those that are not likely to impede it.

1 hour ago, Altherion said:

It's not really possible with the current configuration of power. Regardless of the party he or she belongs to, the President has no incentive to limit executive power and for Congress to do so, they need veto-proof majorities in both chambers. The Supreme Court can (and sometimes does) impose some restrictions, but since the executive branch appoints the Justices, it can select for those that are not likely to impede it.

Biden wins, he'll be saddled with a conservative, politicized Supreme Court.  Perhaps they would constrict presidential power (the right thing) for the wrong reason (partisan politics)?  I would also point out that at the state level, republican legislatures unhappy with democratic governors have repeatedly sought, with some success, to limit the power of the governors office in those states.  

Thank you teenagers of America and fans of K Pop.

Apperently through Tik Tok and other social media means fans of KPop and a bunch of teenage kids reserved tickets for the rally and.....never went.  Not only that, they provided a ton of false info, so the data mining they do at these things is also a bust.

The article is NYT, so limited clicks.

2 hours ago, Guy Kilmore said:

Thank you teenagers of America and fans of K Pop.

Apperently through Tik Tok and other social media means fans of KPop and a bunch of teenage kids reserved tickets for the rally and.....never went.  Not only that, they provided a ton of false info, so the data mining they do at these things is also a bust.

The article is NYT, so limited clicks.

Lololol this is delicious.

AOC- 

Actually you just got ROCKED by teens on TikTok who flooded the Trump campaign w/ fake ticket reservations & tricked you into believing a million people wanted your white supremacist open mic enough to pack an arena during COVID

Shout out to Zoomers. Y’all make me so proud. ☺️https://twitter.com/parscale/status/1274484815576907778 

Archived